Two7

FW SE Zetec Build 2018

Two7

Hi

Following advice from all the positive responses to my hello world post here is my build blog.  Still waiting to collect the chassis and mechanicals, 13 days to go.   

Spec FW SE new style front and back.  Wide front track, heater, Zetec 2 Litre, Mazda dif, Ford recon gearbox, turbo seats, stone guards, 4 point harness, MSA cage, Westy calipers, Orange and black bodywork black wheels.  

Some questions,  first of many.

1,  Collection.   Any top tips for how to protect parts, secure stuff in transit ?   I am going to get the GRP at a later date so this trip will be all the heavy and sharp bits of metal.   I have built a wheeled skid for the Engine and gearbox and I have a selection of carry mats, old sheets and a lot of cardboard and straps, anything obvious I am missing ?  Do I need to take a selection of boxes ?

2. Doing all the riveting and pipes.   Question should I acid prime and spray all the bare aluminium panels or just some of them or don't bother.  I was thinking Waxoyl spray ( clear stuff like WD40) inside chassis while doing panels is this worth the effort ?

3. Any suggestions for a good supplier of the super hard drill bits for the chassis drilling, what is the typical price ( I have seen everything from very cheap and suspect to insane price and suspect).

4.  Any parts particularly prone to rust in storage while building so I can cover with some oiled paper.  My garage is not the driest place.

Any feedback gratefully received.

Regards

• Thanks 1

BugMan

I'd take some ratchet straps with you and/or some thing to buffer anything that might move about.

I actually got a local courier firm (2 decent blokes in a big white van) to pick me up and then go and get the kit,and they recently helped me again with the 1/2nd half, for me was a lot easier than hiring a van or anything (£240 a go).  Take any old sheets or blankets to help protect stuff if you have any, don't need boxes, you will likely get stuff in Box 1,2, 3 etc to match the inventory.  If you can get transport with a tail-lift, as I had to jack my engine lift as high as it would go to get mine off the back of the truck.

I took photos of everything once I got it home, and this has saved me with finding some bits missing, which did not match up with the inventory list.

I have an integral garage so I have not had problems with anything rusting or anything like that, but I guess that will depend on your setup,anything to keep it away from the wet and damp would be a good idea. 

On the panels and such, my chassis was already power coated, but all the panels are bare aluminium, and I chose to follow Dave's build advice and I prepped and painted black with Dinitrol 445 paint and have been very happy with the results.  Also use the Dinitrol ML anti-corrosion in the frame as you drill any holes, again great advice from Dave's build.  There is a build on here who has had his chassis and panels all coated by a local firm and it looks the bizz.

You will likely get the very old build manual, which is of very little actual use, the people here are your best bet, find a build diary you like and use that as a guide on what to do next.

I have found some very useful tools along the way, pipe bender you will deff need for the fuel and brake runs,  air compressor and a rivet gun was one of the best buys I invested in, hand riveting will kill you.  

Cleco's are worth there weight in gold when paneling  (make sure you get the 4mm version) https://www.amazon.co.uk/Temporary-Fasteners-Cleco-Sheet-Fastener/dp/B06XSM89M6/ref=sr_1_8?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1520077111&sr=1-8&keywords=Cleco

On the drill's I didn't spend a lot on 4.1mm drills, just bought a 10 pack, still have 7 left, as this approach saved on cost and the worries of snapping your £7 drill V a £1 one.  Lots of clamps very useful at all times for fixing things in-place.  You don't need to spend a lot of tools, but I've got hold of a load of stuff from Lidi, not such a posh name, but everything I have from them has been good apart from the air-drill, which I just did not get on with.

Your doing the right thing by running a build diary, we all love lots of picture, so post as you go along.  Don't be afraid to ask any questions as you go, you can bet your not the first to ask anything.

I have found building my car has been a life changing event, and that's down to the people on this forum helping me along the way, which i try to help pay back as well.

Might be worth putting up a post on what you have ordered, I'm sure everybody will be interested, a bit about yourself and what you want to do wit the car etc.

I would also HIGHLY recommend finding your local group and going along to introduce yourself, if its anything like my experience you will find a like minded bunch of people full of helpful advice, and you will find they can be bribed with tea/coffee and biskets to come along and lend a hand or just see how youre getting on.

• Like 4

Two7

Thanks for suggestions.  I like the idea of buying 10 cheap drills instead of 1 expensive drill, i was worried about snaping the drills, so I will give it a go.  Everybody is suggesting compressor and air riveter, Unfortunately my garage wiring is not up to more than the odd light and battery chargers (3 amp fuse) so its the lazy tongs riveter for me, which I am sure will be character building.  Will look into the cleco pegs and thanks for pointers on paint and Dinitrol.

Regards

Adge Cutler- Dorset AO

Think BugMans post covers most things. Van with tail lift is a must in my experience. Take a load of old blankets to protect stuff. If you can avoid putting engine/box on a wheeled trolley in the van, I would. It will be much more secure just sat on the floor of the van, and lashed to the side! Needs an engine hoist, some muscle when you get it home though.

Cleco's are very useful little tools.

Ian at the factory is an expert at loading stuff, guess he's done it a few times.

Probably been mentioned already, but when you're at the factory, take as many photos of cars "in build" as you can (doesn't matter to much what model), makes a useful reference when you're building I found.

Rich201060

Hi ,

I fitted all my panels then got them powder coated , takes a bit longer but worth it when they come back. The best advice I've had on here is don't use silicone get some polyurethane sealant, Ive been using Sikaflex cant recommend it enough .

Rich

Two7

Thanks for pointer to Sikaflex.  What is the benefit over silicone ?   

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

It’s a much stronger bond, and although there is a little flex, there’s much less movement than you get with silicon. It’s actually somewhere between a full on (structural) adhesive and a sealant.

wizzer
1 minute ago, Two7 said:

Thanks for pointer to Sikaflex.  What is the benefit over silicone ?   

Its a better adhesive than silicone and it seals as well

Tony

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

Yep, I’ve used Carbond too, and also seems very good.

GuitarmanUK

Riveting by hand can be done, I did mine this way.

I would also invest in a box of disposable surgical gloves to keep your hands clean, especially with the Sikaflex!  

BugMan

Now I'm lucky in that I have a compressor and air river gun, as well as the traditional rivet hand tool

Now while this is OK as there are a lot of places I found this was needed over the air rivet gun, down to space

919MYZc8UYL._SL1500_.jpg

I'd look at one of these if doing it all by hand, as this looks like it would be a lot easier to use

61-whT9hkyL._SL1500_.jpg

Peter (Monty)

I have one of these twist riveters which is excellent for the tight corners where the air riveter can't reach.

Two7

Thanks a PU Adhesive / sealant is now on order along with cleco tool and clecos.   I have the lazy tongs riveter for the bulk of the work and the smaller hand riveter for the tricky ones.  I also got a rivnut tool sounds like a good idea where you want to remove things later, rather than drill out rivets.

Cleared out space in the garage attic for lighter boxes and got my trestles ready with soft wood caps.

Got my tail lift van hired and got lots of padding and straps and rope, so hopefully all ready for the collection a week next Friday.  

Westfield confirmed that I get a cat and lamda probe and the ECU will manage emissions correctly with standard plenum, me just getting jumpy with the possible IVA emissions change, given I may not get it finished before the Gov fiddle with the rues or not who knows.

Regards