Kevin (Mr T) -  Essex AO

Crossflow to Sigma Conversion

This one is going to be a bit of a slow burner, as I have no intention of pulling the crossflow out before Stoneleigh. But things have started to happen and I need to keep a record.

After checking out Ebay and various classifieds for not very long, I found a 2002 Puma 1.7 with a genuine 68,000 miles on the clock. It was an MOT failure with the usual Puma rust issues and didn't make too big a hole in the bank account.

With the help of Dean @DE04*, it was collected last week and driven to it's final resting place, in front of Mike's @Kit Car Electronics abode. A big thanks to both for indulging me.

20171126_100239.thumb.jpg.1183516fc54c81b6d3264d4e0612cbb1.jpg

The car is horrible! It's tatty, smelly and absolutely filthy, but the engine starts and runs like a dream.

That was this morning, cold start after four days and, sadly, the last time it will turn over for some time!

By the end of the day, various bits and pieces had been removed to make space around the engine. Then the throttle body, inlet manifold, cam cover, fuel rail and AC pump were all taken off and pretty much every hose and connector removed, ready to pull the engine (or drop it, as seems to be the wisdom).

20171202_144013.thumb.jpg.7a5b65e71a05302aab770585effe9e91.jpg

I am about to start trawling the Google in an effort to ascertain if it is possible to separate the engine from the bellhousing and lift it out, or if dropping the engine, bellhousing and gearbox in one piece is the way to go. If anyone has any thoughts, I would be happy to hear.

• Like 2

Saw this over on a Puma forum...

"just disconnect all the electrics, water pipes, power steering and aircon, remove the exhaust and undo the engine mounts - remove drive shafts and the engine and box can come out in one- as previously stated, remove the radiator for extra access"

there’s a more satisfying way.   Use a grinder and cut the drive shafts.   Then with a bigger grinder cut it down from each headlight and just drag the whole lump out the front.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, DamperMan said:

there’s a more satisfying way.   Use a grinder and cut the drive shafts.   Then with a bigger grinder cut it down from each headlight and just drag the whole lump out the front.  

I believe it’s obligatory to film for YouTube if using this method! :laugh: :yes:

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, DamperMan said:

Well it's not going to be quite this brutal, but I am sorting out suitable cutting discs ready for the next day on the job.

Had help form Mike today and only the driveshafts, a very stubborn exhaust manifold and the power steering pump are preventing the engine coming out, although it is now resting on the ground (not exactly the plan and only discovered when trying to push the Puma back to it's hiding place :bangshead:)

Bad light stopped play and work now intervenes.

• Like 2

Hi , I have done the Pre- Lit Crossflow to Sigma  modification. Have a set of Sigma engine mounts , bellhousing and new exhaust manifold if you are interested.

Please PM  Neil .

2 hours ago, NDS said:

Hi , I have done the Pre- Lit Crossflow to Sigma  modification. Have a set of Sigma engine mounts , bellhousing and new exhaust manifold if you are interested.

Please PM  Neil .

PM sent

Today gave a whole new meaning to "cold start", but it had to be done

Cold_Start.thumb.jpg.5561b2c69b366dc50e4cd48a765c0997.jpg

It was dark when the "engine on the ground" incident occurred. In daylight, is was apparent just how far out of position, and wedged, it was

Grounded.thumb.jpg.5dc1106defd62de75b4ae4db6e3ee7fc.jpg

However, after liberal use of expletives, one sliced knuckle and considerable help again from Mike, the little devil is out

5a2c402245450_EngineOut.thumb.jpg.2074fad5adeb00d97e4739b355aa10ad.jpg

That's the easy bit done. Next thing is to get it on the engine stand and give it a good wash and brush up.

• Like 3

Nice to see the Sigma with most of the unwanted bits removed, ready for a good clean up...

20171214_185322.thumb.jpg.2b7f36477e3c74bbab0736dff7ada9ba.jpg

The remains of the donor is off to be recycled tomorrow, with an awful lot of the mechanicals on the back seat!

20171214_185214.thumb.jpg.55e18320ab8c036e858a665500f98389.jpg

• Like 6

I said this would be a slow burner, but the plan is to pull the xflow out at the beginning of September and crack on with the conversion. That way, I should be back on the road by Spring!

The engine is now on the stand and I have started to clean it up.

Next job will be a coat of paint. I know there are a few threads on painting engines, but I would appreciate any recommendations for a aluminium block?

I used POR15 engine enamel on my duratec block. This was the result after 2 coats brush painted. 

20180318_174727.thumb.jpg.ed75ed75824d04b0e68f9657af6f9971.jpg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, neptune said:

I used POR15 engine enamel on my duratec block. This was the result after 2 coats brush painted. 

20180318_174727.thumb.jpg.ed75ed75824d04b0e68f9657af6f9971.jpg

Thansk.

Was that just the engine enamal, no prep coat of any sort?

2 hours ago, Kevin (Mr T) - Essex AO said:

Thansk.

Was that just the engine enamal, no prep coat of any sort?

I just cleaned the engine with POR15 degreaser  and then the metal prep solution. I'm not convinced the prep is needed on aluminium especially when it is such a rough surface as the engine casting, but I didn't want it peeling and i've always had really good long term results with POR15 products when i've followed the 3 stage process. 

• Like 2