Unfinished or instarted project.

Wesley

2 hours ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

Dave is right. If you look at the proposal it clearly states this. 

The proposal doesn’t state that kits will simply have to pass the bet test for 92 and newer engines, as I read it. I read it as all new kit cars will be tested on the current (at the time of registration) mot rules when they are three years old.

4.11 We are proposing that for kit cars, compliance with the MOT emissions standards current at the date of registration will be required, despite the use of an older engine. In other words the current relaxation for emissions according to the age of the engine will no longer apply.

I’ve just found the clarification and I still think the same. If I am getting this wrong could someone please explain. Because the way I see the clarification is that Peter Bailey has taken Mike Lowe’s answer to mean that all a kit would need to pass the mot is a cat. I don’t think it’s going to be that simple as the emissions become tighter and tighter (as they will) hence my comment to get a partially built car registered asap. Because you won’t be able to mot it on the age of the engine, if the proposal goes ahead, as you can now.

Peter Bailey of the Chesil Motor Company has now had clarification from Mike Lowe, Acting Head of Branch, Regulation, International Vehicle Standards. Mike Lowe says: “The change proposed is to treat kit cars as having a new engine and thus subjected to the MOT standards applicable to new vehicles (once they reach 3 years old). This is a test with a vehicle idling (for petrol).”

Our understanding is that this would mean all newly registered kit cars would have to meet the requirements for production cars registered from 1992 onwards, this being a Basic Emissions Test (BET) requiring a catalytic converter.

8 hours ago, Jim G said:

compliance with the MOT emissions standards current at the date of registration will be required,

This is the para.

The current MOT standard right now is a Bet test as Peter Bailey says.

Of course in future the “current” mot may change, but if the proposal goes through now, then the bet test applies and thus any fairly modern engine will pass with FI and a cat.

I agree it will mean older engines will struggle or fail to comply hence my own objection to the proposals. But people seem to be reading this as if the rules will suddenly mean new kits have pass Euro 6 emissions at the MOT.

Exactly, the MoT testing standard is VERY different from the construction and use type standards applied to mass manufacturers.

However, as I’ve repeatedly pointed out, whilst the standard at the moment is easily passed by any engine of reasonably modern provenance, (last thirty years or so), once the IVA test becomes linked, we’re at the mercy of whatever whim the government of the day has when it comes to tightening MoT’s to force people down some fad of the week environmental route.

And you can bet your life that when they decide to tighten the MoT emissions test, the blindest bit of thought will not be given to kits.

10 hours ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

This is the para.

The current MOT standard right now is a Bet test as Peter Bailey says.

Of course in future the “current” mot may change, but if the proposal goes through now, then the bet test applies and thus any fairly modern engine will pass with FI and a cat.

I agree it will mean older engines will struggle or fail to comply hence my own objection to the proposals. But people seem to be reading this as if the rules will suddenly mean new kits have pass Euro 6 emissions at the MOT.

That’s how I read it Chris, that new kits will have to pass the latest emissions at MOT. “MOT emissions standards current at the date of registration” meaning if it’s euro6 or whatever when the kit is registered then that’s what it will have to pass every MOT thereafter, irrespective of what engine you use. Am I reading this wrong?

10 hours ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

And you can bet your life that when they decide to tighten the MoT emissions test, the blindest bit of thought will not be given to kits.

Exactly what I think, Dave.

7 minutes ago, Jim G said:

That’s how I read it Chris, that new kits will have to pass the latest emissions at MOT. “MOT emissions standards current at the date of registration” meaning if it’s euro6 or whatever when the kit is registered then that’s what it will have to pass every MOT thereafter, irrespective of what engine you use. Am I reading this wrong?

Mot emissions are completely different from new car emissions. Even if it’s Euro6 for new cars, the Mot is not Euro6, it is (currently) “basic emissions”

So, yes I do think you are reading it wrong :)

30 minutes ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

Mot emissions are completely different from new car emissions. Even if it’s Euro6 for new cars, the Mot is not Euro6, it is (currently) “basic emissions”

So, yes I do think you are reading it wrong :)

Right :)

1 hour ago, Jim G said:

That’s not right Euro 4/5/6 etc were limits manufacturers had and have to work towards for new production cars and nothing to do with the MoT requirements fo emissions.

58 minutes ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

That’s not right Euro 4/5/6 etc were limits manufacturers had and have to work towards for new production cars and nothing to do with the MoT requirements fo emissions.

Gotcha:) 

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.