Two7

FW SE Zetec Build 2018

I give you 10 out of 10 for observation.  Wow many thanks for spotting  this, I assume it is an IVA requirement. This is a bit of a surprise, no mention of this task in the manual, and not fitted to either of the cars in the factory I photographed.  I got the cover for the track rod ends sorted  but clearly missed this.   

Ah I have found an example of what to do thanks to AdgeC.  I know those IVA nut covers.

image.jpeg

Question about gearbox mounting with Zetec kit.    The chassis has two slots for "gearbox mounting" but the manual says drill two holes and it gives dimensions / locations for the holes.  QUESTION, can I trust those dimensions / locations or should I dry fit the engine then mark up the holes, remove engine, drill then re-install.  I have seen a number of build logs and it seems to be a 50 : 50 split on approach followed.

PS just order my bodywork, going for Orange and Black.   6 week lead time, cant wait.  However they mentioned Chrome Yellow is apparently nearer 6 month lead time, just in case anybody has that as a colour choice.

Black and orange good choice nearly as nice as black and white:p

I suspect you will get 50 : 50 split as an answer.   I predrilled mine to manual but took the engine mount of the box and used it as a template and it worked.  Would I do it differently now ? yes I think I would.

Chris

I drilled mine with a smaller drill bit from the top once the engine was fixed then drilled with the correct size drill bit from the bottom. Perfect alignment just be careful that when you go through you don't touch the threads.

Fitting the tank and noticed how close it gets to rear upper wishbone mounting.   How do people Torque up the top rear wishbone (rear mounting) when the tank appears to get in the way of the nut, do you undo the tank straps and lift the tank a little or is there another trick.

wishbone_tank.jpg

2 hours ago, Two7 said:

Fitting the tank and noticed how close it gets to rear upper wishbone mounting.   How do people Torque up the top rear wishbone (rear mounting) when the tank appears to get in the way of the nut, do you undo the tank straps and lift the tank a little or is there another trick.

won't the torque wrench fit the bolt spanner on the nut?

Crows foot wrench would also do it :yes:

getting a spanner on the nut is the problem, the fuel tank sump gets in the way.

Fuel tank fitting has been more challenging than expected.  I could not get a nut on one of the studs ( behind seat ), till I noticed a tiny weld splatter in the thread, quick tap with a centre punch and off it came and thread was fine.

tank2.jpg

Then when I tried to fit the studs at the back end I found the set screws provided ( on the left) had too long a plain shaft so they didn't stick out far enough when screwed into the threaded tube, so made my own bolts which seem to work fine (on the right).  

tank3.jpg

Then the breather pipe, the jubilee clip is too big so I went with tie wrap, I assume this is OK as little or no fluid should go up that pipe, please let me know if this is an IVA no no.

tank1.jpg

tank4.jpg

• Like 1

Check your seat studs for the same thing before you fit them, I found 2 bad ones.

• Like 1

Done all the fuel pipe runs, just wondering about the plastic sleeves.  Manual says sleeve where it touches chassis and make sure ISO standard text is visible for IVA.   But sleeve along whole length "feels" a bit safer to me.   What is the current advice on this ?   Also have a look at the routes I have followed and shout if you see anything bad.  I have followed the manual route for the return pipe so it is inside the wishbones and near the drive shaft on passenger side, I have attached to chassis so can't touch any moving part, but it still looks exposed to me.  Note the Hand brake cable follows a similar route under the drive shafts as per manual.

tank5.jpg

tank6.jpg

tank8.jpg

tank9.jpg

I covered my fuel hose (not pipe) with split conduit, quite prepared to remove some at IVA if required to show hose marking. Not asked by examiner to do so however. Also took hose offcut with me to IVA to show him if required,

Job to tell from photo, bit be prepared to have to pull the outlet loop from the tank to pump inlet forward to clear the boot box when time comes to fit it IYSWIM. It's not a problem, just something to check, when the time comes.

• Like 1

Big day, finished the fuel tank, pump, filter etc, put the wheels on and it is now on the ground.  Need to tidy up the garage borrow a crane, then drop in the engine.   Spot the outrageous toe out, will sort that out in due course.   For the benefit of other novices like me, when putting the wheels on check the text on the tyre, they have Left and Right on the tyres, guess who had them the wrong way round to start with.

on_wheels.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Just had a look at your profile ( sorry )

Oxfordshire right? Very close to me if so.

I have a engine crane you can borrow if you like.