New member looking for his first Westfield

Alfascozzesi

To be fair, mines not actually running yet! I did weld in some baffles though and the modified capacity is only slightly less than the original, so fingers crossed... 

I know that others have this kind of modification to their standard sump and have no issues, but that is on the normal 2.0 litre zetec and not the ST170 unit. I know they are both zetec, but maybe the St unit requires more exacting sump standards? Would be worth dropping the sump off to see if it has been baffled. 

1 minute ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

not necessarily - if it's done correctly the chopped off portion is effectively replaced by the section welded to the back, so the capacity remains the same. Baffling is a possible issue though.

Beat me to it Chris... 

I have said a reduction in oil capacity but it doesnt look like the dip stick has been cut down but the original dip stick doesnt nessecarily go to the bottom of the sump indeed I doubt it would.

All just ideas. I think I may have to just buy a baffled sump for my own piece of mind.

13 minutes ago, Alfascozzesi said:

think I may have to just buy a baffled sump for my own piece of mind

Which is often crucial to enjoying the car!

4 hours ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

Which is often crucial to enjoying the car!

Absolutely, you’ve got to do what you feel comfortable with and what you can live with. The last thing you want is your driving experience being spoiled by niggling little worrie at the back of your mind.

Unfortunately, sometimes these things just happen, you have a car used one way all it’s life; it might be just short local boats all the time, or it might live on trackdays when it’s out. Then someone else comes along, drives it a few hundred or more miles home, and suddenly start using it more, and “differently” (if you see what I mean), and right away out of the blue some little, or not so little fault appears.

The good thing is, once sorted, and the car spanner checked etc you’re usually then good to go for plenty more miles.

The other, really brilliant thing, with Westfields, is that unless you start building them with really exotic engines, drive trains, suspension components etc. They’re actually pretty reasonable, cost wise, to fix virtually anything on them. Especially if you compare them to even relatively unexotic two seat sports cars like BMW’s etc.

1 hour ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

They’re actually pretty reasonable, cost wise, to fix virtually anything on them. Especially if you compare them to even relatively exotic two seat sports cars like BMW’s etc.

Yes I agree. My Z4M was £1200 every service and I have got a "new" engine, cam belt kit, oil etc for less than £500.

A few crates of beer and some steak for the BBQ

for my pals help as well. Hopefully an enjoyable Saturday but I would have prefered to be out driving.

Have you got any pictures of your made baffled sump?  Would be good to see.

Will let you all know how I get on and thanks for all the replies.

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Hope you're back on the road soon, then you can join in on some runs with us up in the north. Sounds like you'll have it sorted sooner rather than later.

David

Sorry to hear of your woes, good luck with the spannering and hope your back on the road  asap 

Sorry we did not get to meet up....apart from a passing shout.

All your engine troubles will soon be forgotten about and you will be out enjoying your car.

Yeah sorry we didnt meet up but I am sure we shall at some point.

I am sure I will meet you Gary sooner rather than later at some Scottish run.

Loved seeing all your pics. You really had a great trip. Loved seeing Craigvar in the Strath. My mum and dad tried to buy that when I was about 10 (a long time ago). Loved the servants staircase from the kitchen to upstairs at the time!

Hopefully Saturday will see everything swapped over and I can get a run out on Sunday. Frustrating getting a new toy you cant use. :(

• Like 2

That guest house did look amazing, though I’m still trying to wrap my head around the idea of one only having two guest bedrooms!

From my memory it had theee floors and nine bedrooms. My mum still talks about it.

Here is a link.

https://www.craigvar.com

The house and gardens are absolutely beautiful and immaculate.

I have stayed there a few times and the quality of the food, furniture....everything is to the highest level.

So engine out and the all the "special" parts taken off and put onto the new donor engine. Original flywheel and clutch used as they were in better order.

It was a home made sump with some baffles but not oriented the correct way to my way of thinking. I am going to use it and replace in a month or so when back from holiday.

I have never seen so much metal in an oil!

Took a bit longer than I thought as I didnt realise that the crankcase had been chopped to accomodate the starter motor.

Anyway had enough with the engine ready to go back in but should be ready after work tomorrow, fingers crossed.

IMG_2366.jpeg

IMG_2362.jpeg

• Sad 1

That is a very big cutout in the baffle! I know it is for the oil pick up, but crikey! Mine is a lot smaller than that and it still fits fine whilst leaving most of the baffle in place. Could be some of the issue. Although your oil pick up may be larger on the ST unit than a standard zetec.