MrMgoo

FW special edition 2017 new build from a new member

MrMgoo
17 minutes ago, Rich201060 said:

Start by checking the fuses for the heater, sounds like you may have shorted something. I take you've had the engine running previously ?

Yep. Had the engine running a couple of months ago. Had a rest  and back on it this week. The only thing I've done is attach the silencer and fit the sambda

Rich201060
23 minutes ago, MrMgoo said:

Yep. Had the engine running a couple of months ago. Had a rest  and back on it this week. The only thing I've done is attach the silencer and fit the sambda

Could be fuel if its been stood a while, try priming it a few  and get a full charge on the battery.

• Like 1

Thrustyjust

Lambda shouldnt stop the engine running. It will initially heat up on start up and takes a few minutes to then start controlling fueling. But to confirm that it isnt the issue, then disconnect the lambda plug and try again.

• Like 2

Nick Mace
14 hours ago, MrMgoo said:

Lambda fitted to silencer and connected to loom.

• now engine WONT start ! Back firing through air filter

Check that you haven't blown one of the blanking plugs off the intake manifold.  Mine backfired and did that and it took me ages to work out what the problem was.  I put jubilee clips on them after that.

• Like 1

MrMgoo

Both problems solved ... fuse replaced and ran out of petrol.

MrMgoo

Leads me to list of activities to complete. 

1. Oil pressure gauge showing very high? 
  2. fuel gauge show full when it was empty. Hoping the sensor is stuck and will free itself when I take it out!
  3. heater is on when switch says it should be off ... don't want to swap the wires as this caused the fuse to blow ... any ideas?
  4. secure the boot box ... I'll pop rivet it in.
  5. fit the spats and brackets for the headlights 
  6. fit the windscreen and associated bits
  7. Fit bonnet catches.
  8. fit elbow pads
  9. fit under skuttle panels

then hopefully put in for IVA

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

I wouldn’t rivet the boot box in, they’re handy to be able to remove for some service jobs. Plus very occasionally, an IVA inspector will ask you to take it out so he can examine the fuel tank wiring (ground) etc.

(Though in the latter case, they’re often mollified by good “in-build” photos that show the relevant details.)

• Like 2

Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO
1 hour ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

wouldn’t rivet the boot box in,

Totally agree with Dave no way I’d rivet it in!

You can use rivnuts if you really feel the need - but I used the rubber motorcycle fairing/screen fasteners. 

• Like 2

Adge Cutler- Dorset AO

Stupid question, but any chance the heater switch is in upside down.? No of course not!

MrMgoo
2 hours ago, AdgeC said:

Stupid question, but any chance the heater switch is in upside down.? No of course not!

I've been told there are no stupid questions otherwise my posts would be held up as examples. Unfortunately the switch isn't upside down. I'll take some pictures tomorrow

Adge Cutler- Dorset AO

Have you checked the switch is ok with a meter? Stranger things have happened!

MrMgoo
On 20/01/2019 at 21:20, AdgeC said:

Have you checked the switch is ok with a meter? Stranger things have happened!

All in the correct way ...

299995375_image1(2).thumb.JPG.515fe99f10f999cb2cab04b7ba2accb8.JPG

1519279524_image3(1).thumb.JPG.617e819acbd0972d005b7e7562753eab.JPG

I'm thinking they may of put the cables into the connector wrong way round .. I'll see if I can find a manual for the heater and double check.

1126887809_image2(2).thumb.JPG.c3f2a912d41104855885be7dfc015909.JPG

MrMgoo

I was putting the bonnet clips on last night. Bonnet was fine as I'd fashioned a metal plate for the pop rivets to bite onto. However suddenly realised that I've secured the side panel to the car so cant get behind it to place another plate on ... suppose a could fashion a long plate ... any other ideas?  image4.thumb.JPG.01bca7a092e1eb2769924121978ee8aa.JPG

MrMgoo

Whilst scratching my head about the bonnet hooks I also put the windscreen in place to see ho wit fitted and also to use the measurements Westfield had supplied. As I've got the taller windscreen they said 92 cms instead of the manuals guidance. Windscreen doesn't look upright enough. Anyone else got the large windscreen and can confirm the measurements? 

Adge Cutler- Dorset AO
1 hour ago, MrMgoo said:

I was putting the bonnet clips on last night. Bonnet was fine as I'd fashioned a metal plate for the pop rivets to bite onto. However suddenly realised that I've secured the side panel to the car so cant get behind it to place another plate on ... suppose a could fashion a long plate ... any other ideas?  image4.thumb.JPG.01bca7a092e1eb2769924121978ee8aa.JPG

I bought some "peel rivets" for fitting the bonnet catch plus hood studs. They are designed for material like grp, and literally peel out and spread the load over the grp without stressing it. Photo of the back of some below, when I was experimenting:

image.thumb.jpeg.06410a404eefdb23faaba62813e796cf.jpeg

Think Ive got some wiring diagrams, I'll dig them out and send them to you.

Wrt screen angle, I'll look back through my build thread. Advice I was given though was to offer up sidescreens to help get windscreen angle.

• Like 1