Westfield value

George Heighway

Hi, just bought a Westfield and was wondering what's it's worth roughly. It's a 1992 se with a 1600cc crossflow that's been bored to 1700cc with high lift cam, big valve head, twin webers, English axle, 4 speed rocket gearbox, stainless 4-1 exhaust. Has stack limiter with launch control option and has a DTA management box fitted. Very good condition and hasn't had a hard life at all, couple of marks on the to paint as you'd expect with a 25 year old car. Any input is much appreciated. Thanks 

IMG_1188.JPG

IMG_1221.JPG

IMG_1222.JPG

IMG_1224.JPG

IMG_1226.JPG

That’s a nice looking car with proper front wings

cant really help with your question but if you’ve recently purchased and are happy with what you paid then that’s all that matters. It’s really a mute point as unless speculating as an investment  by the time you enjoy, potter and add your own touch the base cost soon becomes irrelevant as you never (or very rarely) get back what you put in

so reap all the smiles you can, use her as much as you can , and most of all enjoy her as these things are priceless 

• Like 2

Ah, the impossible question!

Westfields, and other similar cars, I guess, don’t behave like regular tin tops when it comes to second hand values, condition, condition, condition and spec. are everything. Age means comparatively little. Yet they aren’t quite like classic cars either, I guess the spec from Westfield to Westfield, along with things like build quality, just vary too much for their to be proper reasonably accurate price points for different models.

Instead, you tend to get an odd pricing progress as the cars age. When nearly new they tend to be based off the new build price, adjusted for depreciation, build quality and to a lesser extent spec.

After a few years or so, they move in to a sort of glorious middle age, where they’ll have taken a fair hit over new, but don’t really vary ,ugh either. Then you get into the real golden years of early cars, like yours. Sadly though, this is where the value becomes a real guessing game.

The reality is that there is a huge mixed bag of cars this old, you could easily say an average car might be, for arguments sake £4/5000, BUT, the trouble is when you factor condition, build quality and (to a lesser extent spec) into it, that figure could easily be plus or minus £2000, so sort of becomes meaningless. 

Yours has a really nice spec from what I can see, and you say, (though the trouble with many upgrades is that while they make a car much more appealing, quite a few don’t really add much to the value, compared to their cost to buy and fit).

Condition wise, though, from the photos, looks lovely and really good. (Admittedly, photos can be deceiving), equally, the underlying build quality looks really good, too. So I’d have thought yours should be towards the upper end of the price range. (Getting to the top tends to require both an exceptional car, and some added X factor, like some exceptional history, or being a class winning race car, etc).

The really great news for you though, is that generally, as long as the car is kept in the same sort of condition it was bought in, or better, you tend to see very little more depreciation, for a long time.

- I know people that have bought cars like yours, at good, fair prices, and sold them on after three or four years for the same money.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, George Heighway said:

Hi, just bought a Westfield and was wondering what's it's worth roughly.

Well, How much did you pay for it?

16 minutes ago, CraigHew said:

Well, How much did you pay for it?

Yes that’s what it’s worth :)

I am yet to buy a Westfield and sell it 5 to 6 years later and loose any money on it all. It maybe different with the one I just built, but its not for sale currently, so not fussed.

3 minutes ago, Thrustyjust said:

I am yet to buy a Westfield and sell it 5 to 6 years later and loose any money on it all. 

Including the cost of upgrades?

24 minutes ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

Including the cost of upgrades?

Never stated that bit :laugh: Dont tell the wife either.

Cant beat buying a car though and looking after it and then selling to get zero depreciation though Chris. 

2 minutes ago, sdh2903 said:

It's worth 20 quid. I'll give you 25 so you get better than market value;)

Cool, I'll let you know when I sell it Steve :d

Aren't "what's it worth" threads supposed to be in the members section?

9 minutes ago, RussH said:

£5000

I'm sure that was just a random number.

I'm still awaiting the price paid...