Rich201060

Rich's S2000 Build

Ok Here goes,

Brief summary for those that don't know already.

Decided to build a Westfield after much deliberation and Cobra envy(Cant afford one). 

Acquired an Engine 2003 . I went to see it running sounded ok, once home and got it out the van(God they are heavy). I didn't have a hoist at this point so after an hour of head scratching me and my brother dragged it out the van inch by in onto some old worktop(see never throw anything away). Eventually we inched into the garage (now I know how they built the Pyramids )

Engine100617.thumb.JPG.60c8a646c1119a2da766a9ad6d87d11f.JPG

After studying the various blogs and blatantly stealing ideas , I decide on a course of action. As the compression test was good just a clean up, paint, replace seals/ gaskets from anything removed, new clutch and slave cylinder.

IMG_1441.thumb.JPG.43bf511d409e840e88c0963d808890ef.JPG

What a fabulous engine!

After lot of Cleaning I used POR15 metal Prep and POR15 Engine Enamel.(Idea from Ians blog) I would offer one tip if the surface is too polished its hard to paint the gearbox came out looking better than the sump. If I did it again I would probably get the sump powder coated.

IMG_1606.thumb.JPG.2e31febbdb0c10daf880e0230a100d70.JPG

Speaking of sumps I added a baffle plate .

More to Come ..............

• Like 1

I assume the new clutch cylinder will have the delay valve in it. I'd therefore suggest you remove it.

We like build threads :)

A few Images of the Painted Engine/Gearbox

IMG_1631.thumb.JPG.7a1159ec8c380b73893529d0b7ef00c9.JPGIMG_1630.thumb.JPG.668db577c862cc9529547101e61951d1.JPG

You will notice the Cam cover is painted, I used VHT Wrinkle Plus, however Im not happy with it. Ive decided to powder coat the chassis panels myself(not westfield) so will get this done then. I realise I will need to remove the inner plates.

I purchased all my seals and gaskets from Coxs motors as have others, I have to say they are brilliant but phone them or email their website is poor.

5a0c85d31f2f5_ScreenShot2017-11-15at17_20_34.thumb.png.e50517a4629127e70408dea53dde038d.png

Ouch!

And add a clutch to that .Still if your kid needed new shoes ? 

• Like 1

During the Engine Preparation I have :

Set the Valve clearances best to do this while you have easy access.

I have the honda 2000 service manual which is great but not searchable as its been scanned in, let me know if you want a copy.

Re- sealed the sump using Three bond 1215 

Removed the Air Con and bought a shorter Belt Dayco 6pk 1137

Removed the engine loom and cut the green Alternation plug of (leave the wires a decent length to splice it into the westfield loom) 

Got this from westfield 

P1020310.thumb.JPG.b0e0f5b0b5c1c1d9e8b72512137198aa.JPG

I am currently reasembling everything, I have made a crude clutch alignment tool if any ones interested,:

25mm bar turned down to 19.8mm for the flywheel centre bearing and 23.8mm for the clutch disk.

P1020308.thumb.JPG.8becb8d5b7dc70bb36fa965c63c949bf.JPGP1020309.thumb.JPG.edc0e39ac6517915ed46c3b2f289a75c.JPG

Don't forget to apply high temperature grease to the release  bearing groove and pressure plate fingers + splines5a0c8f35d666a_ScreenShot2017-11-15at19_00_55.thumb.png.69b3cc4de806be1357684e62265bdeee.png

I would recommend using the Honda brand of grease as this gets ..... hot Coxs do an offer if you buy a clutch from them. 

http://www.coxmotorparts.co.uk/genuine-honda-super-hi-temp-urea-grease-50g-p-5996.html

Edited by Rich201060
missed info
  • Like 1

So my plans now until I pick my kit up end of Jan Early Feb are:

Finish the Engine and move it to my sisters garage

Have a good tidy up, this may involve throwing some things away !

I will add to this but there won't be much till I pick the kit up 

Rich

13 hours ago, IanK (Bagpuss) said:

I assume the new clutch cylinder will have the delay valve in it. I'd therefore suggest you remove it.

We like build threads :)

Is the delay valve in the in the port do you know, I assumed the one I ordered wouldn’t have it but now I’m uncertain. 

58 minutes ago, Rich201060 said:

Is the delay valve in the in the port do you know, I assumed the one I ordered wouldn’t have it but now I’m uncertain. 

I'd like to say it's quick and easy to check! The circlip holding it in is a pig to remove! I tried on and off for over a month and a few mechanically minded friends failed too! I broke picks trying to get it out. In the end I drilled a very small hole from the outside to enable me to push the circlip out. There should be pics in my build thread. Let me know if you can't find them.

1 hour ago, Rich201060 said:

Thanks ian I will have a look tonight 

This is a more 'extreme' way than mine of getting it out, but some good pics! 

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-under-hood-22/diy-ap2-clutch-delay-valve-snap-ring-removal-789870/

6 minutes ago, Rich201060 said:

That 'looks' like it won't have one fitted, but I'd still be whipping it out just to check! It will keep you busy whilst waiting for your kit :p

• Haha 1

Wont take 30 seconds for that to dismantle. Same as mine and no valve fitted in there. I stripped and derusted mine and painted it , so you will find a piston, spring and a rod inside it .