KugaWestie

Cobra 427 Build

KugaWestie

It has been a busy few days wheeling and dealing, and then collecting parts all weekend.

It started on Saturday morning with a 350 mile round trip to pick up this beauty.

59f62f7434d96_RV81.thumb.JPG.9f4685fe4c35db96a0b320f3aa156315.JPG59f62f76a3dd0_RV82.thumb.JPG.2337dee5f9b54eba2c40dc46ad8fabd9.JPG59f62f785f5df_RV83.thumb.JPG.586380f4560c805d70cc77e99f424aa7.JPG59f62f7a183cb_RV84.thumb.JPG.1d007b38d55450e112147ef5e20ade2a.JPG59f62f7b9e9b1_RV85.thumb.JPG.5df550b9ebb711b4f740f4487f4037d5.JPG

A Rover V8 engine that has been stripped, chemically cleaned, rebored and rebuilt with an upgraded cam and new clutch. Mated to a 5 speed manual refurbished gearbox. The added bonus was a bootful of spares and an all important V5

• Like 3

KugaWestie

Closely followed by a more local trip to Kettering today to pick this lot up.

Special thanks to @CL290005 for helping with collection and Lue Howard for storing the kit

Cobra 1.JPG

Cobra 2.JPG

Cobra 3.JPG

Cobra 4.JPG

Cobra 5.JPG

Cobra 6.JPG

Cobra 7.JPG

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

KugaWestie

Todays collection also included this beast

V12_1.thumb.JPG.7096d26fa136b40dcb5aa3a33fe91ead.JPG59f630fadafa0_V122.thumb.JPG.6ddfd86d87450cd42343bf293128f53b.JPG

A 5.3HE Jaguar V12 engine complete with auto box and loom

I wont be using this though, so it is on ebay along with a V5 to hopefully recoup a bit of cash

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F272906738104

Thrustyjust

Any old iron, any old iron , any,any old iron.................................:d

bl**** pikeys...............

AdgeC

Great, a new build thread!  Looks an intriguing project, looking forward to more.

• Like 1

KugaWestie
13 minutes ago, Thrustyjust said:

Any old iron, any old iron , any,any old iron.................................:d

bl**** pikeys...............

Make sure you're garage is locked up :laugh:

• Haha 1

KugaWestie
Just now, AdgeC said:

Great, a new build thread!  Looks an intriguing project, looking forward to more.

Might be a while before things start to move, got some noggin scratching to do first

• Haha 1

Thrustyjust

The picture of you all in the garage, look like dodgy moonshiners :d

Look forward to the build. What make of Cobra is it ?

• Haha 1

KugaWestie
On 29/10/2017 at 20:33, Thrustyjust said:

The picture of you all in the garage, look like dodgy moonshiners :d

Look forward to the build. What make of Cobra is it ?

:laugh:

It was sold originally in 2001. A Classic Replicas Viper kit. It's not made anymore.

I think there may need to be some chassis/footwell mods.

It's one of the harder ones to build apparently

Thrustyjust

Starting with a blank sheet is easier than a half built. Should be fun and look forward to seeing your tales. A mate built a Ram cobra many moons ago. Originally with a Rover V8 on carbs as was running out of money. Then we fitted a Ford 351 Cleveland with a Supra box, which I think was quite a common conversion. Went like stink. Think it had a hole in the fuel tank the way it got through the stuff. Came from Real Steel as a dyno run new build engine. Being I was an air con engineer, I was volunteered into welding the rad pipework up in copper ' borrowed from our stores' hmmmmm :oops:. We spent a month fitting the engine, with mates dad fretting over damaging the body , when swinging the engine and box in. I seem to remember , we had to fit the rad first before the engine, as it wouldnt go in the other way round. So, we got it swopped, turned the key and it ran !!  Then, we tried to get it out the drive and it wouldnt go. We did the engine change at his parents house. The Ford lump was so much heavier than the Rover, it dropped the suspension by a couple of inches. The drive was a shingle stone and had ridges where cars had worn it down. So, we left the mate now levelling the 200 yrds of drive, just so he could drive his car out. Took him 3 weeks :d

• Haha 1

BugMan

Looks interesting, keep the up-dates comming

• Like 1

Howsafe Workwear and Safety Equipment

Does it have a chassis Gary? bit of a job to see from the pics!

Looking forwards to seeing this one come together - hopefully you may get it fnished before my 718 :oops:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

KugaWestie
1 hour ago, Howsafe Workwear and Safety Equipment said:

Does it have a chassis Gary? bit of a job to see from the pics!

Looking forwards to seeing this one come together - hopefully you may get it fnished before my 718 :oops:

Yes there is a chassis in the kit, it is tucked under the body at present

• Like 1

Steve (sdh2903)

Ooh nice one gary. A cobra is definitely on my radar but I keep getting sucked back to the Gardner Douglas site which means it will be 2030 before I can afford one!!

Keep the updates coming looking forward to see how you get on:t-up:

• Like 1

Howsafe Workwear and Safety Equipment

watching with interest - you dont do anything by halves do you :d

• Haha 1