Peter (Monty)

Battery Options

Peter (Monty)

I don't want to start any fights, but what battery would people recommend? I've been thinking PC680 but it's not the cheapest.

There are a bunch of 51913-sized batteries listed here:

https://www.tayna.co.uk/51913-Motorcycle-Batteries-G83.html

The CCA ratings seem to vary a lot although I gather this is partially as different standards measure it at different temperatures, making it hard to compare like for like...

Thrustyjust

The S2000 needs a couple of revolutions for it to pick timing up, so although the 680 was great on my Zetec, which would fire on half a turn, I was thinking of what to change my lead acid one for and would probably go up a size on the 680, just for the cranking requirement.

CraigHew

Odyssey PC625 in mine.  Performs exceptionally well, not too large either.

Was about £95

RussH

This on my Duratec. Cheaper and lighter than a PC680.

Not sure how hard the S2K is too crank though, and my car has minimal ancillaries.

TableLeg
4 hours ago, Monty said:

I don't want to start any fights, but what battery would people recommend? I've been thinking PC680 but it's not the cheapest.

There are a bunch of 51913-sized batteries listed here:

https://www.tayna.co.uk/51913-Motorcycle-Batteries-G83.html

The CCA ratings seem to vary a lot although I gather this is partially as different standards measure it at different temperatures, making it hard to compare like for like...

I don't know what engine you're using but the PC680 cranks my V8 with 10:1 compression no problems.

• Like 1

Thrustyjust

PC680 or equivalents the one then :d

• Haha 1

Peter (Monty)

I went for the PC680. Does anyone use bolt-on or quick-release terminals? I'm not sure how to properly boot the positive side.

If you fit a kill switch, does that go on the positive or negative side? And is it possible to wire in a quick connect for a battery charger?

TableLeg

Hi Monty,

I made my battery cables with M6 lug ends. Battery goes direct to master switch, then from master switch to starter.

I also have a fused pair of cables direct from the battery to a 12v accessory socket. This way I can plug in my charger directly.

Edited by TableLeg
Typos

CraigHew
30 minutes ago, Monty said:

And is it possible to wire in a quick connect for a battery charger?

I've got my C-Tec quick connecter permanantly connected to my battery (via its 2 tails). It's cable tied down next to the battery tray.

CTec.JPG.10c4912743a3d089dfffbf06a3e2843e.JPG

Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO
43 minutes ago, Wilfman said:

That's not a lot of money to set your car on fire with..............potentially :p...............and your car it too nice to torch! :yes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

RussH
8 minutes ago, IanK (Bagpuss) said:

That's not a lot of money to set your car on fire with..............potentially :p...............and your car it too nice to torch! :yes:

?

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary
21 minutes ago, RussH said:

?

I wondered if it was a Lithium chemistry based battery, but looking at the link, it’s “just” an AGM.

so

?

too.

Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO
45 minutes ago, RussH said:

?

I'm challenging the cheap price!

• Haha 1

Mole

Big Chinese company..making lead acid batteries.. I couldn't see if can be mounted flat.. they have auto vent system..