Two7

FW SE Zetec Build 2018

Yep I live in Abingdon. Many thanks for the offer Chris.   David_Thame has offered as well.  Where abouts are you based in relation to Abingdon ?  I  have an Audi A1 so the crane has to fold up fairly compact, have you got rough dimensions length x width ?

Couldn't resist pushing it out the garage.  Worlds biggest push along go cart.  Thanks to Chris for loan of crane, plan to pop engine in next weekend.

roll out.jpg

• Like 3

The engine is in :d with the help from a crane on loan from Chris Brading and extra pair of hands from eldest son AJ.  I haven't found many posts showing how it is done so here goes.

Step 1 take off both engine mounts, the air filter and plenum, the gear stick and reverse switch cable. 

Step 2 cover the brake pipes, fuse blocks, brake master cylinder and chassis lower hoop with padding.  

Step 3 put thick padding on top of engine and wrap around edges.  Attach chains to both lifting eyes and a chain to a bolt in the cylinder head near dipstick and bolt in cylinder head near distributor.  Put padding round chains that can touch anything.

Step 4 Jack up front of chassis a little, wheels 15 cm off the ground.  Hand brake on.

Step 5 lift engine with load leveler, so engine horizontal, once lifted over front chassis rail get gear remote near to scuttle, then start to tilt to 45 degs.  Looks alarming but keep going till gear remote is down in tunnel opening.

eng1.jpg

eng2.jpg

Step 6 gently lower crane and reduce angle of tilt, pushing crane forward each time.  Repeat till gearbox support bracket is over slotted plate in tunnel.  This needs 2 people, as my able helper gently lifts gear remote such that gearbox support bracket gets over hoop in tunnel and up on to slotted plate.  Also at this point let off handbrake and gently slide prop shaft into gearbox ( may need to make minor turns to shaft coming out of gearbox, once aligned it slides in with ease.  

eng3.jpg

eng4.jpg

eng5.jpg

eng6.jpg

eng7.jpg

Step 7 Keep on crane , once engine mounting brackets are dry installed mark through holes in gearbox support bracket on to gearbox slotted plate.  Then take off engine mounting brackets and push gearbox left and drill left side hole then repeat on right.  Refit engine mounts, and gearbox bolts, remove crane and torque up.

eng8.jpg

eng9.jpg

eng10.jpg

eng11.jpg

• Like 5

I thought there was a large section of the manual showing how to chuck it in. I know it's the one you get for the s2000 which is completely pointless as it's the zetec engine going in. Looks like decent progress by the way.

Glad the engine hoist worked okay.  I thought it was possible to push the gear box aside and drill the mounts, good to know for sure.  

Feedback on gearbox for newbies like me.  With respect to instructions in manual on where to drill the gearbox filler access hole, take the diagram and dimensions in the manual with a pinch of salt.   I drilled a small pilot 4mm hole as per manual and probed to find gearbox filler, it turned out to be far  lower and  nearer the front of the car than the manual said :bangshead: My pilot hole will be used to rivet on a cover plate so waste not want not re the holes.

After reading all the posts on Type 9 gearbox oil I Double checked with WF as to why they have supplied ATF fluid.  They assure me it is not a mistake, this is the best fluid for the reconditioned Type 9 gearbox.   Hopefully I won't regret putting ATF in the gearbox.

gearbox.jpg

I have standard air filter on Zetec, so I have the steering shaft support bracket to fit.   Word of advice for newbies, the outer lower chassis rail and the plate that sits on top of it seem to be made of armour plate ( I guess to cope with engine resting on them), it took a lot of effort to drill the two 6mm holes, but the result was worth it.  A bit of copper lip on the bush and the wheel turns very evenly.

bracket.jpg

Type 9's run ATF , the pink stuff. Do not put GL oil in there, you wont get gears when cold. 

See the thread I did here about an easier way to fill the gearbox without drilling holes and trying to cover the garage floor with overflowing oil.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Thrustyjust said:

Type 9's run ATF , the pink stuff. Do not put GL oil in there, you wont get gears when cold

See the thread I did here about an easier way to fill the gearbox without drilling holes and trying to cover the garage floor with overflowing oil.

What’s wrong with Comma sx 75/90 GL4 spec oil for a type 9?

1 hour ago, John (Kernow) said:

What’s wrong with Comma sx 75/90 GL4 spec oil for a type 9?

Hi John, I 'think' GL4 'maybe' fine. Just GL5 isnt . Comma ATF is the usual stuff. Not sure if that is GL4 ?

Zetec rocker cover breather question.  As supplied by WF the plastic rocker cover vent has a bit of heater hose held on by a cable tie and it takes a squashed route down under inlet plenum and just vents vertically down to the ground.  Options.  A) leave as supplied, but risk oil dripping out, B) create a U bend and point up, C)  create U bend and fit small filter to hose, D) fit MSA oil catch tank and attach both rocker cover and crankcase breathers.   Any suggestions gratefully received.