New Member - Cheshire - A1243R

A1243R

Hi All,

New member here as I'm looking to get a Kit Car (preferably a westy) and I'm also after some advice! 

Im unsure whether to go for a BEC or CEC, I've not owned a car like this before but had some fast cars in the past (c63, 335d etc). 

Im doing a large amount of mileage for work now and also have a baby so we've settled on a Volvo XC60 as a family car and I'm looking for something fun for the weekend/evenings. 

Ive a budget of around £8k (could stretch if required) to spend and I've seen a few already but the one I've got my eye on isn't actually a westy.... mac1#worx zx10r kit car ,l Mk indy ,caterham 7 , Westfield bike engined car Bec

I'm going to post a note in the wanted section to see what there is up for sale. 

I'd appreciate any guidance on BEC vs CEC in all honesty.

Itll be a split between Road and track use and only really dry weather. 

Thanks

AJ

The car  you linked looks well sorted (for the cash), but I don't have any experience of Mac1's.

The debate about BEC v CEC will always rumble on, in my opinion it comes down to personal preference.

Bike engines like/need to be revved, usually have a distinct power band, have a sequential gearbox but no reverse.  However, they are lighter and (usually) cheaper to obtain / replace/ rebuild.  There are lots of BEC owners on here who can advise you better than me on the pros and cons.

I read somewhere recently that if you want to sound like you're going fast, buy a BEC, however, if you want to go fast buy a CEC :p

• Like 1

I would highly recommend finding your local group and going along to there next meeting, and have a chat about cars and what you want to use it for, best move I made.

Find your local AO and find out when there next mtg is and pop along for a chat, you might also get a ride out in a WF.

• Like 1

Welcome! :ww:

With one of my other hats on, I’m the Cheshire and N. Staffs AO! Due to the bad weather last week, as it happens, we’ve actually delayed our March meet to this week. We will be at the Golden Pheasant in Plumley, just outside Knutsford on Thursday the 8th, from 7.30pm

I don’t think we’ve any Mac owners locally, but we do have members that have owned a variety of kits etc; you’d be very welcome to come along. While obviously there will be Westfield talk(!) we’re all just petroleum heads at heart and NO ONE has ever been turned away or made to feel unwelcome for owning, (or looking at) something different. A lot of the advice that we can give on what to look for when buying second hand is likely to be common to many kits and most Seven types anyway!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

Welcome! :ww:

With one of my other hats on, I’m the Cheshire and N. Staffs AO! Due to the bad weather last week, as it happens, we’ve actually delayed our March meet to this week. We will be at the Golden Pheasant in Plumley, just outside Knutsford on Thursday the 8th, from 7.30pm

I don’t think we’ve any Mac owners locally, but we do have members that have owned a variety of kits etc; you’d be very welcome to come along. While obviously there will be Westfield talk(!) we’re all just petroleum heads at heart and NO ONE has ever been turned away or made to feel unwelcome for owning, (or looking at) something different. A lot of the advice that we can give on what to look for when buying second hand is likely to be common to many kits and most Seven types anyway!

Dave, I'll try my best to make Thursday as I'm local to the pub. 

Im going to post a wanted add to see what's available at the moment too. 

Id love to have a westy but you pay a premium don't you unfortunately!

In the same way that you pay a premium for Caterhams over Westfields, yes there does seem to be a premium still for Westfields over some others. But that said, they also, like Caterhams, keep their value very well.

If you buy right and keep a car in the same sort of condition (or better!) that you bought it in, you’d be surprised how little, if any, value is lost in the short to medium term. 

Car age bears only a small part in what a Westfield is worth, specification, outside of a few sought after elements, also makes surprisingly little difference. Condition and build quality are everything. 

• Like 2

Don't rush out and buy one if you have no previous experience of kit cars,or no m8's that have to view/advise you! :)

Some of the build quality of kit cars is shocking once you get passed the nice shiny bodywork/seats/wheels/harnesses!

