Ashbourne, Peak District, Sun 15th April LEAVING AT 11.30

Julie Hall - WSCC AO Representative

I predict @Julie Hall - AO Representative, Peak District AO is going to shoot me when she next sees me for hijacking two of her event threads, that I'm not attending :cry:

In my defense, I'm keeping the thread at the top of the list to attract others!

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, IanK (Bagpuss) said:

I predict @Julie Hall - AO Representative, Peak District AO is going to shoot me when she next sees me for hijacking two of her event threads, that I'm not attending :cry:

In my defense, I'm keeping the thread at the top of the list to attract others!

You will be taken Pate outlets and/or force fed multiple cakes as punishment

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Trevturtle said:

You will be taken Pate outlets and/or force fed multiple cakes as punishment

That’s not the sort of runs you want!

• Haha 1

:d:d:d well it makes hilarious reading, so Mr Bagpuss you may keep hijacking my threads. 

Back on topic, if I am allowed for a moment :d, Hammy and the Mrs are coming on Sunday too, so that's a table for 9 and it's only Thursday today :t-up:

That's all, back to running, you are running and not driving this distance? I am reading this right aren't I?

up two three cake, up two three cake, up two three cake

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary @AndrewBClarke @Martyn Vann - Joint Warwickshire AO

PLEASE BE READY TO LEAVE AT 11.30 AM BECAUSE THE PUB CAN ONLY FIT US IN AT 12.30

ANYONE ELSE CAN STILL JOIN US BUT I CANNOT GUARANTEE A SEAT INSIDE THE PUB FOR FOOD

• Like 1

Okey dokey.

The table is booked at a pub in Buxton, we are to be rained on then? :getmecoat:

19 minutes ago, Martyn Vann - Joint Warwickshire AO said:

The table is booked at a pub in Buxton, we are to be rained on then? :getmecoat:

Positive thinking!  I hope not. Long way home and left the roof in the garage! Couldn’t fit everything in the ‘boot’ so took the risk!  

I hope the runners completed their 10K/half marathons in good time today and the 'couch to 5K' plan worked. We are all doing the 'Westfield to Cake' plan and it's coming along nicely, we did it in a hour and a half :d.

First stop was Ashbourne Leisure Centre to drop a pint of blood in

DSC03673.JPG

Blood stocks are low at the moment, if you fancy doing something amazing one day, the most amazing thing that I did today was to get my Westfield T-shirt on for the first time this year!

DSC03675.JPG

It was a quick meet up in Ashbourne and off we went along an old route of mine, on some of my most favourite roads, twisty, hilly and scenic too. Freshly loaded with cow poo of course, summer is coming you know. We got to the pub in good time, thank you to everyone for being prompt. Andrew and Michael, Martyn and Sue, Dave Eastwood and Paul and Pat making a 5 car convoy, just a nice number. Richard and Liz (Bioman) were waiting for us when we got there, their bike helmets on the window sill are a bit old don't you think?

DSC03682.JPG

Without delay the iron levels got topped back up with a hearty beef dinner

DSC03683.JPG

We were in Buxton and that does mean, as Martyn said earlier, that it will be raining. I didn't bother with the roof, it was only spitty stuff and the roads were quiet so we were always moving.

DSC03684.JPG

Richard has his flashy wheels on and a snazzy intercom system, what you can't see is under the bonnet the CVH has been replaced with a Zetec, good choice there Rich.

DSC03692.JPG

We continued our journey on more of my favourite roads, undulating our way to Warslow, slowing for the views of the Dragons Back and on to the Cottage Kitchen Cafe near Bottomhouse for cake. It was full, every table taken, no room at the Inn, so it was a good job that Michael came and saved the day. 'Get a take-out cake and come to my house for a brew' he said, how generous is that? So we bought the cakes...

DSC03694.JPG

...and followed Andrew for 2 miles to Michael's very flashy pad. I had to laugh when the only way to get out of the car, to open the gates, was to put the cakes on the roof.

DSC03695.JPG

Apart from needing a Sat Nav just to navigate your way around the house, Michael also has a convenient Westfield Parking Area.

DSC03698.JPG

DSC03700.JPG

With a roaring log fire and a friendly welcome from Clare and Marie, we didn't want to leave, but Jasper the guard dog was getting exhausted from all the cuddles. We risked it on the way home and left the roof off, getting home dry but we were amazed as we got within a mile of home, the roads were suddenly very wet and a neighbour informed us that we had just missed a half hour downpour, lucky eh. I hope everyone else had a good journey home, thank you for coming and see you all soon.

• Like 3

You did well then to miss the rain. It was constant light rain from just before Leek to the outskirts of a Congleton for me, where it turned into a biblically hard downpour, stopped at a junction to turn right, and the rain on the roof drowned out the engine! (How very dare it!)

Another great day though, and some new favourite bits of road, well, as long as you ignore  the couple of small stretches that feel like downtown Basra, the pot holes were so bad.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Great to meet up with you all, seems months since we did, Oh! it has been. Pleasant trip back, wipers not needed once. Thanks for all the kind words about the "Bank" Julie but you didn't mention the diffuser. Looking forward to the Oil Can meet later in the year where I'm sure Glen will give me some more of his inspirational advice. Take care all:sun: 

• Like 1

You lot are lucky! We got absolutely drenched. Left 10 minutes after you and spent nearly 3 hours driving in the rain! Pot hole avoidance is much trickier when everything is disguised by water so had to be even more careful. Arrived home at 8pm just before dark so that bit went according to plan.

Just a quickie - when Michael & Marie say 'please do call in as you know where we are now' - they mean it. More visitors the merrier as it perks Michael up and takes his mind off things. 

Thanks for a lovely day again - next time please remember to book the weather!

• Like 2