A windmill and a pub lunch, Sat 13th Jan

Julie Hall - WSCC AO Representative

Meet in Sainsburys Cafe, Cawdor Way, Matlock, DE4 3SP at 10.30am. There is a petrol station and toilets there too. From there we will go to Heage Windmill and hope to get a photo in front of it. It is only about 25 minutes away. Then we will go to The Shoulder of Mutton in Osmaston, Ashbourne for lunch, which is about half hour away. Osmaston is a quintessential English village, with a duck pond, church, pub and houses with thatched roofs. Not my longest trip ever but it is challenging conditions out there, which brings me on to my warning IF THE WEATHER IS SUITABLE I WILL GO FOR THE BUXTON ICE CREAM FARM RUN but there must be no ice or snow or fog.

Anyone interested, mad or otherwise? 

Sorry Julie, we can't come out to play this weekend! :down:

Not out to play this weekend either, car still in bits. :down: 

Okey dokey, thanks for letting me know, I guess it is that time of the year, have fun and see you all next time.

With no rain, fog, low sun, ice or snow, I thought the weather was quite benign today for a change. Before we even reached Matlock, and in a long line of ordinary cars, I was the car that one of the 4 Policeman had to pull over, just to ask me what I thought the speed limit was. I confidently replied '30 mph' he had a quick look at my car and sent me on my way. 

We arrived at Heage Windmill and had our photo shoot, soon to be greeted by a sprocket of retired Rolls Royce engineers, who now volunteer there. Well, we are only 10 miles north of the big RR factory in Derby. Without delay, we were given a tour of all the workings of the windmill, even though it was officially closed, with only the shop open for flour sales. 2 of the cast gear wheels were cracked, they were discussing where to get new ones cast, and how to replace them without disrupting production too much. 

DSC02891.JPG

DSC02895.JPG

We went into the shop to buy some flour, the lady in there gave me her contact details, just in case we wanted to return with more cars, the prospect of which she was mightily excited about. 

This is the shoot that feeds the grain into the mill, actually it is a nose cone from a Rolls Royce jet engine. The end is rubber to allow it to flex and release any ice built up on the engine, when it is in a plane that is, not here.DSC02896.JPG

People make a place and these really were the most wonderful people, so full of knowledge and keen to pass it on. Next up we called to see @Trevturtle, and return his wheel brace that he had lent to us a couple of weeks ago. Like many, he is up to his neck in upgrades, and loving every minute of it.

Trevturtle.jpg

By now we were starving and we soon arrived at The Shoulder of Mutton in Osmaston, where the fire was roaring

DSC02898.JPG

and the cooks were cooking

DSC02899.JPG

Back through the Peak District to arrive home just before dark, perfect, the only improvement would be, if it was shared with friends. Hope to see you all soon.

DSC02807.JPG

• Like 4

You getting a tug by the 5 0 :( Should have let Glen drive today :yes:

Hi Julie, Becky is very upset that you’ve not taken us to this windmill before:( you know what she’s like! I’m now getting grief as to why I haven’t taken her there if there’s a windmill that close to home, take care and see you soon Andy & Becky 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

@aeg when you are back on the road and get a weekend off work, I would love to take you both to the windmill, it is not far from Ashbourne, so it can easily be incorporated into one of our runs out.

Also, when @AndrewBClarke has a weekend free we are going to Tuxford Windmill, I will let you know on that one, probably in March/April. Don't let me stop you going in the meantime though, Rebecca will love them, if you can get her away from the nail gun!!!! 

P.S @IanK (Bagpuss) please don't put the words GLEN and DRIVING in the same sentence, it frightens me :d

• Like 1
  • Haha 1