New Member - Cheshire - A1243R

A1243R

Got a link to the MK?

Factory built in 2010 is not necessarily a good thing with a MK,the old owners have built and sold some Indys on Dutton V5's:ph34r:

Avoiding the IVA test and then selling on to poor people that haven't got knowledge of kit cars.

23 minutes ago, A1243R said:

Kev - will do, a few have popped up on Facebook so i'll have to post the info on here copy and pasting. 

I've noted that my budget needs to be about 10/12k so it's most likely been upped! 

Chris, thanks for the detailed response, I don't think that is the car for me in all honesty just looked like a cheapish clean example. 

I'm still up in the air about BEC/CEC... I feel as though my heart is set on a BEC for thrills, noise, sequential gearbox but head is with the CEC...

This will literally be a toy and only used for the odd evening out and then track days... doubt I will end up doing 300+ mile trips in one. 

What are you looking at for a decent spec CEC with a Zetec engine in it? Say 180bhp? Ideally I don't want to spend more thank 10k if i am being sensible.

With a £10k max budget you should pick up a decent spec Zetec on throttle bodies. Mine puts out 183bhp and 175ftlb. 

One upgrade mine has is a heavy duty gearbox built by BGH with a long first gear and better ratios. The previous std type 9 was not that much cop and annoyed me - especially first gear. 

The uprated box makes a huge difference and would be a “must have” for me. 

• Like 1

Seems the weather is going to be reasonable on thursday... i could make the effort and actually bring the fastest westfield in cheshire... :p

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, maurici said:

Seems the weather is going to be reasonable on thursday... i could make the effort and actually bring the fastest westfield in cheshire... :p

Oh excellent, but how've you got Ash to lend you his supercharged Busa?

• Like 1

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

2 hours ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

With a £10k max budget you should pick up a decent spec Zetec on throttle bodies. Mine puts out 183bhp and 175ftlb. 

One upgrade mine has is a heavy duty gearbox built by BGH with a long first gear and better ratios. The previous std type 9 was not that much cop and annoyed me - especially first gear. 

The uprated box makes a huge difference and would be a “must have” for me. 

Thanks Chris - what sort of Box would you be looking out for then? 

Doesnt seem to be many Zetecs on the market at the moment in all honesty. 

3 hours ago, bunje said:

i really like the mnr i think its a grea looking car there is also this one for sale on locostbuilders with an ebay link

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MNR-Vortx-RT-plus-R1-bike-engine-Kit-car-Track-Trackday-Race-Fast-road/132527742003?hash=item1edb44dc33:g:IKQAAOSwnDBancuq

Really lovely car that isn't it, it's a little bit to much for me... orignail budget was 8k now at say 10/12k but need to get helmet/gloves etc with that. 

31 minutes ago, A1243R said:

Thanks Chris - what sort of Box would you be looking out for then? 

Doesnt seem to be many Zetecs on the market at the moment in all honesty. 

For road and track use as opposed to pure track and sprints, I’d suggest a helical synchro box rather than a straight cut one.

There’s a few people out there that modify the old Type 9 to make it a nicer and more suitable box. 

The main ones I have heard of are BGH, SPC and First Motion. But there are others such as Quaife and Tran-x. 

It’s not a cheap thing - you’re looking at  around £1200-1800 sort of money maybe more (£2700+ for a top spec one) - so if you find a car with one, take this premium into account.

Straight cut and “dog” boxes are stronger and thus preffered for cars with over 220-ish bhp, but they also tend to whine like a whiny thing in anything but 4th gear, so will soon become tiring for road use and earplugs will be soon become your best friend!

In terms of engines, don’t get focused (no pun intended!) purely on a Zetec. There are many others to choose from, but might be sensible to try and get the newest design you can afford. So a Duratec would be newer and a Vauxhall XE would be older for example. 

Zetecs are fairly good choices though as many (like my own) are “crate” engines. This means that although they are technically over 14 years old, as the last ones were made in 2004, they have never been run before being installed, so are effectively new. 

Duratecs are considered to be a better bet though as they are newer in design, produce more power out of the box and and easier to tune in future. (note ST170 engines are badged as Duratec, but in fact are tuned Zetecs) 

Hope this helps!

To add - if I wanted a car now for your budget I’d probably buy

but you will be lucky if it’s around after the weekend.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

To add - if I wanted a car now for your budget I’d probably buy

but you will be lucky if it’s around after the weekend.  

Im confident that the car is coming to crewe on saturday... what a waste of travel from cheshiere if not... :p

1 minute ago, maurici said:

Im confident that the car is coming to crewe on saturday... what a waste of travel from cheshiere if not... :p

I did say it wouldn’t be around after the weekend!

2 minutes ago, maurici said:

You're joking!

Not that there's huge amounts left, bar the chassis, but once upon a time, that was my mighty XE powered car!

Not joking... is even going to come with my trailer... :)

However im not who buys it.

Well now im speaking a bit too soon... but good chances are.