Clarification of Technical Specification of Road Going/Road Based Cars 2018

John Williams (Panda) - Joint Manchester AO

I think if the question relates to wscc speed series then a lot of road going cars basically have self made covered foam passenger seats.  Other championships are known to be stricter and it must be a proper seat such as a half height karting style seat such as Tillett W1. 

This is about to open a massive can of worms as Howard ran the last event of the year with basically a gaffer taped set of curtains in place of a seat :o

I think there should be the question of is the OP's suggested passenger seat in the spirit of the speed series. We could probably pick something up on everyone's car that is a vague area regards the championship regs. 

14 minutes ago, syman84 said:

Howard ran the last event of the year with basically a gaffer taped set of curtains in place of a seat :o

Where did he get the curtains from? I want to get some (just a bit thinner):getmecoat:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

just put slicks on and run in G or H and you don't need a seat so there is no problem.

When we are happy to allow £20K engines , gearbox casings made from unobtainiun etc then a passenger seat is irrelavant IMHO

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, syman84 said:

This is about to open a massive can of worms as Howard ran the last event of the year with basically a gaffer taped set of curtains in place of a seat :o

I think there should be the question of is the OP's suggested passenger seat in the spirit of the speed series. We could probably pick something up on everyone's car that is a vague area regards the championship regs. 

Now, now.  It was a pair of curtains, a rug, and a vinyl covered tablecloth :d and was more substantial (and comfortable) than many others I've seen, and sat in, in the same or equivalent classes over the years.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, syman84 said:

I was only asking the question as have seen similar in roadgoing hillclimb/sprint caterhams. I am planning a cut down fibreglass seat but if others are 'getting away' with a token seat then if acceptable why not follow suit?

On 30/12/2018 at 16:52, Matthew Haynes said:

@Martyn Vann - Joint Warwickshire AO could you give a view, on MOT and this seat?

Sorry @Matthew Haynes not been on here since the santa run before Christmas! 

A passenger seat is not required for an MOT so removing loose cushions/seats is easiest. Also any seat belt fitted where there is no corresponding seat is not subject to inspection. An advisory may be recorded though.

• Thanks 1

Following that... Then I assume a full custom foam seat for the driver won't be allowed either? (those seats are not secured and basically is like going fully boublewrapped and snugly fitted in the cocpit.

The reason I'm asking is FAR away from weight saving. I have all te kit to do one of those, and was planning to do it quite soon, because with a fiberglass seat in the lowest position and rake confortable for me, I'm a bit borderline in the roll hop diagonal to the nose... with the epanding foam seat, I'm winning about 5cm that allow me to sat literally ON THE FLOOR but with an acceptable driving position. (rake, pedal postion, steering wheel...)

And, I would really like an straight answer to that, as all my 2019 season preparation starts by sorting the driving position without the expense of a full roll cage.

Appreciatte the Imput of the regulators here.

Thanks

Maurici.

• Like 1

Maurici

Are you entering road going class? If so then I think you will not pass an MOT with a "bubblewrapped" seat /foam drivers seat. I was talking about the passenger seat. 

Well. I've passed the mot without seats... so that wont be an issue. In talking from speed series prespective.

Big lads in s3 caterhams in roadgoing does so.

That is considered a 100% competition seat so, i doubt I would have any scrutiniering problems either.

Let me know your thoughts... i cant go out with my current seat, and i cant afford a roll cage now, so it pretty much depends of what im doing.

Is this the same car you competed with before? If so what seat did it have then?

Now I recall  that you was the one who highlighted i would need to do something about my height and the roll hoop after seeing a picture in facebook. I thought it would be cheaper to put a foam seat single seater style than a full roll cage...

But if it can't be... it can't be. No problem at all. All the unexpent money in sprints will be More money for trackdays.

This was my passenger seat. A piece of foam garage floor tile cut to size. It passed MOT in May 2018 without query or concern. It carried many passengers on track days, including me, without issue.

IMG_20180325_160146.jpg

IMG_20170319_171449.jpg

• Like 1

• John Williams (Panda) - Joint Manchester AO unpinned this topic