Stelvio

jonjh1964

Hi, Jon,

That takes me back to the 11th September 2001 - 9/11.  When the attacks were made on the twin towers in New York all those years ago, I was out marshalling on the MSA Euroclassic Run and, after pounding my Vauxhall Vectra 2.2 up the Stelvio, I was told about the world changing news as I pulled in for a coffee at the stop of the pass.

Simon

• Like 1

Nice run on an interesting road. Not sure I'd want to be cycling down that, or up it, come to that!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Blatman said:

Got a version where we can hear the car(s) rather than Undertones?

Music is to cover up a rattle that the GoPro seems to pick up - I've bought a remote microphone for this year to see if that improves it; I seem to hear more of the engine if wearing headphones although at over 2,000 metres there's a lot of huffing and puffing.

Just love those mountain roads, :):)

Only thing is that is the Bormio pass not the Stelvio,   Turn right at the top and it takes you to the stelvio

This is the Stelvio. The full pass from the valley to the top. 13 min Video so skip to halfway for the main twisties.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, kenton said:

Just love those mountain roads, :):)

Only thing is that is the Bormio pass not the Stelvio,   Turn right at the top and it takes you to the stelvio

image.thumb.png.79672aea8fb5458f92cd07c46a946894.png

Google earth says it's the Passo Dello Stelvio, just the other side of the mountain.

1 hour ago, Geoffrey (Buttercup) - North Yorkshire AO said:

Love the camera view @kenton.

Where have you mounted your camera and what with.

Thanks Geoffrey

I drilled a hole in the number plate and bolted the Go pro mount to it.

7 minutes ago, jonjh1964 said:

image.thumb.png.79672aea8fb5458f92cd07c46a946894.png

Google earth says it's the Passo Dello Stelvio, just the other side of the mountain.

My apologies, your right. :getmecoat:

I've been up/ down it numerous times and have been calling it the wrong name. I wrongly  called the road on the other side of the peak where the Stelvio web cam is as the Stelvio.  Just goes to show that every day is a school day. :)

It is an AWESOME road though, even the narrow blind tunnels where the water drips from the roof.

When I'm there in July I'll think of this post as I blat up it

Kenton

1 minute ago, kenton said:

My apologies, your right. :getmecoat:

I've been up/ down it numerous times and have been calling it the wrong name. I wrongly  called the road on the other side of the peak where the Stelvio web cam is as the Stelvio.  Just goes to show that every day is a school day. :)

It is an AWESOME road though, even the narrow blind tunnels where the water drips from the roof.

When I'm there in July I'll think of this post as I blat up it

Kenton

Good luck for July - I 'need' to go back and do the whole pass, the other side looks awesome, maybe next year. I'll be at the Le Mans Classic and will be mounting a camera low on the nose for the parade laps, your video really replicates the sensation when driving.

• Like 1

Both parts are fantastic and spectacular / something to cross off the bucket list, although there are much better driving roads with less traffic in the region 

the umbrail pass running up to the to the stelvio was beautiful and quiet with fast but tight flowing roads 

• Like 1

The Umbrail pass when I did it wasnt tarmac all the way up which was hugely entertaining on the hairpins  - maybe it is now , the Gavia just the south of Bormio is good as well although with Italian standards of road safety barriers ( None) :oops:

• Like 1