Duratec Oil & Filter

snowy892

Hi guys, 

Can anyone tell me what grade oil I need (best possible brand) and oil filter number for my duratec 2L. 

Many thanks

Richard

HOF307 and I use Gulf Competition Ester Synthetic 5w40 but probably overkill for road use only.  

I used Millers fully synthetic competition oil, also 5W40. But also overkill if your engine is fairly standard internally and only used for road use. In the latter case, any 5W40 oil from one of the reputable manufacturers is fine. 

For trackdays you might want to go for a heavier grade, and fully synthetic, because the oil is going to get hotter than in normal brisk road use. So maybe a 10W50. I know some even go for a 10W60 or 15W60, but unless the engine has been built very "loose" for minimum drag I wouldn't have thought a modern engine like a duratec needs the extra thickness of the thicker oils.

You know how you drive?

To get the best out of my engine I tend to rev it, I also do a couple of track days. So I buy an oil called pro+ power gold fully synthetic and its cheap through the local motor factor!

I spoke to an oil rep from opie who advised me to get the cheapest oil that meets the specification of the manufacturer of the engine eg ford. The reason for this in his eyes was, the cheaper oil is the correct specification but may not hold that spec for as long as a better brand but the same spec! As I do around 4k miles per year he said just change it every year, there is no reason to spend silly money unless it makes you feel better. Even the cheaper oil should stay in spec for way longer than my annual usage. My zetec was new when installed and when I change my oil it comes out as clean as it went in, one of my mechanics saves my old oil and services his car with it!! His car is fine to!

Brands sold by Opie eg millers shell etc     https://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-1180-shop-by-brand.aspx

In my garage one of our specialties is performance Japanese eg Subaru's etc now in these we only use top notch millers oil as a turbo engine is a different thing all together due to the heat an engine can suffer under certain conditions! The Subaru tuned engine for example doesn't like to be held flat out they wont last long held at flat out top speed, in reality that engine is under full load for short bursts. In my 2.5 400bhp ish car I took a friend out who said all those sorts of cars are thrashed and challenged him to keep his foot on the throttle on a quick cross country road, funnily enough  he concluded his ankle hurt because compared to his normal car his ankle was bent up most of the time almost off the power.

As others have said you know the tune of your engine but if standard I wouldn't  get to carried away with the more expensive oils.

1 hour ago, stephenh said:

For trackdays you might want to go for a heavier grade, and fully synthetic, because the oil is going to get hotter than in normal brisk road use. So maybe a 10W50. I know some even go for a 10W60 or 15W60, but unless the engine has been built very "loose" for minimum drag I wouldn't have thought a modern engine like a duratec needs the extra thickness of the thicker oils.

I tend to do long track stints and have never had an oil pressure issue when hot so I reckon you’re spot on there. 

Thank you for all your replies. It seems that 5-40 is the way to go. Definitely makes sense if I'm changing the oil annually go for the oil that meets the specifications. Great advice. 

Sorry 2 more questions part or fully synthetic? 

Any part numbers for oil filter. 

Apparently HOF266 fits too, which is shorter so helps if you have access issues. 

I think actual running temperature is important and the engine design..and for track use and high temperatures in a duratec I was advised that due to the aluminium block and internal design a high temperature fully synthetic oil will help protect the engine the most.

I was advised to and do use a fully sinthetic 10w 60

Also I understand that these more complex fully synthetic oils also break down more quickly so I change each year which is after about 1500 hard miles...

48 minutes ago, RussH said:

Apparently HOF266 fits too, which is shorter so helps if you have access issues. 

Thank you, didn't quite get first time round. Doh!

10 minutes ago, snowy892 said:

Thank you, didn't quite get first time round. Doh!

Use the HOF307 if you can, I work on the theory of bigger filter = better!