Half hood on FW with standard hoop

hawksa

Hi,

Looking to fit my half hood on my FW with standard hoop. I have fitted the channel rail and the front press studs. Does anyone have any pictures of how they fitted their rear straps?

Cheers,

Simon.

Sure the hood would be similar to the half rollbar on mine. I tried different places to pull the tension on the hood and I ended up at the factory location, which is under the boot lip I used some carbon patches to stop the strap rubbing on the body. Not an issue as such when clean, but grit and mud would easily cause a bit of damage

5a89b62e661f1_281HalfHoodFitted.thumb.jpg.1a93f3c68af088257d713c667a870c95.jpg

• Thanks 1

I had a press stud in the boot box and put the strap through the gap between boot lid and body. My boot lid is the older style where it has 2 pins that locate into body so you can take it right off.

• Thanks 1

Here's what I have to work with.

hood.thumb.jpg.cd54ddc2aa86860cd42ffc1826a297d2.jpg

The Y-shaped straps aren't long enough to reach to underneath the rear lip and so I think that they'll have to go in side the boot. My only concern is that the straps will end up being tensioned by the boot lid.

Simon.

I’m curious though, I though that rear “strap length” dimension was on of the three you specify when ordering?

Personally, I would say you need to contact them, the straps need to attach to the car properly or will pull off at speed. (Been there, got that t-shirt)

The lower end of the strap is normally removable, so can they not just make a longer set up for you? (I’ve done it on my own car, to allow a longer set of straps to fasten over the top of a wet bag lashed to the top of the boot when touring.)

I think that I was only asked for one dimension which was the distance between the windscreen and the hoop. I will give them a call.

Did they know it was for FW bodywork, not standard ZK? The FW needs longer rear straps, especially to fasten on the underside of that rear lip.

they used to ask for the dimensions below, (years ago, when I first looked into it).

35791677-4924-4E85-B66D-74AB069E4F52.jpeg

Been there, done that, got the tee shirt !

SBFS made a half hood for my 250, took a while, and a bit of toing and throwing, but pleased with end result. They hadn't made one for a 250 before with taller screen. Sent all dimensions as Daves post above, and Got the hood shape and dimensions right after making a template. Then had similar problems to you with strap lengths. Sent them photos with dimensions required, spoke to Tristan, and like Dave says they supplied longer straps for sides and rear.

Initial short straps

image.thumb.jpeg.6874e3bcc753eac7f5d952be53ce061c.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.2b8b0b5f6172f8ddd53fd6342aa4f441.jpeg

Final long straps that now fit

image.thumb.jpeg.1aceb18377e2b8f49cdfdddb6bad3ede.jpeg

Position of poppers on body

image.thumb.jpeg.2796e8bf282a8d93a716ea303d089ee7.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.5f74e1059d175a60653acc4a161be3b7.jpeg

Now fits a treat, don't seem to have any shots with it fully fitted!

It was a bit painful to be honest, but excellent end result.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2