stephenh

Disaster, Maybe.

stephenh

Well I've tried to look at the starter pinion with the vid-scope, but it isn't easy to get the lens end to get close to, or point directly at, the pinion. However from what I could see, the pistons crowns are ok. 

The back of the starter shaft projects right through the bellhousing, and out the back, so the return spring on the end of the starter shaft is visible. I'm no expert on the old inertia type starters, but it looked wrong to me, in that I'm fairly sure the spring is compressed completely so it looks coil bound or nearly so. I think that is stuck in the engaged position, so I plan to push the car off the trailer, so I can get the starter off, and get a better look at it, and more to the point see if removing the starter releases the engine. John Sewell who owns my local garage reckons that the starter is most likely the culprit, I gather that they are quite notorious for giving trouble, and it wasn't new when the engine was built, just reconditioned I think. If it is faulty, I hope to find a new one which will fit.

Fingers crossed!

• Like 1

jonjh1964

Stephen,

Sounds promising.

I’ve fitted a WOSP hi-torque starter supplied by Demon Tweeks (~£150). It’s a tight fit and I had to grind away some of the GRP from the footwell panel.

Good luck today, hopefully sunshine for the rest of the week.

Jon

Kit Car Electronics

My mini used to jam its starter like this, sometimes. Often rocking the car in 4th would free it.

• Like 1

Man On The Clapham Omnibus
2 hours ago, Kit Car Electronics said:

My mini used to jam its starter like this, sometimes. Often rocking the car in 4th would free it.

There was a chap who lived opposite my parents' house and his car jammed its starter one evening while I was visiting home. I said to him that he should put it in gear, release the handbrake and rock it. To my amazement he got hold of the gutter and pushed and pulled - rocking it sideways! Eventually he twigged and succeeded in freeing it.

• Haha 4

stephenh

Well I've got the starter motor off, not without having to resort to some brute force with my "gentle persuader", as having removed both mounting bolts and locking nuts it was still jammed in tight.

Guess what, the engine turns over now!:t-up::t-up:

Now what to do with the starter motor? Put it back, or find a replacement? One guess might be right! Quite apart from the dent in one of the places where my persuader was driving a steel drift to loosen the motor.

Jon, thanks for your heads up on the WASP starter range, but not far from where I live is a big autoelectrical wholesale firm. Mainly trade, but they are happy to supply members of the public. (H Bowers in Stoke on Trent (Fenton really) is the firm.) My garage owner friend says they will almost certainly be able to supply a good replacement. And a new competition type replacement is likely to have the solenoid mounted on the starter body, which might be a tight fit, and all my wiring is trimmed and installed to go to the remote solenoid supplied as part of the Westfield kit, which I mounted on the bulkhead as shown in the build manual.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

John

Just go with a modern but not Chinese replacement

• Like 1

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

That’s great news Stephen!

stephenh

John I'm in agreement with what you say.

I also meant to add, what a star Mrs H. has been, not least this morning. The car was on my trailer, but I couldn't get to the underside of the car without getting it off the trailer, and preferably into the garage. That in turn meant pushing the car up the sloping drive. Well Mrs H just pushed and pushed, no chance of me doing it without her help. Just wanted to say that, really. Otherwise, ti would have been tomorrow evening before I could have started, whereas now I should have the car back on the road before then.

• Like 5

Man On The Clapham Omnibus

Excellent! :yes:

Rory's Dad

Great news Stephen - soon be sorted! 

Howsafe Workwear and Safety Equipment

Terryathome

Fly wheel ring ok?

jonjh1964
1 hour ago, stephenh said:

And a new competition type replacement is likely to have the solenoid mounted on the starter body, which might be a tight fit, and all my wiring is trimmed and installed to go to the remote solenoid supplied as part of the Westfield kit, which I mounted on the bulkhead as shown in the build manual.

Stephen,

Great news, should be back on the road in no time...

My starter was supplied with an adapter cable to by-pass the built in solenoid and allow it to be fitted with the original wiring/solenoid. I’d already run the battery cable and fitted the remote solenoid so have the by-pass fitted.  It was a tight fit though and I don’t have a distributor to get around either!

Jon

jeff oakley

Without trying to spoil your good news you really need to find out why it jammed. You need to look at the ring gear and see if there are any burrs at all on it. 

Was the pinion wedged when you got it out? Any damage can be filed if it is not too bad.

I am sure that if you get a good quality one which has not be reconditioned using cheap parts and you will be fine but you need to make sure.

Best quality parts out there at the moment is Remy which are 100% new moving parts on their recon rotating units. Even some "branded" household names are made in far flung countries to a price.

graham frankland

Stephen

If it helps Rimmer Bros in Lincoln are now the leading stockists of BMC/Leyland/Rover parts in the UK!

Glad it is not more serious!

Best wishes

G