14 days and counting to FW SE Build

Two7

New visitor here.  Mark from Oxfordshire.

I have an orange and black complete Zetec SE kit on order and I should be picking it up in two weeks time ( fingers crossed weather etc).  This is my second build, sort have got a rather expensive build habit forming.  I have to confess I embraced the dark side first,  I assembled a Caterham 160 in 2016 / 2017. All IVA'd and great fun on road and track, looking forward to the challenge of assembling the Westy 2 Litre, the test drive was great so looking forward to 150 BHP vs 80 BHP.  House rule is I can keep the 160 till the Westy is IVA'd after that I have to decide which I like best and sell the other, not looking forward to that decision, but we have to eat apparently.  

Spec for westy.   Wide front track, 4 point harness, MSA Roll Bar, Heater, Half hood, sidescreens, Turbo seats, westy calipers, stone guards.

Will do a youtube channel for the westy build and link it to this forum if that is allowed.

Did a youtube channel for 160  build if anybody interested https://youtu.be/LLMKo96xB4w No pipe bending. simple wiring and fewer rivets, so I am expecting more fun with Westy build.

Ah well better book the Luton.

Just one question.  Are Westfield reliable with collection date ?   They keep saying 16 March, should I expect a last minute delay ?

Regards

Hi Mark

Welcome aboard - I think I'll be the first, but will certainly not be the last to suggest you start "Build Thread" in the Tech Talk section and update it regularly with lots of pictures.

It is an INVALUABLE tool to a build and certainly saved my IVA Bacon more than once!

The YouTube diary might work - but many, many more builders and experienced people are on here all the time to guide you - and they won't bother looking on YouTube too often.

Factory are reliable with pick up slots usually - BUT there will be bits missing :d

Welcome to the club. Glad to see a 'maybe' local build starting up. Easy for the factory to collect too. As for if the dates are good. Yes , they are good. But the chances of collecting everything you have ordered , is doubtful. But thats the way its always been , so just enjoy the build you have. I thought Caterhams come in 4 boxes, not 40 like a Westfield. A build thread here is great for people to see your progress, others to learn new ideas and also to assist when you get stuck.

:ww: I’m sure we can covert you from the dark side to see the light:d

:ww: from sunny Somerset. As others have said, a build thread is a great assistance, lots of very knowledgeable people on tap, effectively. Was a great help when I built mine last year. Enjoy the build.

A YouTube diary would make a nice change! 

• Haha 1

As others have said both welcome :ww:and while a YouTube is a neat idea, I'd also go with the build thread, it has already saved my from a few silly mistakes.

Have a look through the builds, both completed and in-progress your bound to pick up some ideas

What are you intending to use the car for?  Are you taking the full kit in one go, or splitting the delivery?

I assume if you built one of those cars your well setup for build tools and space etc.

Thanks for the welcome.   I will do a build thread and link to youtube cover both communities.  

Answering some of the questions.

1.  I have plumped for chassis and mechanicals delivery now and requesting bodywork etc at a later date, rumour has it fresh "green" GRP is more flexible than GRP that has been in storage for 6 months also I have nowhere to store it.

2.  I think I have all the tools, but I bet there is something Westfields need that Caterhams don't.  The strange Caterham tools include a "drift" to get the oil seals in to the 160 live axle ( rolling pin and some duct tape )  and a key to get the gearbox oil level plug out ( 3 attempts to make that as not all chrome vandium tools were born equal or perhaps somebody forgot the chrome or Vandium), I fear this tool may be required again on the Westy.      Any tools you recommend I should manufacture for this build to ease the assembly.

3.  Live in Abingdon

4. Garage 1960's single so space is a premium.

Regards

Probably my most used non-satandard toolkit type tools on Westfield builds are a Rivnut inserter and then GRP shaping stuff. A Dremmel type tool is worth its weight in gold, but I also find myself using a power file type tool a huge amount; perfect for cleaning up and shaping GRP and aluminium, steel etc. Whether it’s dressing welds shaping brackets or filing back GRP.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

Air riveter. Worth its weight in gold. 

If you've selected the unpanneled chassis option, then yes, it certainly is, but you also need a compressor to run one!

On my first build, I ended up hiring a cordless rechargeable riveter, (from HSS, if I recall), as I hadn't got a compressor that was up to an air riveter, at the time.

Second Chris on the air riveter, but it obviously requires a compressor. But a compressor is a life tool , so something that is very sensible to budget for. The riveter is cheap enough but if I was building another and choice was wife leaving if I needed to buy tools or air riveter, I'd be straight down machine mart. :d

Abingdon isnt far, I am in Thatcham :t-up:

Also but some high quality jobber drill bits for the rivets . They are shorter and get into tighter spaces and dont break due to their length. I did all the chassis on 3 of them. Broke 2 getting to the gearbox mount !! They arent expensive but worth their weight in gold.

Also, if you can build the car on a rolling stand to as far as you can, its great 1/ you can wheel it outside when the weathers better, 2/ you can then clean the garage 3/ you arent breaking your back doing stuff. I have some wheels you can borrow and some builders tressels , but you will need some 4 X 2 , as I used that some where else.