Jerky acceleration

Weekend Warrior

On the last couple of runs out I’ve notice that when accelerating sometimes it’s a bit jerky and not a smooth progression .This can be under gentle pressure on the pedal after lifting off .

its a tuned Dunnell zetec 2.0 blacktop and Ive had it for nearly a year now ,does it need fine tuning every now and then ?

Any thoughts 

Steve

Could be the TPS (throttle position sensor).  Mine exhibited that sort of behaviour and it turned out that the TPS had come undone ever so slightly, so was giving false readings to the ECU at certain points.

10 minutes ago, Quinten Uijldert - Northants AO said:

Could be the TPS (throttle position sensor).  Mine exhibited that sort of behaviour and it turned out that the TPS had come undone ever so slightly, so was giving false readings to the ECU at certain points.

Thanks Quinten is this something that can be checked easily (if so how) or does it mean a trip to a garage .

thanks 

Steve

Don't know which throttle bodies you have, but here you can see it on the Omex version

omex%20throttle%20bodies%20SS%20(1)_0.JP

it's the thingy on the left hand side.  It will have a electrical connector going to it.  Just check the screws first before spending money on a new one...

Edited to add: do not undo it!  It determines the amount of fuel going into the TBs, so if you undo it, you may need to hook it up to a laptop or (worse) have it set up again on a rolling road

• Like 1

Do you run it on normal 95 unleaded?

If you do try super unleaded 97/99 in it :)

29 minutes ago, CosKev said:

Do you run it on normal 95 unleaded?

If you do try super unleaded 97/99 in it :)

Always have ,previous owner owner have same advice :yes:

• Like 1

Is it carbs or injection?

3 hours ago, John said:

Is it carbs or injection?

Jenevy throttle bodies 

2.0 zetec

Sticky throttle cable? Cheap to swap out

I may have a similar problem, when I ease off my accelerator then just want to ease back on it can sometimes have kangaroo juice in it mine is a 1.8 zetec with injectors. 

This is my first westie so still getting used to it 

1 hour ago, Baker E said:

I may have a similar problem, when I ease off my accelerator then just want to ease back on it can sometimes have kangaroo juice in it mine is a 1.8 zetec with injectors. 

This is my first westie so still getting used to it 

Bingo same symptoms as mine ,only happened to me recently,I’ve done a good 3000 miles trouble free up until now .

Im sure it’s nothing serious but looking for pointers as I want to understand the mechanical side ,if all else fails I’ll take it to a garage !

Your has throttle bodies where mine has injectors John asked if yours was Carbs or Injectors I’m wondering if he knows anything about the injectors that can cause me this problem it must be something or nothing because if I put my foot down a bit more it stops

1 hour ago, Baker E said:

Your has throttle bodies where mine has injectors John asked if yours was Carbs or Injectors I’m wondering if he knows anything about the injectors that can cause me this problem it must be something or nothing because if I put my foot down a bit more it stops

Throttle bodies have injectors,just they have a individual throttle body for each cylinder rather than a inlet manifold with one big throttle body :)