Top Posters In This Topic

• Steve (sdh2903)

• CosKev

• corsechris

• Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A socially distanced pass 

Well after 8 months with no westy in the garage I'm now the proud (Well ish) owner of  a lot of parts that may well, one day, end up drivable  A cheeky eBay bid later (not expecting to win mind) a

Not sure it would make much difference. The pwm bosch valve has very small increments of movement. A 1 percentage point of movement is almost impossible to see by eye.   Got back on to inter

Posted Images

Steve (sdh2903)

Cheers Chris.

First things first I've been trying to make some space. Needed to get the tub out of the way before I broke it. That's one benefit of the fw body in the sections it all fitted in the loft. But I won't miss not having to sort the rear side joints.

So made up some frame pieces for support and bunged it round the back of the house, just need to get a tarp tomorrow. 

20180504_183844-1612x1209.thumb.jpg.4551d3d6111140721665d106592e9842.jpg

Need to get my castors mounted on my build tressles and I can get the chassis off it's side. 

Hopeful my adapter parts are arriving next week so I'll try and get the engine stripped down a bit this week in preparation.

• Like 3
Exitus
12 minutes ago, Steve (sdh2903) said:

But I won't miss not having to sort the rear side joints.

No, I still have nightmares about ours...

Steve (sdh2903)
Just now, Exitus said:

No, I still have nightmares about ours...

I think I'm still finding the red dust from those joints. I can safely say it was the worst part of that build. 

Adge Cutler- Dorset AO
2 hours ago, Steve (sdh2903) said:

So made up some frame pieces for support

Understand now, going to be a Morgan lookalike  ;)

• Haha 1
BugMan

I’ve got some spare red dust if you want some to make things like old times Steve

Steve (sdh2903)

Had a cheeky couple of hours to myself today to start pulling the big lumps off the engine, despite soaking for three days still sheared 2 ex manifold studs.

First thing noticed was a hole in one of the cam covers which set alarm bells ringing but luckily only looks like shipping damage as the internals were clean and no residue inside.

20180507_130410-1612x1209.thumb.jpg.af11f4f2af0d04afffbcac2d99a45712.jpg

Residual oil looks clean and the cams etc all look in very good condition.

20180507_131027-1209x1612.thumb.jpg.5598dc1233c522f6f4d9a43098455011.jpg

Timing chain also looks in good nick as well but the cover has a slight leak so will need to come off for resealing. 

While it was still strapped to the pallet I managed to rig up the starter and do a compression test. I know it's meant to be done hot but was more to get sight of any major issues. Anyway all were very healthy with only 5 psi max diff between the highest and lowest. My 200 quid eBay punt may be a runner! Which didn't please the Mrs as she has bet me a hundred quid that this particular engine will end up scrap as she reckons "it looks like a pile of crap" :o

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
CosKev

Never seen a cam cover made out of egg shell before???

• Haha 1
  • 4 weeks later...
Steve (sdh2903)

Well this has been a slow start. 1. because life been getting in the way and 2. I've been hindered by the previous owner not keeping his word. I was promised all the receipts, vin plate and keys. 2 months later no sign and the nunney being incredibly unhelpful.

So I didn't want to start too much in case I couldn't get any documents to register the thing. So this week I've taken it into my own hands and the factory have been excellent in providing me with the required paperwork.  Not a full invoice as too long ago. But enough for me to get going and a new vin plate.

Anyway the frame is now back to the bare bones.

20180514_124423-2016x1512.thumb.jpg.01820f7c240a2490011d83f3c8a8eb9c.jpg

Started to strip the engine and got a bit of white sludge which set the bells ringing a bit. But the compression test was ok and when I've removed the sump it looks ok. All the oil ways I can see at the top and bottom just had clean oil.

Starting to look a bit more compact now

20180601_190117-1512x2016.thumb.jpg.1db44673e87cc88541b31e4b0a95870c.jpg

20180601_190213-2016x1512.thumb.jpg.6cfea254b27cb34032bd355847e6aee7.jpg

I was hoping to reuse the oe engine mounts but the nearside one is a big old lump and incorporates an engine mount, oil cooler and filter in one unit. 

20180601_190232-2016x1512.thumb.jpg.cf3035e81d685598a0d8c2ffad441e54.jpg

So I'm not sure which way I'm going to go with mounts. I have a spigot adapter to fit a normal filter but would mean complete new mounts. There's also another option of cutting the oil filter/cooler off the end of the mount and tapping the oil ways to fit unions and fit a remote filter. I'll need to have another think.

Received most of the conversion bits from rocketeer. I'm generally a bit sceptical on adapter plates. But this looks a nice bit of kit.

20180601_190324-1512x2016.thumb.jpg.6f891d1b1ed16eea7a275806221ec57d.jpg

New sump slaved on.

20180601_190149-2016x1512.thumb.jpg.5b752d443c59b379e9a7a1747f731daf.jpg

Next steps are to get the eng and box built up and trial fit to see how we are for mounts. Then the chassis can go off for media blast and paint.

• Like 3
Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

Refresh my memory, whars the Sump?

Captain Colonial
Just now, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

Refresh my memory, whars the Sump?

That’s sumpthing that will become apparent later. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
Steve (sdh2903)

It's a new cast alloy jobbie from rocketeer. The adapter/sump/flywheel have to be really used as a combo as the starter is tucked in next to the sump.

The x type one is cheaper and less bulky than the s-type but unfortunately wouldn't work with the adapter and starter.

• Thanks 1
Thrustyjust

Thank the lord for another car build thread. We seem a bit short of those , so crack on Steve. Need something to read at work :d

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
Adge Cutler- Dorset AO

Glad you've got the documentation sorted, and can now move forward, must have been a bit frustrating to say the least.

Nice to see a different sort of build, keep up the good work.

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

I thought it didn't quite look like previous ones I’d seen used, when I looked a few years ago.