Can I build a bec westie

Raydaffurn

Hi guys first post on here.

Been wanting to build a 7 for a while now and been on researching like mad on what’s the best spec kit and easiest to build and I’m thinking it’s probably a westie.

I did purchase an mk Indy blade about 10 years ago and to be honest never got as much use out it as I’d like to.  Been racing karts for last few years and really fancy doing a build, want the satisfaction of having built it myself.

im not a mechanic but as I’ve said I’ve raced karts and can work on them no problem but a karts got nothing on it compared to a car.  I’ve done the odd oil change here and there, changed brake pads, general car maintenance etc.

fancy going down the bec route as just love the sound, sequential shift and screaming engine.  Would like to do a busa.  Would mainly be for odd Sunday blasts and few track days.

is a busa westie easy enough to build for a non mechanic and is the manual good enough? What trouble am I likely to run into with the build? And any other comments appreciated.  Thinking of going to the kit car show to talk to a few owners and see the Westfield stand.

lastly what sort of costs am I looking at for the build?

im in Glasgow btw.

cheers

Edited by Raydaffurn

There's been a few builds recently , where the nearest someone has used a spanner , they had to buy some, so yes, its possible. Best way is to start  thread here and everyone will muck in and help you when you get stuck. Manual has many limits , which is best to ask here first.

Oh and welcome :ww:

Hi thrustyjust,

Thanks for the welcome, sorry not sure I understand your comment on the spanner?

So you think a non mechanic can build a busa westy easy enough looking for a bit more info before taking the plunge and buying a kit, don’t want to buy one and be way out my depth.

also any idea on build costs tried googling but only info I find is years old 

Building a Westy isn’t massively difficult. I think that’s what @Thrustyjust was trying to say. As long as you are methodical and reasonably sensible. Although sensible isn’t essential :d

Cost of a new build Busa will depend a bit on how much you can get a decent engine for I guess as well as how “canny” you are at buying the bits to build it. But certainly well into 5 figures. A new build will often cost more than a used car that you can tweak to suit, but as a builder I’d highly recommend it as then you truly know your own car and can one day proudly gaze upon it with that smug self satisfied grin, point and say the immortal words “I built that - it’s MY car”. 

Go for it!

• Like 2

Sorry if I didnt explain too well. Westfields are a great car to build and is obviously easier with someone who knows a spanner from a screwdriver. But we have had builders who havent even owned a socket set come on here to build a car and as a community , we have helped and are helping them through the sense of total achievement to do this. 

It may seem daunting and to be honest, I was when I built mine 18 months ago, but I have been around these cars for over 20 years , so understand them . As a starter , they are probably easier than some more basic 7 style cars , as you can buy as much or little as possible and you wont have to resource them as making things fit in the same way. They are better developed for a beginner , in a way. Also, there maybe local owners who will always want to muck in. 

As for cost. Thats always the awkward one. Cost of engine/ box, snazzy wheels , options do soon add up. I think I had consumables at about a grand , with paints , specific tools, hire vans etc , so those arent shown on the wsc website. They only show a POA for the megabusa cars on there, so you will have to chat to Simon Westwood about other engines , as they will use different cradles to hold them 

Exactly my thoughts that’s why I want to do the build so I can say I built this myself and go out and enjoy it.

would a £15k ish budget cover it? And is it much more involved in doing a bec vs Cec? 

Also regarding the plate how does it work new reg vs an age related, as it’s a used engine would it be age related to that?

defo going to go to the kit car show and talk to the Westfield stand and hopefully some other owners

Edited by Raydaffurn

£15k might do it. But I remember my build and it was “if I spend another £200 I can get x” - those £200’s soon add up to grand!

But be strict and you can do it. 

New reg requires all new parts plus one “refurbished to as new” major component. So used engine is ok just make sure you “refurbish” it. You need two or more major components for age related, so not happening on a bike engine build really. 

Bike cars I dont know what the costs are , I am unsure on a bike how the age related goes, as you will probably use the engine, dash, loom and thats it. Its not something to get too worried about for now. Do come to Stoneleigh and there should be some bike engined cars there. 

I would say you have a similar construction time between bikes and cars, just you dont need a hoist for a bike engine :d and I get a reverse gear on a CEC , so that saves getting out and pushing.

I budgeted £25k , according to the wife for my build and I said £22k. I was closest at £23k, but I havent added the upgrades since :oops:

Oh and when pricing the engine, add on a dry sump kit (at maybe £2k) as well as a custom exhaust manifold (i think factory still do them), power commander (if using std ECU), reverse box (for IVA) - will think of more...

Not trying to put you off, just consider the bits behind the scenes and you’ll not get too shocked when adding up the cost. 

• Like 1

Great so new plate on bec can be achieved.

£15kish give or take a few I’m happy with.

sure I read for Iva you need a reverse though must be a newish duke as the mk I had didn’t.

4 minutes ago, Raydaffurn said:

would a £15k ish budget cover it? 

I built a mnr vortex with a r1 5vy engine .i bought my kit from someone that never started the build that kit cost him north of ten grand and still required a lot of parts .not seats wheels lights propshaft power commander digidash switches etc. I gave him 7 grand for it and by the time I'd iva'd it it stood me at 13 grand .r1 engines used to cost 1grand busa's cost 3 grand and need dry sump and oil cooler, r1just needed baffled sump and a cam breather mod. so going of that if you wanted a new registration it would need to be built from new parts with one reconditioned part the engine you'd be struggling for 15k 

Tony

• Like 1

Yes for IVA you must have reverse. 

New plate can be achieved. 

£15k will be tight in my opinion, but doable if you’re a canny Scot!

5 minutes ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

Oh and when pricing the engine, add on a dry sump kit (at maybe £2k) as well as a custom exhaust manifold (i think factory still do them), power commander (if using std ECU), reverse box (for IVA) - will think of more...

Not trying to put you off, just consider the bits behind the scenes and you’ll not get too shocked when adding up the cost. 

I’ll defo get to the show and start the ball rolling and get a list of what I’d like and take it from there I think.

cheers for the info guys

Another cheaper option than the Busa is a CBR1000RR blade car 2010 or later and does not need dry sump just a baffled sump from AB Performance