corsechris

Non-Westfield build

corsechris

It's a right bl**** clutter really, but I'm hoping to tone it down a bit with appropriate colours on the panels and chassis. Still, not like it'll get opened all that often I imagine. My main challenge  is to try and make the engine compartment look OK. Might resort to some modesty covers to hide the worst of the plumbing and wiring. Main down-side to using the donor car electrical systems is the bulk. A home-brew loom could have been much tidier. A digi-dash would have helped in other ways too, but hey ho, committed now. A budget no object build would have had a decent digital dash, a Freewheel for all the switch functions and an aftermarket ECU on a tuned (likely supercharged) engine. I keep having to remind myself this was supposed to be a cheap-as-sensibly-possible build.

• Like 2

Rich201060
7 hours ago, corsechris said:

It's a right bl**** clutter really, but I'm hoping to tone it down a bit with appropriate colours on the panels and chassis. Still, not like it'll get opened all that often I imagine. My main challenge  is to try and make the engine compartment look OK. Might resort to some modesty covers to hide the worst of the plumbing and wiring. Main down-side to using the donor car electrical systems is the bulk. A home-brew loom could have been much tidier. A digi-dash would have helped in other ways too, but hey ho, committed now. A budget no object build would have had a decent digital dash, a Freewheel for all the switch functions and an aftermarket ECU on a tuned (likely supercharged) engine. I keep having to remind myself this was supposed to be a cheap-as-sensibly-possible build.

Been following this with interest and I think what you've achieved is a real professional job, the finish is second to none.

corsechris

Very kind of you to say that Rich, but best reserve judgement until you see it in the metal ;)

Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO
12 hours ago, corsechris said:

Very kind of you to say that Rich, but best reserve judgement until you see it in the metal ;)

I think you are judging yourself too harshly Chris - this build is seriously impressive on many levels. 

• Like 3

corsechris

Well, the last two session have been almost entirely given over to CAD. CAD of the dead tree carcass variety to steal a phrase. Having run out of big enough offcuts of the right material to complete the front air duct panels I decided to concentrate on the large rear panels and hope to end up with enough spare material to get back to the front panels...IYSWIM.

So, after much fiddling and faffing, I got to here. This was with the wheel at full bump, minus squish on the bump rubber of course, the black marker outline s roughly where the arch will go.

2033591232_fullbumpnoarch.jpeg.b58819b3064690f9e293cafafbb18a34.jpeg

And here with the arch roughly placed. It might want to come up a bit from here, I'll decide once I see how it looks with the wheel at normal ride height.

491910203_fullbump.jpeg.7466ce433ee572ad47e7950a4f6a3fec.jpeg

And this is with the profile of the rear edge tweaked a bit, it still needs some more tweaking to tidy the rear edge around where it dives forwards. It's close to what I plan on though.

1115709018_revisedrearprofile.jpeg.dc8502fb6e5257fd927902a0db13eee1.jpeg

On the bottom right of this last picture, you can see a couple of magnets I used to hold it in place and they define where the curved lower rear chassis tube goes. The bit of panel behind this will be unsupported, but I think it needs this extra bit or the arch will be too close to the back end of the car, visually speaking.  Thoughts & opinions welcome.

Not a great picture, but this is what's behind the cardboard. I've brought the profile about 25mm back from the rear edges of the smaller vertical and horizontal tubes and will weld some 7mm round bar to the edge to soften it. The alternative would be to cut the panel tight to the tubes and maybe put some piping or similar on the joints to make them IVA compliant. I think the round bar will look better and it'll add a bit of stiffness anyway. Also, I kind of like the idea of the recessed rear panel it'll give. Having the sides extend slightly beyond and with the curved up rear panel it'll form something vaguely diffuser-ish....for whatever that'll be worth!

546586123_Rearbodyworksupportstructure.jpeg.e253ef3cd8392411286a3e730056dece.jpeg

Keen to get back to cutting metal, I took the plunge having made these two templates, which are pretty close to right, and marked out two sets on aluminium sheets. Apart from a few odd shaped offcuts, this took an entire 8' x 4' sheet, leaving me part of the last one I have left to make the engine cover, with just enough left over for one mistake.....no pressure. Yes, I did remember to flip them over so the good surface will be on the outside of all the parts :)

• Like 6

corsechris

Not a lot to show for the effort & angst...but one panel on the way. It seems to fit tolerably well so far, although the curve at the top isn't perfect so needs some 'help' to sit right. It's not too far off though, so I might live with it as-is rather than risk stuffing it up by trying to improve it.  The roughly drawn circles are marks to show some panel damage from delivery - managed to make sure these will be under the wheel arch/behind the wheel so won't be a problem. I've done my best to tidy them anyway.

2138076099_1ststep.jpeg.94296e95d91982d372755c3d708fc24d.jpeg

Bottom edge is oversize at the moment, concentrating on getting it placed properly at this stage - I reckon the line of Clecos will do it......

I'll work my way up & around the curved tubes to the top with some more fixings, then I can accurately mark where I need to put a 90 degree bend in to form the edge.

