Steve (sdh2903)

What have I done now..... V6 seiw build

Steve (sdh2903)

So since the engine removal/refit saga every time I've ventured into the garage I seemed to have taken steps backward rather than progress. Mainly due to issues around the dash and ecu can bus link. The dash went off to Aim at their request but came back with a clean bill of health. Had more success with Emerald who sent me a new firmware to overcome the issue within a couple of hours. Now I understand it technically wasnt Aims fault but their lack of willing to assist in fault finding wasnt great, their answer was 'it's not getting a good enough power supply' and that was that. They couldn't even be bothered to reply to emails or return a phone call.

I knew my wiring was ok but to satisfy myself I ran a brand new live and a new earth solely for the dash. 

Anyway all is well now and the ECU and dash are being good neighbours and talking to themselves nicely.

So the wiring nest has been put back in place and tidied. 

20190906_182443-1701x3024.thumb.jpg.1a1f89267a1a633d70c3870215845150.jpg

The steering shaft had always been closer to the manifold than I'd like ever since first made up. After the refit it must have been a few mm position difference as it was practically touching. So decided to fit a longer section that I had stashed in a cupboard and made up a new upper piece. Now has 15mm all round now.

20190904_183605-3024x1701.thumb.jpg.7036f6bc5c3f86aaa64e381e296fd543.jpg

Also gave the catch tank a lick of paint ready for mounting on the scuttle. 

20190906_191307-1701x3024.thumb.jpg.cbd2c7d3e3f126ebf68bf52dbdb661b5.jpg

Also gave the old girl a clean up. About 3 months of dust and crap had accumulated everywhere. Amazing how much crap finds its ways into the footwells.

Onwards and upwards at last. I want it running now by this time next week ;)

• Like 8

Kit Car Electronics

I love the minimal dash wiring look! 

Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO
9 minutes ago, Kit Car Electronics said:

Yes you should have seen the wires I chopped off when converting to the Aim dash. 

corsechris
30 minutes ago, Kit Car Electronics said:

Not forgetting the contribution to that made by your Freewheel.

Steve (sdh2903)
30 minutes ago, corsechris said:

Not forgetting the contribution to that made by your Freewheel.

Indeed. In fact I reckon a 2nd freewheel and I could have a wireless dashboard (well not including the 2 plugs for the Aim dash)

I've actually enjoyed the wiring of the new fuse box and relays along with the freewheel. It's also allowed me to remove all the daisy chained stuff as chris says. Also separating circuits etc.

Kit Car Electronics
3 hours ago, Steve (sdh2903) said:

Indeed. In fact I reckon a 2nd freewheel and I could have a wireless dashboard (well not including the 2 plugs for the Aim dash)

I've actually enjoyed the wiring of the new fuse box and relays along with the freewheel. It's also allowed me to remove all the daisy chained stuff as chris says. Also separating circuits etc.

If you ever get really stuck, I have an expansion card that can take it to 16 channels for the enthusiast... 

• Like 2

AndrewOBW
4 hours ago, Kit Car Electronics said:

If you ever get really stuck, I have an expansion card that can take it to 16 channels for the enthusiast... 

Oh, you tease... Don't tempt us, haha... 

• Haha 1

Steve (sdh2903)

Ok today was start attempt no.1.

Fuel in. No leaks. Good start.

Firstly had a little niggle with the fuel pump not priming. Just a pin not quite fully seated in the relay holder. Went over every other pin while I was at it. Didn't find any others.

Set the fuel pressure up. And then went for it. Turning over and the ECU light went green but no joy. 

Checked through the ECU settings and noticed the ignition was set to a distributor rather than distributorless. Changed the setting and with fingers crossed went again. 

Still no noise (well not the right noise) 

Was getting some funny noises coming from the starter. Like the starter was engaging/disengaging. Then when I got underneath it to check the starter meshing and the mrs tried again the horn went off aswell making me jump!!

Then I twigged I hadn't topped the battery up this week. I'd been religiously topping up every night but completely forgot this week. Confirmed with the fluke the battery was well low.

Not sure about the horn thing though unless @Kit Car Electronics has built in a new low battery warning into the freewheel ;)

Battery is on charge ready for another attempt later this week.

• Like 2

AdgeC

So near! Fingers crossed for next try Steve, hope the battery solves the issue. 

Steve (sdh2903)

Suspect the replacement starter is toast. With the battery fully charged the starter is whirring over but not cranking the engine. Every now and again the pinion engages fully and it stops.

Checked the alignment and its spot on, all connections are good etc. Nothings changed really from last week when it was cranking over perfectly. 

Think I'll bite the bullet this time with a new one rather than play Ebay roulette.

• Sad 1

corsechris

Doh!

That has to be frustrating at this stage of the build 😕

Steve (sdh2903)
16 minutes ago, corsechris said:

Doh!

That has to be frustrating at this stage of the build 😕

A little but I suppose it's the gamble with used bits. A new Lucas one will be waiting at eurocarparts in the morning. 

AndrewOBW

I may be wrong on this, but that era of Jag, certainly the V8, did that when the fuel pump was playing up. I'm not sure what the mechanism of it was, but if the fuel pump failed the sound was essentially as if the engine was turning over with no compression which led to a few misdiagnosed as failed timing belts/chains when all they needed was a replacement pump.  This happened with my friend's XK. I'll see if I can get a bit more info from him. 

Not sure whether it's an ECU based trigger that decides it or how it works though.  If the new starter motor doesn't sort it it might be worth looking into a bit more.  Obviously you won't be using the Jag pump but there might be a signal somewhere that needs to be simulated.

Steve (sdh2903)

Thanks andrew I'm not really using anything jaguar other than engine and starter. It's a new chassis loom and emerald ECU and engine loom. The engine was cranking over happily on the starter last week with the fuel pump fuse pulled and the ECU was seeing the crank sensor signal ok. I'm 99% it's a starter issue.

• Like 1

Steve (sdh2903)

New starter is in and working fine.

So round 2. I'll confess this is 2nd start. But it runs. Lumpy and rich but it starts!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1