I've got a Mac1 as Russ says,bought part built though so I've never dealt with Mac1,from what I've read on locost builders they are a shocking company to deal with.

What are your mechanical/electrical skills/understanding like? :)

3 hours ago, CraigHew said:

I read somewhere recently that if you want to sound like you're going fast, buy a BEC, however, if you want to go fast buy a CEC :p

??? yeah I suppose you are always waiting for me tbf...........

NOT!:arse:

• Haha 1

@A1243R hi and welcome.

As a recent buyer with no experience I was in the same boat on the cec v bec. I also thought that if I went cec it had to be of a certain spec based on my knowledge of fast tins tops.

Oh how my mind was changed after joining this club and going and meeting people and getting passenger rides.

I went for something I never thought I would and I couldn’t be happier with it.

Best advice is as people have already said.....hold your water and get some rides at local meets or track days. That will really inform your decision and ensure you buy what’s really right for you.

Hope you get sorted soon.

Welcome to the club @A1243R - I was in your position 2 years ago and ended up buying the Megablade I have now after falling in love on a test drive! I never gave myself the opportunity to drive a CEC! I’m hoping to get to the April and May meets (can’t make the rescheduled March one)! 

Good luck with your car hunt...whatever you chose you will love...they’re all great in their own different ways,

where in Cheshire are you? I’m based in Holmes Chapel so look out for an orange one driving about (once the weather picks up)

Paul

Welcome AJ to the club. We maybe a Westfield club, but it isnt based solely on them. We have other members who do have other types of kit cars and all are welcome, incase you decide on a different 7 type car ( except Caterhams , we take offence to them :d. Only kidding ) . Take @Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary up on going to local meets and he will and other members steer you in a direction to spend your money wisely. Pax rides are good, as it will give you plenty of ideas and considerations on what to spend your money on. Its always awkward when you have money burning the hole on your pocket, but it is wise to hold on for now. There are cars due on the market as spring approaches ( allegedly !!) , which if you have researched and pax ridden and know better on what you want and be ready for the one to come along.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CosKev said:

Don't rush out and buy one if you have no previous experience of kit cars,or no m8's that have to view/advise you! :)

Some of the build quality of kit cars is shocking once you get passed the nice shiny bodywork/seats/wheels/harnesses!

I've got a Mac1 as Russ says,bought part built though so I've never dealt with Mac1,from what I've read on locost builders they are a shocking company to deal with.

What are your mechanical/electrical skills/understanding like? :)

Thanks for the welcome! Interesting that you say that about Mac as elsewhere I've seen some really good reviews of them. 

Mechanical skills are so so, I worked in a garage for around 18 months when i was at college so around 5 years ago but not really tinkered since. I have stripped and built motox bikes but they are so simple. 

Saving grace is that my partners dad owns a garage and has been a mechanic for 30 years so he knows his stuff! 

2 hours ago, jimbobtcc206 said:

@A1243R hi and welcome.

As a recent buyer with no experience I was in the same boat on the cec v bec. I also thought that if I went cec it had to be of a certain spec based on my knowledge of fast tins tops.

Oh how my mind was changed after joining this club and going and meeting people and getting passenger rides.

I went for something I never thought I would and I couldn’t be happier with it.

Best advice is as people have already said.....hold your water and get some rides at local meets or track days. That will really inform your decision and ensure you buy what’s really right for you.

Hope you get sorted soon.

Thanks for the welcome! What did you go for in the end? Pictures if you have :d 

I'm already coming round to thought of a Zetec Car but that sequential gearbox in a BEC just keeps pulling me in! 

34 minutes ago, Paul_r said:

Welcome to the club @A1243R - I was in your position 2 years ago and ended up buying the Megablade I have now after falling in love on a test drive! I never gave myself the opportunity to drive a CEC! I’m hoping to get to the April and May meets (can’t make the rescheduled March one)! 

