MrMgoo

FW special edition 2017 new build from a new member

MrMgoo

Hello Everyone,

Hope you are all well and looking forward to helping me with my many questions that will surely be posted over the coming months , but hopefully not Years.

My name is Mark and have been looking to build my own kit for decades, but due to financial and time constraints have never really got it off the ground. The kids have finally left the nest , so no more running around after them and for some unknown reason the finances also look better. My mechanic skills are limited,  changed brakes, differentials, universal joints and even repaired a wiring loom for my Spitfire after it had a bit of an electrical fire.

We've gone for the FW special Edition over three modules mainly because I didn't want to strip a SDV and I don't have the space available to store everything during the build. Had some upgrades ... wide track wishbones, front & rear calipers, sport turbo seats, 4 point harness and heater (recommended by Simon to keep Dawn, my wife, nice and warm). Also had the aluminium panels, brake lines and fuel lines fitted by Westfield.

Not intending racing her but more to roam the countryside during weekends ...

Picked her up on Saturday (4/11/2017) and is now proudly sitting in the garage. Sunday was the first day and already hitting questions.

Thanks to the previous build blogs we know that the 'indicator relay' does not fit through that hole ... how did everyone get round putting it through the hole?

Thanks for reading 

Mark

• Like 1

Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO

Welcome Mark!

Looks like you have got the right idea and posted a build thread.

It will prove to be invaluable over the coming months so post plenty of photos along the way and the eagle eyed builders on here will keep you right :t-up:

Ben (bunje)

welcome to the club mark

your not to far arway from me i live in sedgley and work in halesowen

MrMgoo
Just now, bunje said:

welcome to the club mark

your not to far arway from me i live in sedgley and work in halesowen

Hi bunje, good to know ... but be careful ... I may be over yours every other day with questions :-)

MrMgoo
15 minutes ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

Welcome Mark!

Looks like you have got the right idea and posted a build thread.

It will prove to be invaluable over the coming months so post plenty of photos along the way and the eagle eyed builders on here will keep you right :t-up:

Thanks Chris. I'll make sure there are plenty of photos 

Ben (bunje)

no problem mate ask away

AdgeC

:ww: from sunny Somerset. Good start by creating a build thread, the ability to tap into the experience on here is invaluable I've found, photographs are always useful, the more the merrier.

A simple tip from someone who has recently completed a build, make sure you enjoy it!

MrMgoo
Just now, AdgeC said:

:ww: from sunny Somerset. Good start by creating a build thread, the ability to tap into the experience on here is invaluable I've found, photographs are always useful, the more the merrier.

A simple tip from someone who has recently completed a build, make sure you enjoy it!

A tip I will take to heart:yes:  ... I may have hit questions on day one but I still cant wait to get home and carry on.

AdgeC

Don't forget, as a wise person said on here, "there's no such thing as a stupid question, only stupid answers".

Kevin (Mr T)
38 minutes ago, AdgeC said:

Don't forget, as a wise person said on here, "there's no such thing as a stupid question, only stupid answers".

Alternatively, "the only stupid question is the one you do not ask!"

:ww: and enjoy.

• Haha 1

BugMan
2 hours ago, AdgeC said:

I'd also like to say :ww: , and I think you will have great fun building, as am I, and the help here is fantastic.

As AdgeC says, no such thing as a silly question, if your not sure STOP, have a break, cup of tea and then ask on here.

I'd also recommend you get in touch with your local group, mine in Yorkshire are a great bunch of like minded people, from all walks of life with a common interest.

Did you go for any options on the FW?

Get snapping, we love pictures

• Like 1

Geoffrey (Buttercup) - North Yorkshire AO

:ww:from Scarborough.

Andy (Sycho)

:ww: Enjoy the build & has anyone said we need photos.:yes:

MrMgoo
11 minutes ago, Sycho said:

:ww: Enjoy the build & has anyone said we need photos.:yes:

Yep photos are a must

MrMgoo

So I've put the wiring loom in place last night and loosely tied to the clips, will check it over the weekend with more daylight just as a final check. Decided to start on the pedals ... obviously everything loosely. Clutch is fine, accelerator is fine but the brakes ...  cant get the bolt through. Managed to get the phone by the bolt hole to take a picture to find the reason why. Tried a bit of sand paper but I'd be there till tomorrow

Off to Halfords or B&Q tonight to get a file !

pedals.thumb.jpg.008578c27bbe245f15be22a0f0516f45.jpg

pedals1.thumb.jpg.e8b08e5ae99b6d171017ce47ff4e9f26.jpg

bolthole.thumb.jpg.c54b086f5c9c7b93a2475770dffc94ef.jpg