BugMan

Now that my car is starting to look like a car, it occurred to me that I suspect its probably not covered under our household insurance.

Has anybody any experience, or suggestion on if its possible to get a policy to cover the car, which as its in-build, as obviously I cant insurer it any normal route it as its not got a registration yet.

Appreciate any suggestions or companies that might be able to help?

Yes, all the usual kit car insurers should be able to help. Just call them up and ask for build cover. They'll want to know the value of the parts and will insure it on the chassis number.

I wonder how many ‘in build’ just get nicked per year?

Got to be pretty close to 0?

5 minutes ago, RussH said:

Bet there's more go up in flames

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RussH said:

My insurance renewal is due and I made the mistake for totting up the value of the parts which came to double what I had the car insured for. Therefore parts are expensive items and worth insuring against at least theft

I'm not saying its not worth insuring for - it absolutely is.

I was merely wondering how many get stolen "in build".

The finical controller is the originator of the question, so its important to me, for a safe home life.

Suggested insurers please?

Speak to Carlie :love: at Aplan. They can cover the value of the car on a limited mileage policy, which then means its covered for building and  IVA , as done using the chassis number. Very simple and something I did , just before I put any fuel in the tank. She is based in the Thatcham, Berks branch , so give her a call. Then when you get IVA and a reg number, give her another call and she will change the policy for the reg. No cancelling this and starting that. 

Insured mine in bits from time I collected it, through APlan as per TJ above. When your ready for IVA, ring them and they will send a cover note. Then when you've got a reg. no let them know again, and they issue a cert. against the reg., and off you go!

On my first build in 2012 I had a ‘build’ policy which was £200 up to registration or a year whichever came 1st. On my current build A Plan has covered it on the chassis number and once registered add the number plate - policy was about £125.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorted with new business team, chap called Ross, very helpful

New policy never nice but seemed reasonable as covered on my chassis number and easy to convert once through IVA/registered