James' S2000 build

phoenix66

Hi all,

I made the trip up the factory last week to pick up my S2000 kit. I owned a second hand Marlin Berlinetta some years ago, but this is my first build. 

Having unpacked and catalogued during the week (there is loads missing), I started building today and had a pretty productive day. The first four panels are on, the loom mounts are in place and the loom is very loosely in too. 

I have come up against a couple of issues though, which seem mostly to be problems with the manual. E.g. the manual shows the rear end of the loom going passenger side first, then across to the drivers side, but the loom has offside lights before nearside, dictating a different run. 

The one that is bugging me though is the fuel line run. The manual states that the fuel lines start at the drivers side bulkhead then run parallel to the brake line along the bottom of the tunnel. However the S2000 intake manifold is on the passenger side, so can I assume that the manual has simply not been updated from the Zetec version and that I should go with my instinct and run brakes on the drivers side and fuel on the passenger side?

Any advice on avoiding the gearbox mount would be appreciated too. 

Thanks 

James

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• phoenix66

• Adge Cutler- Dorset AO

• Thrustyjust

• Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ah, I have read too many build diaries lately

Work has been a bit busy for the last few weeks, so progress has slowed considerably. I have managed to get the steering finished, done some filling in the foot wells and a few other bits, but I'm hop

It’s a channel expander for his AiM digital dash - a way of connecting extra sensor inputs etc on top of the connections already built into the dash.

Posted Images

Thrustyjust

Hi James, I guess we met last week at the meeting ? As said throw the Zetec manual away. Its mostly a waste of time for S2000 builders. The fuel pipes run from the passenger side , along the middle and splay under the diff area. The loom runs in the trans tunnel to the connectors under the scuttle . Check the wiring info on each wire. The loom will say O/S indicators and N/S indicators, which will dictate on how it runs.

59e24130603ef_39Brakeandfuelpipesunderfloor.thumb.jpg.0f67115db302ee6b4fd956107cde8b97.jpg

Stu Faulkner

Hi James.  :ww:

Firstly, the manual is rubbish, there I've said it.

IIRC the rear wiring loom goes around the driver side first and then to the passenger. As long as everything reaches where it needs to be then you can't go wrong.

As with the fuel lines they do go on the passenger side. The manual tells you to put them under the floor which is fine but mine wend down the tunnel.

This is tight to say the least but they do fit but you will need to fit the gearbox and take plenty of measurements first.

Good luck with your build by the way.:yes:

I can't believe there were bits missing from your kit.:oops::oops:

• Haha 1
Andy (Sycho)

:ww: James 

You say manual, what manual. I've yet to see one so I don't believe it exists! 

But as Stu & Justin say loom goes to drivers side first & fuel lines go down passenger, just take the Zetec manual as a very rough guide.

Nice to see a new s2000 build not been one for a while:yes:

Andy 

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated. 

Justin, yes, that was me. Thanks for the pic, it's really useful. What did you use to fill the gaps in the passenger footwell bulkhead? I was shocked by how bad a fit that panel is!

Cheers,

James

Adge Cutler- Dorset AO

:ww:from sunny Somerset.

Well done on starting a build thread, you won't regret it, there's a wealth of hands on experience on here that you can tap into, photos are always good as well.  As said previously, at best use the manual as a guide only, I found other build threads a great source of information both before, and during my recently completed build.

As for panel fits, it's suprising how much silicone will bridge, although I did use an Ali spacer on my drivers side footwell panel.

Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO

Welcome James. Enjoy the build and keep asking questions.

Thrustyjust

Morning James, which panel are you talking about ? If you are talking about the gaps around the rails to the panels, then its a bit of silicon sealant. If I did it again, I would use polyurethane adhesive as thicker and more aggressive with staying put. Just dont get it on your hands !! 

Oh and ignore the foot rest panel in the photo, this was done like this because I was using the Zetec manual, but seems the factory still cant be ar&ed to do the proper manual. Hopefully Mark has sent a few dropbox things , but most of those arent much use. Like I said , your build thread here means that many builders will be able to help reasonably quickly and if you do get really stuck, I will pop in and help you. 

Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO

I'd take TJ up on his offer. Also at various stages of your build it's great to have another S2000 you can visit to look at and take pics of ! @lloydox and @Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary were a big help in this respect during my build!

Andy (Sycho)

Photos speak a thousand words & we like photos:yes:

I used carbond on all my panels & to fill any gaps around chassis rails, mask things up, wear disposable gloves as it gets everywhere.I also used solvent clean to clean things up & smooth the adhesive out if it squished out.

Welcome to the dark-side, and I echo what everybody says the FW manual I downloaded and printed at work is a guide, as the suppled build manual (bound) is pretty worthless.

I have just had my local group round to my gaff to look at progress and had lots of useful advice and suggestions, and although I building a Sport, I have used ideas and suggestion from over this forum, and I've picked up ideas from others build threads.  

Today for example, I was going to use contact adhesive to fix the heat shielding on the foot wells but when we talked through I became apparent this was not a good idea as I had not considered the heat, or the fact some of this stuff is flammable in some instances/products. Pooled knowledge RULES

My advice is take a shed load of pictures as you go, keep this build log up-to date and post as you go as the knowledge base here is invaluable, and in my experience PRICELESS

Just a thanks to my local club for commingling round, I really appreciate it

• Like 2

Good luck James and enjoy the build! It's well worth the hard work. Only recently got mine finished and on the road but it's great! Ballistic!

All the info you need is on here but unfortunately a lot of photos have disappeared because of photobucket changes. Manual isn't much use as said, but ask WF for the Dropbox link if you don't already have it, there is some useful stuff on there.

• Like 1

Hi all,

Thanks for the good wishes. 

I've got the pipe work laid out now, but not pinned down, but I'm concerned that I might have clearance problems on the fuel lines once the gearbox is in. Any thoughts from these pics?

Also, it's not clear as to whether the brake line should pass over or under the last cross brace at the rear end of the tunnel. 

Thanks,

James

IMG_1923.JPG

IMG_1924.JPG

IMG_1925.JPG

Thrustyjust

I ran mine inside the tunnel to then go round to the brake T piece. Remember also that the 2 fuel lines need to be almost together at the rear gearbox mount. I 'think' the gearbox mount is 100 mm centres ? Take a line from the middle of the chassis bracket and measure the gearbox mount location from that. Then make sure the fuel pipes clear it.

Adge Cutler- Dorset AO

Assuming you've got the Mazda dif, as I have. Suggest the brake pipe goes over the horizontal cross member, follow the diagonal up, and loop round to the tee as TJ said. Keep it tight to the side as it exits tunnel, the dif takes up quite a bit of room! See photos below.

image.thumb.jpeg.7497d87bf418016f00b4803549cb0f70.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.2443bb0e38abf66ac5539d930ca63ff5.jpeg

Hope this helps.

Make sure the fuel and brake pipes don't touch the chassis when finally clipped in place.