I just found out.....

Nemesis

Soooooo this morning I got an email from my energy supplier asking for meter readings......

I've rang them and said something along the lines of "what are you pestering me for ? I've got smart meters, just read them remotely will you"

"Oh we can't do that sir........ " 

"Why not ? says I"

"We didn't install them sir.... we can't access them sir"......

Soooooo on February the 2nd I shall be having some new smart meters installed.

Is there any chance that you might spot the flaw in this initiative to install these meters.......  it's a government backed scheme right??

Rant ends.

Nem... 

• Like 1

I think the first gen aren't compatible between suppliers but the second gen are.

Because Im stubborn and for no real reason, im refusing a smart meter...

It's all a con to make you have the little display plugged in telling you how much leccy and gas you are using, whilst also adding to your leccy bill by being plugged in !

I bet the power company payback is huge once they claw that back and sell on your demographic data.

Yep,

what a waste of money, only had mine a year and now changed supplier so they say I have to have them changed as they can't read them as they are not compatible with their systems.

I have not worked out what benefit to me it is as I am capable of working out that when I use anything electric or gas it will use more power.

When this set was installed and I was given the indoor display the installer said, "when you get bored looking at it unplug it and put it in a drawer', which is where it has been ever since.

It is just adds to the overall cost - it certainly didn't change the household usage.

The only reason I got the smart meters was to try and get rid of the meter reading aggro, (but don't get me started on that one..... when was the last time you actually saw a meter reader?) that along with the ridiculous estimates and "adjustments" to my direct debit that was frequently ending up with me being hundreds of pounds in credit at the end of each year..... It's been a total waste of time and effort all round.

Nem....... 

1 hour ago, RussH said:

I think the first gen aren't compatible between suppliers but the second gen are.

Because Im stubborn and for no real reason, im refusing a smart meter...

Et moi! :rolleyes:

I too have refused one of these. quite happy to read mine and enter a few figures. It is another intrusion that will make a few richer and others unemployed. 

Just because we can do things isn't enough reason to do them.

Well they phoned up to do my'n and I stayed in 3 times and they never turned up. So when they phoned to arrange again my polite voice had dissapeared (wonder why) and my suggestion that they fit their meter where the sun doesn;t shine didn't seem to go down to well. So guess we aren't getting one any time soon. Shame that :oops::oops:

Good to see concensus is they are a waste of time.

TBH all this get connected harp, IMO is totally pointless..... eg control your heating from your phone... Just wait till the hackers get control and ramp up your heating when you’re on holiday!

hack smart meter too for that matter!

call me negative, but I seriously just don’t see the point

Smart meters are a complete waste of money - they won't agree on a standard.

What they don't tell you is that they can cut you off remotely, so if their computer or employee makes a mistake, you're in the dark

12 minutes ago, Lawrie said:

What they don't tell you is that they can cut you off remotely, so if their computer or employee makes a mistake, you're in the dark

Or we get hacked by the North koreans.