1398441669_anotherviewleftrearsidepanel.jpeg.f68a1f0c15ead0aa9365d146964226e2.jpeg

• Like 4

corsechris

Two more shed sessions with very little to show for it apparently....

1053989373_finishedpanel.jpeg.64b611eee841c1ae49a6038f0550030e.jpeg

Although it looks pretty much the same as at close of play Friday, a lot of time has gone into it, not least because some numpty put some holes in the wrong place so had to move them along a bit. Evidenced by the stripped off protective film and hint of filler. I welded up the incorrectly placed holes, ground back the excess and put a light skim of filler over the top. Came out well, considering, and I haven't even distorted the lovingly crafted curve either, which was nice.

Having sorted that SNAFU, I then very carefully marked the location for a 90 degree bend along the top edge to form a lip that sits tight to the longitudinal tube that forms the boundary for the engine bay opening. Must have got that bit right as it came out bang-on.

Today was trimming the bottom edge accurately then marking and drilling the row of fixing holes along the bottom, which competes this panel for now. I then moved to finessing the template for the next panel, working to this panel as reference. Completed that and made a start on cutting it out in metal. Not quite finished that, but I predict another couple of sessions will be needed to complete it.

I may need to add an extra bit of structure where the panels meet around the curve. Happy enough with them elsewhere, but unless I can get the next panel to bend exactly the same as this one, it'll need some help.  I was wondering if I could find some sort of suitable aluminium extrusion that would do that - kind of a miniature carpet threshold strip IYSWIM. I briefly thought about putting a joggle on the overlap but I really don't think I could get it accurate enough around a curve. The simple alternative is a backing piece with two rows of rivets, but I don't fancy that.

• Like 2

AdgeC

Great work as ever. Could you 3D print something on the lines of a miniature threshold strip to act as a support for the panel join?

corsechris

Oddly, I hadn’t thought of a 3D print! On reflection, I don’t think it would have sufficient strength using the materials I have available to me, sadly, as that would be a good solution. I might try printing something in PETG as a test though, as that is pretty tough and a bit flexible. For strength, it would want to be printed vertically but I think it would be too small a cross section for that to work. Simple enough to try though, so thanks for that thought.

I’ve had a more conventional suggestion I can probably make work. Effectively, fabricate a joggle with a strip welded to one piece. I reckon I could drill big-ish holes in the strip and plug weld it to the back of one panel without causing too much distortion on the outer face. Depending on how good the fit was, I might even get away without any further fixings, or at worst, a single line of rivets.

• Like 2

nice_guy

I gave a bit of thought to your need, and I'm pretty sure something exists somewhere at a supplier. Either in rubbery form or heat formable synthetic material.

Something extruded with such a profile :

image.png.d85cf8ae664bce0b8e1b531acd35a208.png

A bit of a dive in industrial supplies catalog of some sort.

Or maybe something with a grove that would accept a screw head to slide along on the hidden face so you could secure it on both panels.

Come to think of it, bonding a strip across the panels on the inner face with a few countersunk / aero rivets would be my choice, but I crave the DC3/bugatti atlantique look.

corsechris

All ideas gratefully received!

Made a bit of progress on it today, went better/quicker than anticipated really. That said, I lost count of how many times I fitted, checked, removed, tweaked, re-fitted.

Added some more fixings to the previous panel along the way to help stabilise it and formed the next panel. Only a few fixings in so far, but it looks promising.

I'm contemplating a minor mod to the panels above/around the suspension where they meet under the wheel arch (when it's fitted). Thinking I might make a bigger cutout to give better access to the damper for ride height adjustments mainly, then make an infill piece that bridges across both panels. Need to double check where the chassis tubes are first, but it'll be worth doing if there is room I think. I've been concentrating on getting the top curves as accurate as I can so there's still some final cutting/trimming to do down at the bottom, but that's simple and best done last anyway.

1022027776_leftrearalmostdone.jpeg.1f114c7466117a5ef331eec10c40de3f.jpeg

The join line between the two panels came out pretty well after some careful massaging of the metal. I think probably the simple solution of a strip welded onto the back on one part for stability and just rely on getting the shape right is the way to go. It's only a short section where it'll be 'free', so I think that will work. I can always add rivets later if need be. Hard to tell from this picture, but the joint is almost perfect even without support, although I do expect it to wander about a bit as I fix more of the panel down.  I did design and print a small test piece for jointing but I'm just not confident it would be robust enough without making it pretty bulky.

875351794_paneljoin.jpeg.9effbfb976524473c094851bfb9bd661.jpeg

And the view looking forward. The return forms the edge of the engine bay aperture and will be riveted to the tube underneath. Pretty happy with how this is turning out so far. Just hope I can repeat this on the other side.

916802746_viewfromrear.jpeg.f1a8fe4e321e73a01cc36287eda871f1.jpeg

Once this panel is fully fixed and fettled, I reckon it'll be time to decide the final location for the arch, which I'm looking forward to as it'll mean I can then get a real idea of how it's gong to look when completed.

• Like 1