Catalytic Converter

DELETE ME

Evening all,

I am preparing for the worst regarding the new possible MOT legislation coming into force this year.

I have a Westfield Seight with a Rover V8 that has been modified by V8 Developments back in 2001.

The ECU is a 14CUX ECU EFi System remapped.

At present there is no Lambda sensor and the exhaust system has no catalytic convertor at the moment.

Would effort would be required? Is it as simple as fitting a catalytic convertor or is there more to it?

I asked Troy @ NMS about the emissions when he was RR my Duratec westfield with fast road cams.

I am no expert but Troy demonstrated how at low revs (idle) the effects of turning on and off the lambda (OMEX ecu). The lambda i have is narrow band (think thats right) rather than wide band. You maybe able to do something similar on your ECU?

Like i say, I'm no expert, but the ecu can modify emissions, albeit under much more crude control to OEM emu's.

I would advise speaking to Troy, he can explain what options are available.

Andy

Pretty sure you would need to have the ECU running closed loop fueling with a lambda sensor if it really needs to meet cat emissions, as a cat on its own can't do all the emissions reductions if the engine is running too rich :)

That ECU can run closed loop with a couple of narrow band probes. It’s been a while since I messed with one, but there is a slim chance I might still have the wiring diagrams. I’ll look later.  For CATs, try https://profusionexhausts.com/catalytic-converters/sport-catalytic-converter.html one in each pipe should do it. I’ve been assured that one in a single outlet system will be fine for a specific 3l engine I am using in a project.

If the changes do come to pass, you will need to get it running closed loop I think, although I have heard tell of an SBC on a carb getting past with just a CAT and some careful setup.

ETA. Potential BS alert.....  found that paperwork, from a TVR 400/450 with the 14CUX hotwire injection....but there isn't any sign of a probe on it. I swear my V8 did......  mind you, I had the engine out of a 4.2 RR so maybe it was slightly different????

Ah, sanity returns, it must have. This page is useful, gives you what you need to know to set the correct 'tune resistor' value. http://www.actproducts.co.uk/2011/lucas-14cux-fuel-injection-system-–-installation-and-diagnostic-notes/  I thought I'd messed with both closed and open loop....

And a wiring diagram for fitting lambda probes here:

HotWireEfiWiring.jpg

HTH