Alternator Question

Oliver1

I took my first drive in the the newly acquired Westfield on Friday after work. A simple 1 mile each way. 5 hours and 2 breakowns later I returned home. The RAC man said that the alternator was not charging the battery.

I took the alternator off this afternoon assisted by my friend the fox. I took it off in case it is broken but also the mounting bracket was fractured.

The only connection to the alternator was to the positive terminal (marked in photo) is this correct?38457E58-170F-49D2-ABCC-423F1E5DB44A.thumb.jpeg.944ae9948b82c4a9354ca8d136730d5c.jpeg83FABC4C-D138-4D9A-ADA3-AA3F64FF0DC9.thumb.jpeg.114d34a5cf44d45ae1335d90cacf0c4b.jpegd

Well things can only get better, I guess!

That looks like a one-wire self-exciting alternator: https://www.windbluepower.com/Delco_10SI_One_Wire_Alternator_p/7127-sen.htm

However, there is also a second wire - the small post (-) for grounding the alternator. If that wasn't fitted, the alternator will be grounding through the mounting bracket which might have corroded and stopped it from self-exciting. I'd clean the mounting faces and probably add a small earthing strap directly to the engine block from the (-) post to see if it actually works (i.e. 13.5V or more at the battery when the engine is running)

Edit: just saw the bracket is broken, so I guess that might be your earth path gone...

Edited by Kit Car Electronics
  • Like 1

It does appear to have a D+ terminal, however. That would normally be connected to ignition switched 12V via the warning light. Without this, many alternators won't self-excite.

No experience with this particular beast, but might be worth connecting up a bulb to that terminal just to see if it springs into life.

• Like 1

Thanks Kevin, I will explore that. It just seemed strange with only one connection.

First bit of mechanics today for 25 years!

That's quite a trusting fox

23 minutes ago, CraigHew said:

That's quite a trusting fox

He spent a couple of hours with me in and out of the garage. Very tame, kept standing by me when I was working on the car. 

Been here myself. My issue was no ground at the alternator. However, I've not got the same kit as you...

Good luck, hope you get it sorted.