Peter (Monty)

Battery Cable to Starter

Peter (Monty)

S2000 builders, do you run your positive lead to the starter along the left side of the engine bay or with the rest of the wiring around the right side? Do you know what length the cable is?

I can't find any info on this in the manuals or on the forums 

Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO

Hi Peter,  It's not really shown on the attached PDF. Are you using a factory provided kit or making your own (I assume the latter). I've not really got any pics of how my factory one is connected. Its' the chunky brown wires below. Only the starter solenoid was wired when this pic was taken. The alternator wasn't fitted and hence not wired.

IMG_2790.thumb.JPG.458b20e55cc720b207ae96c86606812c.JPG

It goes from the battery +ve to the alternator +ve and the starter +ve, all on the alternator side of the engine, It also goes to the 60A main fuse(arrowed below) which is normally fitted above the passenger footwell on the diagonal rail.

main_fuse_IMG_2691.thumb.jpg.a1353f109c766c9da1a0c5210958f968.jpg

IMG_2807.thumb.JPG.763908902c2f41a80cbbb25476248478.JPG

Don't forget you need a hefty earth from the chassis to the block also. Shown here:

IMG_2835.thumb.JPG.94cdf54e31d049ad6494b4979a561fb1.JPG

I don't appear to have pics of the cable from the positive terminal though, sorry.

Make sure you rubber boot all these +ve points as they're unfused and easy to catch a spanner on! You need them booted for IVA too.

4994 Honda S2000 Engine Harness.dwg.pdf

• Like 1

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

Yes it runs along the left hand side of the engine bay. It's very difficult to take pictures of as it's quite a crowded section of engine bay and you need to tuck it away as much as possible.

• Like 1

Peter (Monty)

Thanks both. I have the Westfield Honda harness (with the three connectors to the chassis loom) which handles the starter and alternator connections, so I believe all I need to buy is a single lead to go from battery positive to the starter motor, and a short strap for the engine block earth.

• Like 1

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

Thats it. I had mine from the factory, but they're just simple cables, nothing special.

Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO
Thrustyjust

Couple of pictures showing the battery cable before I covered in cable protector. I had mounted cable clips under the chassis rail to cable tie it up

5a5d3024e9363_85Frontofengineinchassis.thumb.jpg.42c30ffbba200980334cbf14f128e68b.jpg

5a5d30349b87d_96Clutchandthrottlecablesclipped.thumb.jpg.612152cb7079f1464a5d4ec5fe433011.jpg

• Like 1

Peter (Monty)

@Thrustyjust Such a tidy build Justin, I think I will have to copy those P-clips using the holes in the block to secure the clutch hose and throttle cable

• Thanks 1

Thrustyjust
7 hours ago, Monty said:

@Thrustyjust Such a tidy build Justin, I think I will have to copy those P-clips using the holes in the block to secure the clutch hose and throttle cable

Thanks for the compliment, mate. I tried to keep everything as tidy as possible. You can also see where I put the main fuse, out the way.

CraigHew
11 hours ago, Monty said:

Another reason why we need to see the entire build thread Justin.....!  They're great reference points for future builders and tinkerers alike...!

• Thanks 2