Oil change

DELETE ME

Evening all,

My Westfield Seight has been off the road for the last 6 months and it did about 1500 miles last year. 

My question is do I drop the oil and change the filter without turning it over, or do I turn it over and get the oil up to temperature before dropping the oil and changing filter?

The battery has been hooked up to an optimate that has kept the battery is good condition. 

What are you thoughts?

change the oil cold, after 6 months most of it should have dropped into the sump.

I always do mine hot, although this winter I read a lot of reports of the merits of a cold change, so I let it drip for a couple of days cold.

• Like 1

With the Rover V8's ability to drain its oil pump of oil, I would try and start and check you have oil pressure before changing the oil. By removing a partially drained oil pumps oil filter may make the issue worse. By all means turn it over, check it starts and has oil pressure , but by doing that, I would drain it hot rather than cold. Make sure you quickly change the pre oil filled filter too, to keep the pump oil filled.

• Like 1

an old Indian trick is to keep the new oil in the house for a couple of days so when you add it to the engine it's about 20 degrees and will flow better than cold.

If it's a well known issue the oil pump draining etc as Justin says I would be inclined to do as he says.

But on a engine with no oil pump issues that's sat for as long as yours has I would do what Craig says,leave it overnight draining then when you go or the big restart you have nice fresh oil in it :)

22 hours ago, Thrustyjust said:

With the Rover V8's ability to drain its oil pump of oil, I would try and start and check you have oil pressure before changing the oil. By removing a partially drained oil pumps oil filter may make the issue worse. By all means turn it over, check it starts and has oil pressure , but by doing that, I would drain it hot rather than cold. Make sure you quickly change the pre oil filled filter too, to keep the pump oil filled.

Thanks all for your advise.

just so I am clear when I change the oil filter, I should prime this with new oil before fitting?

this will help not to drain the oil pump, correct.

I wouldn't worry about it, it's near impossible to fully drain any engine of oil, there will always be some left to mix in with your fresh stuff. The important thing is to make sure the ratio is high in favour of the new oil.