Adge Cutler- Dorset AO

Battery Optimiser Socket

Adge Cutler- Dorset AO

Looking to fit 12v socket on my Sport 250 to make it easy to connect battery charger/optimiser (max output 1A). Considering a "lazy way" of connecting socket to aux. (Purple and black) permanently live connectors on the dash loom. Any thoughts, suggestions or words of wisdom on doing this gratefully received. Don't want to do anything that could put vehicle electronics at risk, thanks.

CraigHew

As an alternative I've used the C-tec kit which provides a pair of fly leads connected to the battery, covered by a rubber stopper, with the charging unit placed strategically on the garage wall it's a simple case of pushing car into place, throwing the (extended) lead under the car and connecting. takes less than 10 seconds.

• Like 1

Adge Cutler- Dorset AO
11 minutes ago, CraigHew said:

As an alternative I've used the C-tec kit which provides a pair of fly leads connected to the battery, covered by a rubber stopper, with the charging unit placed strategically on the garage wall it's a simple case of pushing car into place, throwing the (extended) lead under the car and connecting. takes less than 10 seconds.

I've got a similar set of flying leads which can be connected direct to the battery, Not very long though. Can You access yours "through" the  front suspension?  Trying to avoid having to remove the bonnet every time I connect the charger. Willing to consider all options though.

CraigHew
2 minutes ago, AdgeC said:

I've got a similar set of flying leads which can be connected direct to the battery, Not very long though. Can You access yours "through" the  front suspension?  Trying to avoid having to remove the bonnet every time I connect the charger. Willing to consider all options though.

I fitted mine centrally which means although I can reach in through the suspension area it's much much easier with the bonnet off for a few seconds.  If that's a deal-breaker then you could look to locate the connector piece to one side for easier access.  As mentioned, I needed the C-tec extension lead to reach under the car.

• Like 1

Lyonspride

As long as the charger is designed or specified for use without battery disconnect and never tries to charge at over around 14.4v, then you have no worries.

Personally i've lost faith in these things, since both my CTEKs have decided to overcharge to voltages they shouldn't even be charging to.

12 minutes ago, CraigHew said:

I fitted mine centrally which means although I can reach in through the suspension area it's much much easier with the bonnet off for a few seconds.  If that's a deal-breaker then you could look to locate the connector piece to one side for easier access.  As mentioned, I needed the C-tec extension lead to reach under the car.

To be honest I refuse to buy one and extended mine myself, my XS3600 came with a longer lead, the MX5.0 came with a lead too short to be any use. So I refuse to buy one on principle that they know they're supplying something where you'll be forced to pay extra to actually use it.

• Like 1

Adge Cutler- Dorset AO

@CraigHew & @LyonsprideThanks for your advice, I've got an Optimate 4, which worked well on our MX5 for several years. The lead from the charge unit is a decent length. Think I'll look again at the option of where I can sensibly tie the fly leads if directly connected to the battery. Could extend the leads if necessary I guess. Blooming cold in the garage this morning though, being a southern softie, keep popping back in to warm up!

Thrustyjust

I just put a power point under the dash on the passenger side. Then used the permanent supply cable. It then get used for the optimiser when sitting there and satnav when on the road.

• Like 1

CraigHew
1 minute ago, Thrustyjust said:

I just put a power point under the dash on the passenger side. Then used the permanent supply cable. It then get used for the optimiser when sitting there and satnav when on the road.

I too have a power point in the same position. I must admit, I chose the fly lead method as I've a battery isolator fitted. I isolate the battery whenever the car is pushed into the garage simply for additional security but also to reduce the fire risk if the charger or battery goes tits-up...

• Like 1

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

Likewise, I’ve got a power socket in the cockpit for sat nav, phone etc. but use Optimate’s wired in flying lead set, attached to the battery. The rubber booted and capped charging socket is tie wrapped to the chassis down tube just in front of the rear most lower wishbone mount. You can easily reach in to attach the charging lead, without removing any body panels, or (as mine is stored outside, the roof and sidescreens.

• Like 1

Stuart

If you have a ducted nose then run it through the hole for the fan cables into the duct.  That's where mine is on a fused spur from the battery.  Easily accessible.

• Like 1

corsechris

I fitted one of the Ctek flying leads on ours a while back. Routed the free socket so it pops out by the left front wheel. It’s tied to the chassis tubes so it can’t dangle or catch in the event it falls off, but normally it is gripped by a strap of Velcro wrapped round it with a patch of Velcro tucked up behind the bodywork and stuck to the chassis tube.

Sounds complicated but very simple really and has worked fine for a good few years.  I’ve bought one of the panel mounted sockets for the other build and that will sit on the dash somewhere. Didn’t want to do that option on the Westy as for long term parking, it always has a soft dust cover on it, and even short term, always has either roof or tonneau fitted.

• Like 1

Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO
Adge Cutler- Dorset AO

Thanks for all the advice. Think I'll pursue both options ie. Optimate fly lead direct to battery and connect socket under dash to permanent live.

Plus leave USB socket connected to switched live, to hopefully prevent me flattening the battery with satnag/phone!

• Like 1

Thrustyjust

I have a mrs too Adge , called the 'Satnag' :d

• Haha 3