Good luck with your car hunt...whatever you chose you will love...they’re all great in their own different ways,

where in Cheshire are you? I’m based in Holmes Chapel so look out for an orange one driving about (once the weather picks up)

Paul

Paul - I'm Cranage and Knutsford (living between my grandparents and in laws at the moment whilst we move) and went to Holmes Chapel Comp. I'd be really interested in seeing you're car and a potential spin if you'd be up for that? 

What made you got a BEC in the end? 

15 minutes ago, Thrustyjust said:

Welcome AJ to the club. We maybe a Westfield club, but it isnt based solely on them. We have other members who do have other types of kit cars and all are welcome, incase you decide on a different 7 type car ( except Caterhams , we take offence to them :d. Only kidding ) . Take @Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary up on going to local meets and he will and other members steer you in a direction to spend your money wisely. Pax rides are good, as it will give you plenty of ideas and considerations on what to spend your money on. Its always awkward when you have money burning the hole on your pocket, but it is wise to hold on for now. There are cars due on the market as spring approaches ( allegedly !!) , which if you have researched and pax ridden and know better on what you want and be ready for the one to come along.

I'm going to try and get there next Thursday and if not I'll head for the April one! 

Im sure there will be a lot coming onto the market in spring which is great but I suppose I was also holding out for the winter bargain ;) definetely best not to rush into though I agree. 

12 minutes ago, A1243R said:

Thanks for the welcome! Interesting that you say that about Mac as elsewhere I've seen some really good reviews of them. 

Mechanical skills are so so, I worked in a garage for around 18 months when i was at college so around 5 years ago but not really tinkered since. I have stripped and built motox bikes but they are so simple. 

Saving grace is that my partners dad owns a garage and has been a mechanic for 30 years so he knows his stuff! 

Thanks for the welcome! What did you go for in the end? Pictures if you have :d 

I'm already coming round to thought of a Zetec Car but that sequential gearbox in a BEC just keeps pulling me in! 

Paul - I'm Cranage and Knutsford (living between my grandparents and in laws at the moment whilst we move) and went to Holmes Chapel Comp. I'd be really interested in seeing you're car and a potential spin if you'd be up for that? 

What made you got a BEC in the end? 

I'm going to try and get there next Thursday and if not I'll head for the April one! 

Im sure there will be a lot coming onto the market in spring which is great but I suppose I was also holding out for the winter bargain ;) definetely best not to rush into though I agree. 

You’re not far away from me at all then! Cranage and Knutsford are on my usual routes when I’m taking the westie out! All being well (weather wise) I’ll be at the April meet so hopefully see you then and you’re more than welcome to go for a ride

Paul.

• Thanks 1

@A1243R that''s good you've got mechanical experience!

Have a read of this thread to give you some idea on Mac1's customer service,the blatant lies are probably the worst part :(

https://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/45/viewthread.php?tid=175001

But,if you buy a fully built road legal Mac1 you will have no need to deal with the factory, as it's only really bodywork/wishbones etc that you would ever need to buy from them if it got damaged.

Everything else is mainly universal parts or can be used from other kit car manufacturers with slight mods to some parts. 

Ref BEC vs CEC BEC's are certainly an aquired taste,the gearbox,being dog engagement,is clunky and knocks a lot coming off/going on the throttle etc due to lack of cushioning like you get on a bikes rear wheel.The low engine torque means you need to be using the gears a lot too,you can't be lazy like you can in a CEC and take roundabout's in third gear and just pull away out of it!

I love BEC's though,the acceleration with the sequential gearbox and noise at high revs is really good on B and A road blasts!Downside is they average about 1000rpm per 10mph,so 70mph cruising is 7000rpm,so on dual carriageway's/Mway's the high revving gets monotonous to me,but I'm not planning on touring etc so I just avoid boring straight roads and always go the back road/scenic route!

I've only been in one CEC vs 5 BEC's so I am biased,but the Zetec CEC I went in on Oulton Park confirmed my fears that the standard Type 9 box and Zetec on ITB's felt boring to me,revs dropped too much between gearchanges and it felt too much like a daily driver/tin top with the standard 5 speed gear change.

• Like 1