13" Tyre choice

Scotty72

After a wet blyton trackday I'm looking to switch from R888's to something that gives more grip in wet/damp conditions. Ideally i would have gone for R1R's but there seems to be less tyre options for 13" rims. What would be the tyre of choice?

A good quality road tyre works well, eg. Michelin, Continental. Only ~2s a lap slower than 888s in the dry too...

1 hour ago, AdamR said:

A good quality road tyre works well, eg. Michelin, Continental. Only ~2s a lap slower than 888s in the dry too...

....with Adam behind the wheel anyway! :d

Michelin don't make suitable size 13" tyres do they?

I previously used 888r's which worked well in the dry (horrendous in the wet) I've now moved to ZZS' as I could get 245 width which suited my 10" rear rims. Not used these yet so can't give experiences, but they are used in the Caterham series, so I suppose they're okay. 

Expensive, but maybe Yoko AO21 would suit you? I think they're available in 205/60 and 185/60/13?

• Like 1

I really was after some Toyo R1r but they dont come in 13"

Does it matter if I change to 15" rims?

What difference will it make?

Just to be uncharacteristically controversial - you are all driving the wet line in the wet aren't you...?

Yes Russ I tried the 'wet line' but still couldn't find any grip on the wet/damp tarmac. I was even spinning the rears up in third gear on the straight which was proper squeaky bum time!

I have not tried the with the Yokohama A021  ,  but enjoy the  A539 which also appears popular.  

Daniel

I must be in the minority but I like AO48s and R888Rs in the wet.  I find them nice and progressive and only an issue when there is a large expanse of standing water.

• Thanks 1

Nankang NS2-R's are good in the dry and the wet. I run them all the time now. 

• Like 1