Sign in to follow this  
SXRORY

Speedo Issue / Options

ok to cut a long story short my westfield runs a bicycle computer for its odometer and speedo. Its accurate (as confirmed by sat nav)  and it works well but it needs the battery changing every couple of years. 

There is a document that came with my car explaining this is quite fiddly. So the owner after this guy has found it too fiddly and has broken the mounting and then glued it in so i now can't change the battery. 

It fading on me and soon to be dead. the sensor etc all is wired in nicely to the loom and front wheel they don't make this model anymore as its so old. I thinking on buying another one of the same make snipping the wires and soldering on the new one do you think it will pulse the same as the old one or am i barking up the wrong tree. 

or any other ideas that are cheap / easy to sort

cheers 

4 minutes ago, SXRORY said:

ok to cut a long story short my westfield runs a bicycle computer for its odometer and speedo. Its accurate (as confirmed by sat nav)  and it works well but it needs the battery changing every couple of years. 

There is a document that came with my car explaining this is quite fiddly. So the owner after this guy has found it too fiddly and has broken the mounting and then glued it in so i now can't change the battery. 

It fading on me and soon to be dead. the sensor etc all is wired in nicely to the loom and front wheel they don't make this model anymore as its so old. I thinking on buying another one of the same make snipping the wires and soldering on the new one do you think it will pulse the same as the old one or am i barking up the wrong tree. 

or any other ideas that are cheap / easy to sort

cheers 

It worth a punt as they are cheap as chips. As you current one is still working, it would be worth trying to get an oscilloscope on the signal coming from the sensor so you can compare to the new one you wish to try. It would be also working out if the signal is normally high unless the sensor is by the magnet or the signal is low unless the sensor is by the magnet. 

@Kit Car Electronics any thoughts Mike?

Is there any chance you could carefully cut or dremel into the battery compartment?

You could patch in a voltage regulator to run it off the car battery so it doesn't need changing any more.

29 minutes ago, Monty said:

Is there any chance you could carefully cut or dremel into the battery compartment?

You could patch in a voltage regulator to run it off the car battery so it doesn't need changing any more.

Monty I think you're confusing me with someone that knows what they are doing? I'm "nut rounder man" 

I found one the same make for £11 that seems to do everything my one did. I'm taking a punt on that. I still might be able to get the other one ooff with some blunt force trauma but don't want to do that without a back up plan. 

1 hour ago, IanK (Bagpuss) said:

It worth a punt as they are cheap as chips. As you current one is still working, it would be worth trying to get an oscilloscope on the signal coming from the sensor so you can compare to the new one you wish to try. It would be also working out if the signal is normally high unless the sensor is by the magnet or the signal is low unless the sensor is by the magnet. 

@Kit Car Electronics any thoughts Mike?

Thanks for your help. 

More investigation seems to have sigma supply universal sensors and wires too. So would hopefully suggest they take the same reading????

Hello mate. I use a sigma bc1200 and bought a spare one last year. What make is yours?

I reckon getting another one would probably be ok. From what I researched, the sigma bc was the best and most accurate. Cannot see why it wouldn't work with your old wiring?

Mart.

• Like 1

i' ve got a bc 600. Im  going for this https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sigma-bc5-16-computer/?country_code=GB&currency=GBP&gclid=CjwKCAiA1uHSBRBUEiwAkBCtzY-gsLh7IfyK7x2abQu9kdZ8vo0v1TL5I_IosaGxQLzKZKxq56Nm2xoCZfgQAvD_BwE#pid=38034&utm_medium=cpc-none-converters

and if it goes tits up i can buy a better one 

15 minutes ago, Mighty Mart said:

Hello mate. I use a sigma bc1200 and bought a spare one last year. What make is yours?

I reckon getting another one would probably be ok. From what I researched, the sigma bc was the best and most accurate. Cannot see why it wouldn't work with your old wiring?

Mart.

@SXRORY electronics are really not my speciality either :d Thankfully there's a tonne of info online now and lots of premade components to choose from...

Here's a 99p buck converter which could step down the car 12V to presumably around 3V for your speedo box:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F263325140035

Not at all necessary but if you wanted to make it so battery changes were never needed, it wouldn't be too difficult!

Well nearly worked , I managed to separate the two bits i needed too. But he did indeed use superglue on it all, and lashings of, battery cover not coming off and now chewed right up :angry:

soooooo we shall see on the new one coming.  Now soldering that's something i have not done since school .......you tube ahoy! 

• Like 2

@SXRORY Good luck mate. Hopefully when the new one turns up, it'll work?

biggest issue is backlighting when it's dark. If we could sort that out, it would be spot on.

Mart.