Kit Car Electronics

HiSpec mechanical handbrake adjustment

I said to @IanK (Bagpuss) about those calipers for his colour co-ordination :d. May have a look at the pads later in the week, although mine seem to work well enough, I am sure IVA took a bit of material off the pads , as they are only designed for clamping and not for a disc rolling through them.

I also spoke with the Hi Spec guys, they weren’t aware that the set up information wasn’t being passed on, so they did promise to update their own web site with a guide. (Though I’m not sure how long that may take, Hi Spec, being Hi Spec ;) )

7 minutes ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

I also spoke with the Hi Spec guys, they weren’t aware that the set up information wasn’t being passed on, so they did promise to update their own web site with a guide.

Yes they said they'd had a number of people ask about it. :d

Apparently they are going to create a pdf with instructions and then send that onto the Wscc.

• Thanks 1

Following on from this thread, with Mini TJ engrossed in his birthday things, I snook out into the garage and wanted to check the rear brakes. When sitting in traffic yesterday and letting the handbrake off, I found it was juddering on the NSR. I also wanted to check the pad to disc clearance on the handbrake spot pads. Well, I didnt adjust anything on the pads. Probably a good 15 ish thou clearance to the disc. I could have wound them in a bit, but my handbrake works and is on about 5 ratchets to top of the movement.

The issue of the judder, I made sure I used a heavy oil on all the handbrake pivots and there is a few !! I used some winter heavy chain lube off my bikes and is really tenacious ( love that word !) so, it will hope to keep the  pivots unstuck. Seems to run better and smoother. Whether thats in my head I dont know !! So, my advice is to make sure the pivots are oiled and free to move. 

• Like 1

Just to add to my earlier comments and clarify, the reason that the adjusting screw must not be adjusted and should be set as per my earlier photo is because of the following.

The pads are fixed to the pivot arm, this pivot start position is determined by the adjustment screw in my photo. The pad starts slightly at a leaning back angle when set correctly, and then pivots forward to make contact with the disc but as doing so moves in an arc. The pad should then arrive at the disc face flat in the middle of its arc. This is why the adjustment screw should be as the photo. Any more or less and the pad will contact at a slight angle and this will greatly reduce its efficiency.

Hope that helps anyone wondering why it is important.

Thanks for the update, chaps. I just love the effort these companies put into the engineering, to then not bother with even the simplest written instructions!

• Like 1