FHR MSA stickers

Paul Morcom

Looking at MSA agreed changes to the Year Book (Blue book) I see that FHRs will need to have an MSA stickers (as per helmets do currently) next year - £2.50 cost.

Nice little earner for somebody - not sure if scrutineers or MSA get the money.

I hope the trend of MSA making something mandatory and then charging to have it checked does not become the norm.

You would think these costs would have been covered by our race licence fee.

Spotted The FIA approved plumbed in fire extinguisher system for all competition cars too.

MSA Slowly killing off entry level motorsports.

sticker is going to be interesting where they put it . to stop it wearing out .

1 hour ago, Dave (OnliestSmeg) - Manchester AO said:

Spotted The FIA approved plumbed in fire extinguisher system for all competition cars too.

Dave,

But only when a fire extinguisher is required.

At the moment sprint and hill climb cars do not require a fire extinguisher, it is only recommended in the blue book (10.1.14. Fire Extinguishers – K.3.1.2(a) recommended for discharge into cockpit and engine compartment.). The changes do not introduce a mandatory requirement for sprints and hill climb cars.

So we need to keep an eye on Section S for any future inclusion.

• Thanks 1

On 10/4/2017 at 11:00, Dave (OnliestSmeg) - Manchester AO said:

Not that slowly in my world!

• Like 1

I cant see what use another sticker is! Dubious about what the blue helmet sticker denotes as well. The helmet and Hans have got he correct spec on them so what extra does the MSA sticker provide.

At a push I can see logic with helmets because sometimes you need to look under the inner lining for a sticker which is slow and a risk of dropping with all the fiddling but no point for HANS at all.

David

Scruts still look inside the helmet and under the lining to check the spec even when the sticker is fitted!

Some scuts want the Hans device actually fitted to the helmet whereas other don't!

• Like 1

I also can see the logic for a helmet sticker, to save looking inside... however at every hill climb I’ve competed in they still look for the snell / fia stickers.... when I asked a scrute why they look inside he said that it has been known that the msa blue sticker has been faked, and also the snell / fia stickers... hence they need to look inside every time...

if this is the case - what’s the point of the blue sticker ??  As for the FHR, I guess that the same will apply, so what is the need for a blue sticker... ?? 

• Like 1

I know many of the Scruts personally and they still check everything etc including overalls, helmet etc

I haven't done many events recently but with my helmet they seem to see the sticker and then look for damage. They don't look inside for labels 

Hans damage will be looked at too. I have first hand experience! Make sure you watch the scrutineers when they handle your equipment, especially ones with butter fingers!

talking to a scrutiniser today at Curborough he said they want the sticker as several Hans devices have been found to be cheap "copies" and unsafe. Lets hope they don't find out how to forge a bus sticker

23 hours ago, terry everall said:

talking to a scrutiniser today at Curborough he said they want the sticker as several Hans devices have been found to be cheap "copies" and unsafe. Lets hope they don't find out how to forge a bus sticker

I would like to see the MSAs evidence of these so called copies. 

I suspect it's just another excuse to get money out of us. 

Given that the market is relatively limited for such devices I hardly think it would be profitable enough to make it worthwhile copying in the first place. 

15 minutes ago, mark.anson said:

I would like to see the MSAs evidence of these so called copies. 

I suspect it's just another excuse to get money out of us. 

Given that the market is relatively limited for such devices I hardly think it would be profitable enough to make it worthwhile copying in the first place. 

I agree and if really the case then the solution should be reporting to trading standards and chasing whoever sold them.