zei220

1.3 xflow in the eleven?

Asking how much an engine costs to build is like the proverbial question of how long is a piece of string? There is always something extra you can do if you want and can afford it. But I can tell you that a totally rebuilt engine by Peter May, built to fast road spec, target max. power of 110 bhp and max revs of 7,500 rpm.and built fairly much money no object came out at about £6,500 including vat and most of the engine ancilliaries.

Oh, and you may be surprised to know that only about £500 plus vat was the labour cost in that figure. It is surprising how the component parts costs add up.

On 27/01/2018 at 08:58, stephenh said:

Asking how much an engine costs to build is like the proverbial question of how long is a piece of string? There is always something extra you can do if you want and can afford it. But I can tell you that a totally rebuilt engine by Peter May, built to fast road spec, target max. power of 110 bhp and max revs of 7,500 rpm.and built fairly much money no object came out at about £6,500 including vat and most of the engine ancilliaries.

Stephen,

IIRC you were talking to Swifttune about fabricating a shallower sump. Did you ever get it and, if so, how much extra clearance does it give and would you recommend it?

On the rebuild cost mine was about £5,000 - 1380cc, Powermax pistons, lightened, balanced, ported, unleaded, A+ inlet valves, lots of MED goodies, ARP bolts/studs, WOSP starter, Denso alternator and Megajolt ECU. This excludes the fuel system which was another ~£600.

Jon

I did get a shallow sump, via Peter May, but made by Swift tune. The cost is included in my total for the engine.

It is surprising how the cost of building an engine to a high spec can add up. For example I must have about £300 worth of arp bolts, studs and nuts in my engine.

Also included in my figure is £315 plus vat for a new 45 DCOE, and £225.90 plus vat for a new Aldon distributor mapped for the camshaft.

My head was £745 plus vat included in that figure, with 35mm. inlet valves and 30mm. exhaust. Rally clutch ££274 plus vat, Omega pistons, £275 plus vat and so it goes on, and adds up.