13 Inch Tyres

Terzo204

I'm going to use the Avon ZZR's for dry's, but I don't believe Khumo are doing the Ecsta V70's in 13/185's in soft any more. They have been discontinuted according to Demon Tweeks

What are the alternative 13 inch tyres (for wets) for up to 40 minute races?

My view is if 1B tyres then no need for wets. If 1C then when I went over to 1C tyres I sought advice and most sprinters reply was... my wets have done a large mileage.....in the trailer and never been used!

It really does need a lot of standing water to see the benefit of a dedicated wet tyre. So with cost of tyres and rims for something I would never or hardly ever use I decided not to buy any and I don't think I have missed not having them.

This is for racing though Paul, we'll actually go out on track when it's hammering down :p

I've only ever used what's on my car Mike, so no experience here really - apologies.

I race at Pembrey a lot and last year we raced several times in the wet (pouring rain in fact) and so I do need a set of wets. If its just standing water it's semi-slicks all the way.

Just now, AdamR said:

This is for racing though Paul, we'll actually go out on track when it's hammering down :p

I've only ever used what's on my car Mike, so no experience here really - apologies.

Thanks nonetheless Adam

I think the only option might be ZZS? Not sure these are availabel in soft though

Yeah I think compound makes more difference than anything - providing there are enough grooves to prevent aquaplaning.

The Nankang NS2R comes in a super soft (80 wear rating) in 15" and 17", not sure if it's available in 13s too? Have used that tyre on MX-5s in some pretty horrendous conditions and it clears pretty well.

25 minutes ago, Paul Morcom said:

My view is if 1B tyres then no need for wets. If 1C then when I went over to 1C tyres I sought advice and most sprinters reply was... my wets have done a large mileage.....in the trailer and never been used!

It really does need a lot of standing water to see the benefit of a dedicated wet tyre. So with cost of tyres and rims for something I would never or hardly ever use I decided not to buy any and I don't think I have missed not having them.

It's wet in wales!

7 minutes ago, AdamR said:

Yeah I think compound makes more difference than anything - providing there are enough grooves to prevent aquaplaning.

The Nankang NS2R comes in a super soft (80 wear rating) in 15" and 17", not sure if it's available in 13s too? Have used that tyre on MX-5s in some pretty horrendous conditions and it clears pretty well.

I'll do some digging as I saw these and I know some people rate them.

Sounds good. I think the 'issue' with tyre reviews though is that they are so subjective, ideally need a back-to-back opinion or someone experienced who has used a LOT of tyres in your specific application!

Yes you are right Adam, but no one ever wants to share that info!

Just found this on the Nankang website "TREADWEAR index: 180 (street) is the only compound now produced by the factory"

• Like 1

Yes if racing then a different need. You are right it can be wet at Pembrey more often than not. Try wrapping sheep round your dry tyres.

I only have sprinting experience but Alan Mugglestone has tested some tyres and ended up with Nankangs and rates them highly on his Raw Fulcrum. Though I have heard other say that they are no good.

Worth talking to him as he is a professional in the motorsport world, but he may charge you for his advice.

• Haha 1

Yeah, the AR-1s are in the 80 compound and I have heard they are good for dry sprinting, but are more like ZZR in their tread pattern style (eg. very scant!).