BugMan

Ok, so moving forward with my body shell, and have the rear tub slotted into place, as I figured it was a good idea to get an idea of how things fit together etc.

Found I had to bend the standard rear spare wheel carrier brackets out of the way with a big screwdriver and a hammer, may take advice I have had to cut them off later,as this is just a dry fit.

Thanks 

IMG_2538.JPG

I then pulled out the RH side as I want to get the position of the scuttle sorted out, and this seemed the easiest way as from what I can see the rear tub is the datum on the back panel on the rear of the seating compartment.

RH side seems an easy fit, apart from it's fouling on the seat-belt (I assume that's what they are for) bolt studs on the back of the chassis.

IMG_2533.JPG

There is a bit of a cut-out pre-formed on the panel which looks like its a bit short, and just needs lengthening?

Can anybody tell me if I've got this right, before I commit to making red dust?

@BugMan I've found the side panel datum dimensions I knew I had somewhere!

From front face of chassis, to front edge of front locating block (which locates bonnet):-

o/s - 953mm    n/s - 923

As with any WF dimension, it's a guide not an absolute, but provides a starter for ten for side panel positioning.

Might help with initial side panel positioning, for cutouts for bosses, but be prepared to have to shuffle them fore and aft, for final  positioning.

@BugMan I can’t help much with the process as I didn’t build my car, but I have an FW sport and I’m not that far from you. If a looksee and measurements would help, then you are most welcome to come and have a look. I’m just over the hill in the outskirts of Halifax.

Bob.

18 hours ago, AdgeC said:

@BugMan I've found the side panel datum dimensions I knew I had somewhere!

From front face of chassis, to front edge of front locating block (which locates bonnet):-

o/s - 953mm    n/s - 923

As with any WF dimension, it's a guide not an absolute, but provides a starter for ten for side panel positioning.

Might help with initial side panel positioning, for cutouts for bosses, but be prepared to have to shuffle them fore and aft, for final  positioning.

Ok, having a bit of a fight with the shell, but have the rear tub in what looks like the right position, with both side panels on, although not clipped onto the bottom of the chassis.

Your dimensions are spot-on AdgeC

Next is the dreaded cut work on the scuttle, CAD to the rescue here.

@BugMan You probably have, but just in case! Try putting the bonnet on, and see where every thing sits with that on, and nose offered up in place. Nose cone dictates spacing across side panels at the front. Ideally each side will be equal! But don't be suprised if you have to get it right by eye rather than ruler! Check clearance of front edge of o/s panel to lower wishbone. Had to "dress" my panel to give adequate clearance!

Yep, thanks that's what I'm working toward.

Currently I cant believe how badly things line-up between the sides and rear tub, the gaps are all over th eplace, and can see why the idea is to olt it all together and then bend it to fit on the chassis

Have you tried bolting the wheel arches on to see the full picture :p

Yea, and my mood got worse, so I stopped on that and started on my CAD scuttle

• Haha 1