Top Posters In This Topic

• Steve (sdh2903)

• CosKev

• corsechris

• Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A socially distanced pass 

Well after 8 months with no westy in the garage I'm now the proud (Well ish) owner of  a lot of parts that may well, one day, end up drivable  A cheeky eBay bid later (not expecting to win mind) a

Not sure it would make much difference. The pwm bosch valve has very small increments of movement. A 1 percentage point of movement is almost impossible to see by eye.   Got back on to inter

Posted Images

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

Good luck tomorrow!

• Thanks 1
Tim (TimDave25) - Joint Thames Valley AO

Good luck today.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Steve (sdh2903)

So it failed. And it was apparent it would fail as soon as I left the house as the speedo wasn't working on the Aim dash. Tried a few things in racestudio but no joy the led on the sensor is blinking but nothing displayed so guess I'll need to be looking at the signal wiring.

Also failed on emissions. Passed idle but failed at fast idle. This was always going to be a gamble due to the vvt issues during mapping. I guess its had more of an effect than I thought as co was way up at 3.3 and lambda of 0.89.

3rd fail point was my own fault for not reading the manual but something I've never heard of. The toggle switches and guards don't meet the requirements as below.

20200318_131659_copy_2016x1512.thumb.jpg.f9a8f51a15b4055cf5219cc8328da98e.jpg

So for that one its going to need some creative thinking maybe remove the guards and make a surround for the switches so that the toggles are less than 9.5mm protrusion. I don't really want to have to do a new dash panel.

The tester was very stringent but very fair. Probably the most stringent of the 3 IVAs I've done but was happy with the overall build and was giving me ideas on how to meet the dash requirements which was nice.

Another fly in the ointment is that they are hearing they may be shutting down non necessary testing for 12 weeks due to the virus issue so it may be a good while before I can get a retest.

• Sad 2
Chris King
33 minutes ago, Steve (sdh2903) said:

Tried a few things in racestudio but no joy the led on the sensor is blinking but nothing displayed

I had that and it transpired it was simply a dodgy connection in the wires that push into the connector to the dash itself. One of them wasn’t pushed in 100% (took me swapping three sensors to figure it out!)

Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO
42 minutes ago, Steve (sdh2903) said:

So for that one its going to need some creative thinking maybe remove the guards and make a surround for the switches so that the toggles are less than 9.5mm protrusion. I don't really want to have to do a new dash panel.

Can we see a close up picture of the offending items? To aid suggestions etc. Could you shorten the toggle switches?

Steve (sdh2903)

Cheers Chris. Its the first thing to check as I also have had issues with these pins in the past and the dash has been on and off a lot the past week.

Steve (sdh2903)
14 minutes ago, Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO said:

Can we see a close up picture of the offending items? To aid suggestions etc. Could you shorten the toggle switches?

20200318_135137_copy_2016x1512.thumb.jpg.203593b9d4fa7a54924f1d3ed85f9206.jpg

The furthest right toggle is in the exempt zone.

The switches currently protrude 20mm. I'm not sure if the toggle is solid or hollow to shorten it. Plus the switch would be very hard to operate at half length but as a temp measure may work.

My thought was to make say a 12-15mm thick panel with cut outs for the switches, remove the guards and secure the panel to the dash through the existing holes. Maybe some vinyl covered ply or a 3d printed part.

As it only states the switch or control can't protrude more than 9.5 so other items such as the panel can provided it meets radius requirements.

Just swap them for the short plastic lever versions?

To clarify them though, was he able to contact them despite the guards, or is he calling the guards themselves part of the switch, and so a problem? That’s very harsh if it is the case.

Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO
1 minute ago, Steve (sdh2903) said:

20200318_135137_copy_2016x1512.thumb.jpg.203593b9d4fa7a54924f1d3ed85f9206.jpg

The switches currently protrude 20mm. I'm not sure if the toggle is solid or hollow to shorten it. Plus the switch would be very hard to operate at half length but as a temp measure may work.

My thought was to make say a 12-15mm thick panel with cut outs for the switches, remove the guards and secure the panel to the dash through the existing holes. Maybe some vinyl covered ply or a 3d printed part. 

They look very nice and it's crazy they fail on this with the guards around them. I agree a 3D part using the guard or switch mounting holes should work. You could try to find rocker switches of the same diameter, but I doubt you'll get the 10A current rating you'll need for dipped beam etc.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_osacat=58167&_odkw=3+position+round+switch&_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=2+position+round+switch&_sacat=58167

Or are the switches a “soft fail” that wouldn’t have got more than a passing comment if you hadn’t had the major fails with emissions and Speedo?

Steve (sdh2903)
1 minute ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

Or are the switches a “soft fail” that wouldn’t have got more than a passing comment if you hadn’t had the major fails with emissions and Speedo?

No they would have been a fail regardless as I did ask the questions at the end. The tester liked them and agreed they work well especially with gloves on etc. 

I’d be so p****d off with that if he’d failed it on the guards and switches as a proper hard fail, I’d go the passive aggressive route, and (3D) print off weak locking nuts for the switches, then we commented on the retest, I’d push one of the switches through the dash for him myself, (probably with a middle digit quietly raised at the same time!!)

sorry, I know that doesn’t help! Just feeling your frustration.