DRIVERLESS CARS

Terry Everall

Having heard that the govt budget is further investing in driverless cars I wonder what the benefits are? We have people needing to use food banks and long NHS lists etc

Seems a waste of money to me

I too don't get the whole driverless concept. Apart from getting driven home from the pub, oh wait you still need a human (presumably none drunk) in case of emergency:rolleyes:

But. With all the big tech companies ploughing obscene amounts of cash into the technology there must be something in it?

Unless it's all a big con along the lines of Delorian 

It will be interesting to see how the insurance premiums fare.

There is a fairly universal opinion that driverless cars will get bullied a lot by drivers taking advantage of the collision avoidance systems.

But also, when (for example) a driverless car is in lane 2 of a dual carriageway and lane 1 is backed up in a queue, the driverless car should follow the highway code, continue in lane 2 and then attempt to zip merge, which we all know is likely to cause road rage.

I don't think the mentality of the driving public is ready to handle driverless cars.

28 minutes ago, sdh2903 said:

I too don't get the whole driverless concept. Apart from getting driven home from the pub, oh wait you still need a human (presumably none drunk) in case of emergency:rolleyes:

But. With all the big tech companies ploughing obscene amounts of cash into the technology there must be something in it?

Unless it's all a big con along the lines of Delorian 

Voice recognition cannot understand my voice even saying something as simple as 'direct debit' and that's when sober so imagine trying to direct a robot taxi after a skin full.

Just for clarity you mean the old Thatcher era, heavily state-subsidised, Delorean company and not the new one started January 2016.

2 hours ago, Stuart said:

Brilliant!

interesting point about Insurance, or more who’s liable when the inevitable accident happens. Which driverless car, or should I say driverless car manufacturer is at fault. Going to see a lot more of no win no fee solicitors imo. 

It’s just a vanity project.. no one has asked the customer (us) if we want it.      

I can see it might have appeal in three areas

1) the young that haven't learnt to drive yet and maybe won't need to

2) the old that can perhaps no longer safely drive

3) those that would rather, on occasion, use their time more productively than drive .  e.g. in traffic commuting.

I still see huge problems to overcome.

The solution this technology has already been found for most people.... it’s called public transport or a taxi.  These things will only add to road congestion.   I just do not get it...   I’d rather driverless planes, trains,    Etc.   But the unions have that tied up.   

But what happens once you leave the urban environment, with it's well lit,  well defined lanes, cats eyes and painted road edges and venture into the countryside? 

2 hours ago, Madrabbit said:

But what happens once you leave the urban environment, with it's well lit,  well defined lanes, cats eyes and painted road edges and venture into the countryside? 

The inevitable.

4 hours ago, Madrabbit said:

Well they certainly wouldn't slam on the anchors every time another car came the opposite way on a road wide enough to fit two Challenger 2's side by side, so that's a positive thing :p

I had a hire car recently with the intelligent cruise control designed to always keep you at safe distance.  It was an absolute PITA