Space Saver Spare Wheel

Badger56

Hi all, I'm thinking of carrying a spare wheel on my Seight which I havent done before, I thought a space saver might be a good idea due to size weight etc, only thing is I'm not sure which donor car wheel would fit, pleanty of them on e bay but which one?

Anyone point me in the right direction?

Cheers

Dave

Its not just a spare wheel though , its a wheel brace and a scissor jack too. So, thats a lot of space taken up. Hopefully the car has the bolt bar on the back of the rear end , to bolt it in place and also the spare wheel carrier ? A pot of foam and some motorbike 'sardines' is what I currently carry and a breakdown card. 

4 minutes ago, Thrustyjust said:

Its not just a spare wheel though , its a wheel brace and a scissor jack too. So, thats a lot of space taken up. Hopefully the car has the bolt bar on the back of the rear end , to bolt it in place and also the spare wheel carrier ? A pot of foam and some motorbike 'sardines' is what I currently carry and a breakdown card. 

Agreed, I currently carry tyreweld and a small jack as a "just in case" but thought a space saver might be an option, just thinking out loud really. Thanks though.

Ford Ka spare is what I’ve got. If you look on eBay, you can pick up old Porsche aluminium jacks for not too much, if you’re concerned,

I didn’t bother with a jack at all for the first year or so of having the spare. I just figured at least the AA guy/recovery guy would actually have a wheel to fit, rather than having to put me on a low loader due to an unrepairable flat.

6 minutes ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

Ford Ka spare is what I’ve got. If you look on eBay, you can pick up old Porsche aluminium jacks for not too much, if you’re concerned,

I didn’t bother with a jack at all for the first year or so of having the spare. I just figured at least the AA guy/recovery guy would actually have a wheel to fit, rather than having to put me on a low loader due to an unrepairable flat.

Probably the same as a Focus space saver Dave ?

It could be, I’d guess all small and medium Fords with four stud wheels potentially use the same space saver? (Presuming Mondeo’s and upwards are five stud?)

I’m about to ditch my full size spare and go to a space saver type as one of my winter projects, so had a good look into it. To keep the same (or nearest to) rolling circumference/tyre height, you’ll need…

195/50-15    Ford Ka space saver rim, with original 135/80-14 space saver tyre

205/50-15    Ford Ka space saver rim, but replace tyre with a 145/80-14 standard tyre

Just be careful when fitting a space saver that the wheel studs dont end up too long and screw through the bracket behind the tub and through the petrol tank too. There's not much of a gap .

Had my spare fitted by a tyre centre and only found this out a month later when i filled my tank over half full! 

I subsequently welded a plate to the bar behind the nuts so i can't happen again.

Is a smaller steel space save much lighter than a full sized alloy?

I'm note sure my OCD could cope with the miss match.. Unless there are easily obtainable covers for them?

It looks much neater on the car, full size spares look oddly miss-proportioned on the back of the car. The standard Westfield vinyl cover fits fine.

B8772655-12E1-46B4-B6FA-A0DA354F4D14.jpeg

F01E27D5-2294-42F5-B151-8A3C06EE527E.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks as always everyone, I'm always suprised by the quality of the answers you get on here to the most random of questions :-) I know what to look for now.

Cheers

Dave