New member looking for his first Westfield

Alfascozzesi

My story has taken a downward spiral!

Day 3 of ownership and the oil pressure dipped and I have spun a bearing. Full strip down or new engine.

Going with the new engine and I will refurb the broken one at my leisure.

I will post another thread so people can see the title but I am worried about the shortened sump fitted to the current engine. Its almost a flat plate!

Is there anyone else on here with an ST170 engined Westfield?

I would love to see a picture of your sump if so.

I cant afford to stump up a £1500 for a raceline sump at the momment so a made alternative is what I want to do.  :(

£1500 for a Raceline Sump!!

I thought they were around the four or five hundred mark! Not cheap by any stretch of the imagination, although they do seem to be regarded as the best.

Sorry, was busy picking my jaw off the floor. Bad luck by the way, so sorry to hear of your problems.

Well the idea was to enjoy the "hobby" side of the car but certainly didnt expect to be swapping the engine in the first week!! 

1 hour ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

£1500 for a Raceline Sump!!

I thought they were around the four or five hundred mark! Not cheap by any stretch of the imagination, although they do seem to be regarded as the best.

Might be just the link I saw but if anyone has a good link then let me know. Thanks

Don't know about raceline but Tiger sportscars make a nice looking ERA branded aluminium sump for about 300 and something quid. Haven't used one myself but they look half decent and nicely finished. 

Raceline sumps are £540 plus delivery, expensive but in the grand scheme of things and considering what has just happened are worth it.

Got a picture of the sump you have as it might not be the root cause?

Sorry to hear of your “introduction” - but keep at it and we’ll be there to help!

Also on the slight upside, if it’s not modified, engines are the least expensive bit even if they are a pain to replace. 

Thanks for the replies. Got a new engine which I pick up on Friday for £330 which has done 70k.

Will get a picture of the current sump in a minute but after further looking looks like the same as the dunnel zetec sump. Dont know about the innards though.

I guess I should buy the raceline sump but am pretty poor after purchasing the car but as John has said no point in doingthe same thing again of that was the problem.

I will go and get a photo.

To me, that looks very much like the standard two piece zetec sump that has been chopped and welded with an extra section welded back in to keep some of the original oil capacity. Mine is the same.

Try a magnet on it to see if it’s steel. If it is, then it’s a std sump cut and welded.

However, any reason to think the sump caused oil starvation?

No real reason. Its not leaking or anything. Just thought if it was the std one chopped then its quite a reduction in oil capacity and it wouldnt be baffled (or baffled the wrong way). May well be something else.

I will get a magnet on it but I do think it it is std. Nice to hear someone else has the same with no problems.

Maybe find out more when it comes out at the weekend.

12 minutes ago, Alfascozzesi said:

quite a reduction in oil capacity

not necessarily - if it's done correctly the chopped off portion is effectively replaced by the section welded to the back, so the capacity remains the same. Baffling is a possible issue though.