David G

Hi all Dave here from Chester just looking at getting my first Westie and possibly completing a purchase this weekend all going well (advice on the below/attached link would be great)

I’ve had a few quick cars/toys and bikes but now looking at some two seat fun for the good old north wales/snowdonia play area 

The below link is for an eBay car which I’m seeing Saturday so any advice/help would be greatly appreciated

Mant thanks

Westfield SE Vulcan Engineering built 2.1 Pinto Twin 40's LSD kit car, Caterham https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F253441798762

• Like 1

Welcome aboard. 

My advice would be to take someone with you who knows about Westfields or at least kit cars. 

We know what makes a good build and what to look out for. 

Its difficult but try and buy with your head mot your heart! 

You also need to think about what you want to use if for as that will affect how much money you will then pour into any given car to make it what you actually want. 

Best idea is not to jump in, but take time, talk to local members and see as many cars as possible. 

• Thanks 1

:ww:from Essex.

Echo what Chris says. As a spontaneous buyer myself, it's amazing how much you start to see, once you own it and the rose tinted spectacles are off (not that I have ever regretted buying my little beauty!)

• Thanks 1

Its a tidy looking car with money spent in expensive places, so I would expect the basics will be OK, but it is wise to have a Westie owner to look at it with you. If it was local in Berkshire I would have had a look with you, but I am not heading to Preston :d

Check for electrical condition, chassis all being straight at the front ( ask to take the nose cone off) Interiors can be pricey , so condition those. Dashboard and electrics can be awkward . Usual checks on driving it ( or passenger) how it starts and pulls. Oil pressure  and temperature. Check the alternator isnt looking cooked as they do on Pintos.rack bots and balljoints perish. Other than that , check the body for cracks, although for £6k if everything seems good, is a good price.

• Thanks 1

Looks a very tidy car, as Thrusty said make sure your have the nose cone off, check  the x support at the front top as they are prone to cracking and also the state of the frame underneath at the front for corrosion. Check the side panel as it could have had swept wings and the holes have to be filled in the correct manor.

enjoy!

• Thanks 1

Welcome. It looks very nice for the price. The fact the first owner had it for 18 years is good news. Its clearly been garaged and looked after. 40k is a lot of miles for a westie but not for the engine. Check the condition of the wishbone underneath for corrosion and general chassis tubes. If it's been looked after the powder coating will, have been touched in after 40k of road abrasion. If they are rusty, think carefully. An oil mist from the typical pinto engine might do you a favour to keep the underneath corrosion free.

Wiring in the engine bay and under the dash if you can see it is a good indication of a solid build with no gremlins to spoil your ownership.

Some nice parts in it. Seems a bit odd to fit new dampers 1k ago and then notice the suspension bushes need replacing but not do it?

Maybe I am expecting too much. Good luck

Hope to see you at a Cheshire meet.

• Like 1

You,like myself are perfectly positioned for runs out into Wales,I'm in Oswestry :)

All the advice above is bang on,especially checking the chassis/wishbones etc as that is high miles for a Westfield so it's probably seen some salt/winter usage. 

Get your self one of the small extendable inspection mirrors with the LED's on them,great for inspecting hard to see areas ;)

• Thanks 1

The only point against the car in the Ebay ad is that it's a narrow.

Best to view before you bid, at least you can see if you fit into it ok.

• Like 1

I don’t think that being narrow is a point against it. I think it’s just up to your preference and whether it suits the size of your butt.

• Like 1

As above,how big are you? (Tall and wide :) )

Never sat in a narrow,as a wide is narrow enough for me with a 34inch waist and circa 15 stone:ph34r:

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Oliver1 said:

I don’t think that being narrow is a point against it. I think it’s just up to your preference and whether it suits the size of your butt.

Being a narrow limits the market a little, and can be an issue with some bodywork availability.

But then the narrows do offer weight benefits over the bigger wide cars, so it’s swings and roundabouts.

• Like 1

It’s shorter, too.

• Like 2