Sound/ Heat insulation

BugMan

OK,this has been on my mind for a while, but I'm quickly reaching the point of having to make a decision,as I'm now very close to dropping my chassis off the tresses to axle stands, ready to try to fit the engine.

I have taken note of Dave's thread where he fitted this Dynamat heat & sound matting to his cockpit and very much like the idea.

So I'm at the point where if I'm going to fit something like this, I have the opportunity to fit this on the in-side of the tunnel paneling, before I fit the prop-shaft and engine/gearbox.

Has anybody through, or even done this,and do the forum think it's worthwhile?

Dave - if you had the choice would yo have fitted on the inside of the tunnel?

Now I'm assuming Dave did this for a very good reason,and while I could follow his excellent idea on the floor of the cockpit, If I were to fit this on the inside of the tunnel panels, I think I would be saving a bit of hassle and room for the driver/passenger as lets be honest, I like my food.

I could then apply the same logic on the inside of the outer panels.

Be very grateful for any thoughts, if anybody has done this in the past,what material was used, how hot does the tunnel get in something comparable like the S2000 to my sport 250

I fitted the light dynamat to much of the hidden side of my panels in an effort to keep the heat down and lessen the noise coming from the panels acting like a drum head. Did it work? I guess so. I did this in the initial build and have never used the car without it so I have no way to compare. That said the panels stay cool and don't resonate so my guess is that it works.

I applied it to the inside of the tunnel, the outside of the side panels, the outside of the rear bulkhead and on the underside of the floors.

I guess I would do it again but even the light stuff is heavy so if you are chasing grams you might use less. I owned a Birkin years ago and all the panels buzzed like angry bees and it drove me nuts so i wanted to prevent that and it certainly is quiet so i think it was worth it.

dave

dyna.jpg

I've got heat insulation only, part way down my trans. tunnel. Having only been on the road since last October, cockpit heat has been valued, rather than a nuisance. So not much help!

My concern would be absorbing water if you fitted something inside the tunnel, exposed to the elements. Sure owners who've taken their cars to the sun will be able to help.

The tunnel is a pain fitting to the outside, as it does make the carpet a tight fit, and limits the range of seat adjustment. If I knew then what I knew now, I’d do the tunnel from the propshaft side, my side panels aren’t done, again, cause I was retrofitting.

The big question, would I do it again on a new build? Well assuming it wasn’t a stripped to the bone track car, yes I would, in a flash.

Its made quite a big difference to heat soak through the panels, and with the roof up, it’s hardly silent,  but it does dial down some of the worst of the noise.

1 minute ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

The tunnel is a pain fitting to the outside, as it does make the carpet a tight fit, and limits the range of seat adjustment. If I knew then what I knew now, I’d do the tunnel from the propshaft side, my side panels aren’t done, again, cause I was retrofitting.

The big question, would I do it again on a new build? Well assuming it wasn’t a stripped to the bone track car, yes I would, in a flash.

Its made quite a big difference to heat soak through the panels, and with the roof up, it’s hardly silent,  but it does dial down some of the worst of the noise.

so is that the Dynaliner or the Dynamat Superlite product Dave?

Or Dynamat Hoodliner

It’s the Dynamat Superliner I used straight onto the aluminium panels, and I’d use it again, but inside the tunnel if I built another.

(Sorry, never tried the Extreme, so can’t compare).

I then put a layer of Dynaliner over the tunnel etc. I’d probably still put this inside the cockpit. It is closed cell and oil resistant, and some of their suggestions does suggest it would be safe to use inside the tunnel, my gut feeling was that it would give better results inside the cockpit.