stephenh

Disaster, Maybe.

Really pleased for you and it must be a huge relief that it's not the engine. As above though, check the ring gear for potential damage which may cause a repeat failure down the line.

Had a feeling it would be the starter though.

Mart.

Fantastic news, well done Mart you had the right idea. It's good to hear members being so helpful, it's been amazing my first year here and it feels like home. :sun:

• Like 1

Just logged on to check this thread and very pleased to hear not as serious as you feared.

David

Hi, Stephen,

I haven't had the computer on since Monday afternoon so missed the great news.  Your relief is palpable through the posts.  My starter is the one that came with the original Midget - so is lacking in Chinese influence.  It copes happily with starting my similar engine.

See you and the Eleven at Stoneleigh?

Simon

PS - Mrs Marks is a far less willing volunteer than Mrs H sounds.  On the odd occasion when help is provided, you've only got to say "It's all done, thank you" and you need to hold onto any loose clothing in case it gets caught in the slipstream as she heads for the garage door - with acceleration on a par with the Westfield.  You're very lucky there!

• Haha 1

Thanks Simon. Yes I expect to be at Stoneleigh, but not all weekend. Not sure yet which day, but hopefully it will be the Sunday as that seems to be the most popular with the majority of the WSCC crowd.

I suspect that my new starter may originate from distant shores, as it is an "own branded" one from H Bowers of Stoke on Trent. However the price was right to the extent that if one day i need to replace it again it wont cause much tears. It does have the advantage that it is new, rather than a recon. It certainly has much less end float than the recon. one which I've taken off, just as an example. And Bowers are a very reputable firm, of long standing, used by most of the garages around North Staffs, and further afield, as a source of after market replacement autoelectrical components, so I feel confident that their own quality control would ensure that they aren't being supplied with rubbish. Also, because I was able to point out that it was "shop-soiled" I got it at less than trade price, and got them to test it in their workshop before I accepted it. They are fully equipped in their workshop to do their own reconditioned units, so can test things like starters, alternators, etc. in moments on their test rigs.

I know I'm lucky with all the support I get in matter Westfield from Mrs H., as anyone who competed in the Speed Series when I was competing will know. In fact, at one time she wanted her own Westie, but I managed to talk her out of that in favour of something slightly more practical, so for some years she has driven around in a rather nice MX5! I call her a Sporty Old Lady, but don't tell her I said that on here, or I'm in serious trouble!

• Like 2

Just to add that Mrs H says that if you see us stationary at the side of the road on Friday, please stop and see if we need help with recovery!:laugh::laugh:

Good news, enjoy your run around the countryside. Sunshine makes every thing feel alive.

• Like 1