Westimia

I am just starting life in the Westfield world.  I am in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, where, it seems, there aren't a lot of Westfields (if any)!  After much consideration, (and retiring), I am finally getting around to one of those items on the list.

Getting the kit at all in Canada is a challenge.  Transport Canada does NOT like kit cars.  Happily, the North American distributor, who is in Texas, seems to know his stuff.  He provided most of the paperwork ready to submit to TC, and I have my authorization to import.  I have the donor Miata sitting in the garage awaiting teardown, and am finalizing the details of the kit order.

Does anyone have experience fitting a turbocharger on the Miata SDV build.  My donor car is already turbocharged (a bonus). Is there any problem with clearances under the bonnet?  I am hoping to use the single piece FW front end.  Any suggestions on options I should definitely consider?  This will be a road car, as there is no such thing as a track anywhere in Western Canada, let alone track days.

If anyone is nearby, I'd love to chat with someone local about the Westfield experience.

I am entirely new to forums in general; this is the first one I have ever joined, so feel free to critique my content!

• Like 1

:ww:from across the water.

This is a great place, with a huge knowledge base.

Post loads of pics and NEVER be afraid to ask a question!

mazdafield.wordpress.com (The build thread on this forum has been mostly ruined by photobucket).

Also, perhaps more relevant to you, Flyin Miata turbocharged a couple with the mazdaspeed kit. I couldn't get a mazdaspeed manifold over here so had to go custom. Might be more available in North America?

The TD04 turbo fits happily under the FW bonnet but I'm getting slight rubbing from the actuator on the VF28 so a further tweak required.

Good luck with the build and ask lots of questions!

Welcome to the club from another fellow mazda turbo westfielder. Unfortunately like dommo said most of the build threads have been wrecked by photo bucket. So lots of the build threads don't make sense without pictures. But we're a friendly bunch and plenty of info and advice don't be afraid to ask questions 

Welcome from Scotland I agree with what’s been said above put plenty of pictures and regular updates even if you’ve only done a wee bit as the learned on here can often spot  something before we do

im cracking on with my Mazda SDV build and on the last 7 had a supercharged mx5 engine 

so good luck with the build and await the updates 

:ww: to the world of Westfield ownership. This club is a great source of enthusiastic knowledge.

From personal experience would highly recommend starting a build thread (diary) on here.

Welcome! About options, the discussion in the below thread might be helpful. Does Westfield offer snow chains as a standard option? :d

2 hours ago, Monty said:

Welcome! About options, the discussion in the below thread might be helpful. Does Westfield offer snow chains as a standard option? :d

Any Westfield options for bear repellent?  Welcome and enjoy the build.

Wishing you and your family a very merry Christmas and a happy and healthy 2018.

• Haha 1

Welcome to the adventure, I'd echo the comments here, fantastic group of people with a wealth of knowledge.

If at the starting stage I'd advice to work out what you want the car to do for you, and if you can afford it, get all the options you might think you might want up-front, like LSD.  I took a long time to work out what options I wanted, with advice from the forum before I placed my order with WF.

For me it has been a life changing event as it has got me off my A*** playing computer games all the time, and I hope you will find it as rewarding.

Did you have in mind what you are going to use the car for, track or just road use?

Lots of build threads on here will give you insperation

:ww:

Don't forget options aren't quite the same for the mazda sdv. Like an lsd from the factory as it comes out of the donor car. So do all the uprights. Brakes and drive shafts. The only real choices you have are rollbars body style upfront as the fw rear doesn't fit the mazda diff easily it can be done though.